PTR mastery test

So I decided today to go to the reforger in orgrimmar and get as much mastery as i possibly could get just to see how my dps was affected. I lost a ton of crit and haste but i gained 10 mastery points bringing my total to 18%. the result is an extremely random dps result. one test I spiked to 8k others I couldnt get past 5k but that is not the biggest point. Looking at level 85 items on the front page of mmo-champion and the amount of mastery on them. and looking at how much mastery I got just from reforging; I could do roughly the same dps dropping all that haste and crit for the small 10% of mastery I got yet at level 85 I cant see any reason why 50% ++ mastery isnt possible with the gear they are showing and the amount of mastery on these (blue) items. Imaging your dps at level 85 with a hand of light proc on every other white attack without the loss of stats from reforging? Makes me think that paladins really arent behind once they hit level 85 but also worries me as I am a week away from shadowmourne and seeing this i cant contemplate how blizzard can buff the ret class as they seem as if they would be waay overpowered at level 85 if they do so, thus my shadowmourne would be wasted when 4.0 goes live .
    I dont play in a hardcore no-lifer guild, but in a 2 days a week "hardcore" mythic guild.

10+ Year Old Account
    Why would it be wasted? You will still be doing more damage with it than you would with whatever weapon you have now. 4.0 will be around for a month I'd assume before Cata hits and then you'll be replacing it with an instance blue anyway, so get it and enjoy it while you can.

just for a comparison i was doing ~6.5-7k max before I switched to mastery stats
    I dont play in a hardcore no-lifer guild, but in a 2 days a week "hardcore" mythic guild.