Thread: Forum indicator

15+ Year Old Account

Lightbulb Forum indicator

I've noticed since the shift that it is not immediately apparent which forum a thread is in (the link address doesn't indicate it). I see a lot of posts every day to threads that are in class forums etc where the poster doesn't realise the forum they are posting in. Because often, people who create new threads don't indicate the discussion type in the title. This is especially a problem when people click on one of the five most recently responded to threads on the front page.

A work around to this would be to have little icon indicators next to the recent activity topic links. For classes, the class icon could appear. But this could prove to be tricky for things such as the Cataclysm professions forum, etc, unless people became familiar with icon selections. Another idea would be to have a small indication in brackets to the left of the topic title. For example: [Druid] Race Changing in Cata? or [General PvP] What do you make of these changes?

Anyway, if you guys have any other suggestions about how we can tell immediately what forum a topic is in, speak up here and let the admin know.
    For the Alliance!

Forgive me for not offering up a solution, but, how hard is it for people to read the top of their page where it says MMO-Champion > Forum > "..." ?

The Patient
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lysah View Post
    Forgive me for not offering up a solution, but, how hard is it for people to read the top of their page where it says MMO-Champion > Forum > "..." ?
    I think he's talking about the recent posts that are shown on the front page, the content page.
    It doesn't show the forum of the thread/post and the URL doesn't indicate the forum either, it also takes you back to the last reply made in it, which can be all the way down, or worse, half way down :P

It's not hard, but it could certainly be better.
    It's too cluttered right now.
    Why would we want a link to MMO-C's start page (content) ? We can just click the logo.
    Why would we want to see "> Forum >" ?

Deleted
    I also see a lot threads in the cataclysm general forum that belongs to the wow general forum

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Robinhoodexe View Post
    I also see a lot threads in the cataclysm general forum that belongs to the wow general forum
    Report them and we will move them
    Dawwwwwww

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lysah View Post
    It's not a question of difficulty so much as often people don't realise what forum they are in and there is nothing to indicate what forum you are going to end up in when you click on one of the recent posts. It takes up extra bandwidth to click on a thread with a very generic title only to find that it takes you to the warlock forums (for example).

What this would solve:
    1. Unnecessary bandwidth used through extra page loading by hundreds of users per minute.
    2. Responses posted in the wrong forum.
    3. Having to scroll to the top or bottom of a thread when you are placed halfway down the page, only to find that you are in a forum you didn't expect to be in.

It could simply be better than it is. By having a little header or an icon that shows which forum each of the recent posts is nested within would do two things: a. Allow for people to go straight to that forum rather than the recent post (if it was a link rather than simply a header, an icon, whatever); b. Make it clear from the outset where you are going when you click on the thread title instead of clicking, scrolling up, going "d'oh, unexpected forum!", and clicking back or reloading the front page.

My suggestion surely has merit, as I'm sure most users have clicked on a recent post only to find that they have ended up somewhere they didn't expect - since a lot of thread titles don't indicate the forum they are in, and sometimes don't even indicate the content of the thread (eg. "Wow guys, have you ever...", or "Blizzard, lol").
    For the Alliance!

I concur, many times I've just wondered about some class spesific stuff and happen to notice a relevant thread title on the front page, and when I click it, I find that it's not actually about the correct class. For instance, sometimes I forget that there are two classes with restoration specs, so if I've wondered about what my alt shaman's new spec should be like and how the healing works in Cata, I click on "resto healing" thread only to find out they're talking about druids.

And I find it a bit tedious to always scroll up to check the sub forum of the thread, because it might not be always obvious whether people are talking about PvP in general or class specifically.

I think it would also be great to have a rule enforced that thread titles should be descriptive, disallowing those thread titles Gaiwyn last mentioned. It's what I was taught in school, titles should in one short sentence summarize or reflect what you wrote.

Granted, it's a bad habit to randomly pick threads from the front page given the amount of posts on these forums, and I have a low post count so you might not value my opinion much.