15+ Year Old Account

Leatherworking - Worth it?

Hello,

My main is currently an Orc Shaman I've had since Vanilla. He has always been a Skinner and a Leatherworker. I got his professions maxed during BC but I didn't raid, so I never read all that much into professions. Now, in WoTLK I stuck with my professions and leveled to 80 on him about three months before Ulduar was released. I'd only recently hit 80 when a friend asked if I wanted to fill a spot in his guilds 25man Naxx run, on the pretense that a filled spot is better than an empty slot, no matter the gear.

After the run (Where I got most of my tier 7 for Enhance, and a bunch of offspec stuff) the Guild leader urged me to apply for the guild.
    I of course got in, and slowly but surely, began reading up on raid info, class info and all the usual min/maxing stuff.

So, of course, I knew JC/BS was the way to go, I however, stuck it out with LW and Skinning. Now, Cataclysm is dawning on us and just like it was with WotLK, most Proffs are getting some awesome additions, where as LW seems to be left behind, once more.

I'm currently thinking of dropping LW and Skinning in favour of Alchemy and Herbalism (Said character will become a Goblin asap, giving the Racial for Alchemy) I will admit this change is spurred by the recent addition of what may be a Proff mount. The change to Lifeblood, or whatever it's called (Increases haste) which would be useful for an Elemental Shaman (Going Elemental in Cata)

However, if anyone can suggest something better, I'm quite happy to listen. I will add, this Shaman may not be my raiding main in Cata, so being able to make stuff for my raider would be a plus, but not required.

I do have the time and gold to throw into this Proff, whichever I take, and will use these new Proffs during the backend of WoTLK.

Sorry for the life story of my wee Shaman, again, any help would be appriciated.

10+ Year Old Account
    In the end you just have to decide for yourself what you want to do. Seems like you're already read up on cata info and know the numbers in reference to raid benefit.

LW is nice in that you can make your own armor as you level and make your own entry level epics. On the other hand, you sound financially well off game wise so it might not be a big deal for you to just buy things off the ah and such.

Overall it sounds like you have a plan already that you'd like to run with, and it does not have any glaring flaws. Having a max lvl alchemist to feed pots/flasks and ect to whoever you decide to raid with is probably going to be more beneficial in the end overall.

I have LW on my shaman now (coupled with Enchanting, rather than skinning). The only reason I picked it up was because I was under the assumption I needed it to reforge my own gear. Well Blizzard made a change to that little plan and now I'm out a bunch of gold and a profession that doesn't do much for me. Really the biggest perk I've had for LW is making a cheaper version of a leg enchant. That's it. I'll be dropping it for Cataclysm in favor of Alchemy (ironically), as it can always be useful and profitable. It also doesn't hurt that Alchemy is getting an awesome looking flying mount.

Quote Originally Posted by Radux View Post
    I have LW on my shaman now (coupled with Enchanting, rather than skinning). The only reason I picked it up was because I was under the assumption I needed it to reforge my own gear. Well Blizzard made a change to that little plan and now I'm out a bunch of gold and a profession that doesn't do much for me. Really the biggest perk I've had for LW is making a cheaper version of a leg enchant. That's it. I'll be dropping it for Cataclysm in favor of Alchemy (ironically), as it can always be useful and profitable. It also doesn't hurt that Alchemy is getting an awesome looking flying mount.
    Yea, it even gets worse, when you are caster with LW and you dont even get cheaper leg enchant. So far, it looks like LW will be poor profession, hopefully, they add some good only-LW perk(s).

I know it probably pales in comparison to some of the fun stuff that other professions are getting (that also means it can be duplicated easily with another prof) but LW also get a wrist enchant that can be nice too. But yea, I agree that LW doesn't appear to be getting a whole lot of cool stuff. I just might finally drop LW and Skinning (only because I needed it for LW and it fit pretty well..) on my druid.

15+ Year Old Account
    Seems a few are in the same boat. When the Wrist enchants first got improved (70? I think it was AP, to 130AP) I was glad I stuck with LW, but as gear improved it just didn't seem like such a big enchant anymore, sure its better than a normal enchant, but thats it's only one saving grace. As mentioned above the cheaper leg enchant is nice, but at the end of the day its the same enchant anyone else can get for a few extra mats. It would be a better reward if our leg enchants gave us better stats for the same mat cost of the normal one.

Of course we can craft good gear with the right recipe, but it still isn't enough to want to to stay a LW.

The Unstoppable Force
    15+ Year Old Account
    Where Thrall and the Horde needs me to be
    Speaking of which... Any news regarding whether we will be able to craft mini epic set gear like we could in TBC? Tribal = Rogue and feral druid set and so forth

Amazing sig, done by mighty Lokann

15+ Year Old Account
    Theres only one item listed on this website, I've not looked further just yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Krothar View Post
    Theres only one item listed on this website, I've not looked further just yet.
    The only other thing I will be keeping LW (and the other crafting proffs for my alts) will be for crafting 'entry' lvl pvp gear so I dont need to subject myself to lots of honor farming before trying rated BGs.

that is, unless blizz has gone back on their stance to allow crafted pvp gear to be worth making as an alternative.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dominating View Post
    I wish Blizzard would realize that adding features designed to achieve convenience for players in turn make this game more of a job

Quote Originally Posted by Venziir View Post
    Speaking of which... Any news regarding whether we will be able to craft mini epic set gear like we could in TBC? Tribal = Rogue and feral druid set and so forth
    more like WotLK style, currently there are 2 (i think) epics for everyone in leather or mail. SP mail and leather, agi mail and leather, not as a set, just individual pieces.

I hope LW is still useful, I mean, even now it's not that big of a deal. 400 extra hit points, some AP or SP and then some craftables at each level. As long as it is comparable to now, I'm ok with it. I do not and will not profession swap to min/max for progression raiding or PVP. More likely I'd do it for PVP, but I don't need a profession boost to beat a silly rogue.

Something you should keep in mind is that LW is the only profession that has resistance bonuses. The Frost Resist LW enchant can be a lifesaver for Heroic Sindragosa.

In the end because most of the professions have been equalized, the perks are more the condition. The leg enchants being the physical enchants doesnt save much, but the bracers enchancts are equalized for all the option.

The alchemy mount is cool, and being able to make flasks for your main would probably be a great way to go (I have 2 alchemists personally, one for transmutes, and one for flasks).

Just dont expect to get to go goblin soon. I would bet you will be 525 alchemy long before you can go goblin.