Thread: Main Gauche?

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst
    Quote Originally Posted by Annoying View Post
    First:
    Read This.
    It provides fantastic insight.

Second:
    I don't think they want us using slow offhands, they just want the speed of both weapons to matter much much less. MG in it's current iteration essentially nullifies the difference between MH weapon speeds, and nullifies the difference between OH weapon speeds -- but only to a certain extent. If you get much slower than 1.6 on the offhand, your combat potency suffers enough that MG and KS's slow offhand benefit won't keep up with how much energy you're losing. If your mainhand gets faster than 2.4, you'll lose enough special damage that MG procing more won't keep up with the damage lost. It's a rather elegant solution, at least in it's current iteration. How it scales with more mastery rating is TBD, but we'll find out once someone takes the sit-down time to effectively figure out what we're up against.
    Thanks for the link Have been looking for an Aldriana post about main gauche but couldn't find it. It makes sense that they implemented it as a factor to balance out how much weapon speed matters.

Personally, I'd rather have a mastery that makes sense and rewards good itemization choices rather than a silly one that partially negates bad ones.
    But maybe thats just me.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Prandur View Post
    Personally, I'd rather have a mastery that makes sense and rewards good itemization choices rather than a silly one that partially negates bad ones.
    But maybe thats just me.
    No, this is not just you

I like the mastery, but the current numbers are quite underwhelming.

a 10% proc chance and +1,25% for every mastery.

If they dont up the proc chance and +1,25% for every mastery-point, I doubt this will be competing to other stats.

But maybe thats just me.
    Maine Gauche is useful, if nothing for this:

Combat rogues no longer have access to improved poisons, and deadly poison stack dropping is a very real possibility again without stacking a ton of haste. Main gauche synergizes with the haste to allow deadly poison to stay stacked and increase instant poison procs. If it were the old hack and slash method this wouldn't hold true and you'd be seeing deadly stack drop every now and again.

We can always use Shiv if the stack is about to fall off,just that this mastery seems kinda weak compared to the other ones.

Quote Originally Posted by Avengerx View Post
    We can always use Shiv if the stack is about to fall off,just that this mastery seems kinda weak compared to the other ones.
    Based on my observation, specials don't proc combat mastery. If they did, and the OH had a guaranteed combat potency proc (not sure if it's supposed to be 100% chance, or 20% like any other OH attack), then it could be pretty powerful--powerful enough to make a combat rogue GCD locked (which is not very fun, but being able to spam SS every 1.0s does sound attractive).

Still, using shiv to refresh deadly stack is not an optimal situation. Main Gauche's extra off hand attacks generate extra dp stack refreshes, which are extra instant poison procs. And it does this without having to throw 34-35 energy at a shiv every now and again (which is a waste of energy).
    Last edited by shadowboy; 2010-09-30 at 06:50 PM.

Eh I wrote that in haste and didn't came out the way I wanted it to be (I wanted to say that I would rather swap the current one for a mastery that's easier to manage,maybe a flat damage %, or energy regen to our CP generators and then maybe use shiv once in a while to keep up dp)
    Im of course aware that would be a waste of energy, but it is quite possible that at lower mastery levels we will indeed be having problems with dp falling off.
    As far as I know its still 20% for the mastery procces like other OH attacks. Now specials able to proc mastery would be a good way to increase our dps , might be a bit OP but still would be nice.

I don't think it would be OP, personally. Currently hack and slash can proc off instants as well as autoattacks. If the Main Gauche attack GUARANTEED a combat potency proc, then yeah it would be OP if it were off instants, too.

A good, and subtle buff to combat mastery would be either 100% chance for combat potency on Main Gauche attacks, or go back to normal 20% combat potency proc chance, but allow Main Gauche to proc off instants.

I prefer the latter myself--then the mastery scales better with haste (more haste = more energy regen = more instants, in addition to autoattacks).

If nothing else you have to admit that the combat mastery is the most complex of the 3 and has the most depth.

(think sword spec's retarded brother)
    I couldn't help but laugh at this misguided comment.

http://db.mmo-champion.com/s/35551/combat-potency/

Is why this is 1000x better than sword spec when you have higher mastery rating.

Not necessarily (not saying it's better or worse). 1: Sword spec as it currently is will proc off swings from MH, OH, and special attacks. 2: sword spec procs always result in a MH swing, so the damage per proc is greater.

Comparing sword spec as it currently is to high levels of mastery is a moot point. If you really wanna make an apples to apples comparison, say 1.25% per mastery point of Main Gauche as it is vs 0.625% per point of mastery of any melee attack proccing a main hand swing. This will compare baseline mastery in 4.0 with current implementation of sword spec.