Page 1 of 3
LastLast
    Deleted

Which graphics card for Cata?

I bought a new system two months ago and the specs are

AMD Phenom II Black Edition 3,2GHz (dual core)
    4GB DDR3

I currently have a 9500GT since people told me gfx card doesn't really matter for wow. My fps is okay, but whenever there is heavy aoe or just large magic effects anywhere in the world my fps drops from 50-60 down to 30ish. Also tried the new water effects on PTR and the good/ultra setting drop my fps by 20. I think it's time for an upgrade.

Basically I want to run as smoothly as possible with water effects set on good and shadows maybe at fair. I'm really hoping not to spend more than 120 euros. So maybe a 5750 or a 4850 will do? 5750 would be better since it supports directx11. I was also considering gts250. The 5770 however is slightly out of reach. Any recommendations?

I might guess your processor is limiting your system too, as whenever there's heavy spellcasting & dropping framerate combined, it point's towards the processor (thinking of a raid environment now).

If you want to upgrade your GPU though, I'd consider a GTS 450, as it's faster than both 5750 and 4850, but costs around the 120€ mark (depending on the country you live in ofc)

AOE dropping your fps to 30-ish is totally normal, it will happen to everybody who hasn't overclocked.

Graphics card will hurt your performance slightly in Cataclysm with water effects and such, and if you're looking for upgrades in that field, do NOT buy gts2xx or Radeon 4k's since those do not support DX11 effects. With your budget Radeon 5750 or 5770 or GTX450/460. 460 would be the most powerful of those cards.
    Never going to log into this garbage forum again as long as calling obvious troll obvious troll is the easiest way to get banned.
    Trolling should be.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Khalelia View Post
    I might guess your processor is limiting your system too, as whenever there's heavy spellcasting & dropping framerate combined, it point's towards the processor (thinking of a raid environment now).

If you want to upgrade your GPU though, I'd consider a GTS 450, as it's faster than both 5750 and 4850, but costs around the 120€ mark (depending on the country you live in ofc)
    I am using the 955BE and don't have any issues. I run with a 5870 1gb. Everything at full max settings, tons of addons and I never have a problem fps wise. The 955BE is just fine for WoW and SC2 as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Kyocere View Post
    I am using the 955BE and don't have any issues. I run with a 5870 1gb. Everything at full max settings, tons of addons and I never have a problem fps wise. The 955BE is just fine for WoW and SC2 as well.
    OP specifically said fps drops to 30's while doing AOE in raids, and so does yours. Better graphics card will not change that in any way.
    Never going to log into this garbage forum again as long as calling obvious troll obvious troll is the easiest way to get banned.
    Trolling should be.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by vesseblah View Post
    OP specifically said fps drops to 30's while doing AOE in raids, and so does yours. Better graphics card will not change that in any way.
    I never said that. I also don't drop to 30 fps during aoe very often at all. I was mearly stating that the -55BE is not a weak cpu and capable of much more then WoW.

Quote Originally Posted by Kyocere View Post
    I do like it when people post nonsense in this forums. The 955BE is a quadcore processor, whereas the OP has an AMD Phenom II DUAL CORE processor (or if you prefere numbers, 555BE). You are having 2 more cores and even a faster clockspeed, so you're like saying an I3 is ok for WOW because an I7 does it perfectly (exageration, but you get the idea). In a core-unlocked state, the 555BE is comparable to an I3, if even.

Better luck next time in correcting me.

You should buy a 5750 if you can. The 9500GT is a pretty weak video card and that is the component that will bottleneck your system.

Quote Originally Posted by stalkerzzzz View Post
    You should buy a 5750 if you can. The 9500GT is a pretty weak video card and that is the component that will bottleneck your system.
    Not for WoW. CPU is all that matters for this game. 9600GT is weak graphics card for some new 3D titles though.
    Trolling should be.

What motherboard are you running?

You may be able to unlock your dual core into a quad.

Video is a Palit GTS450. Main display is a 24" full HD TV. Secondary display is an ACER 19" lcd at 1440x900.

Quote Originally Posted by vesseblah View Post
    Not for WoW. CPU is all that matters for this game. 9600GT is weak graphics card for some new 3D titles though.
    Looks like you don't know what you're talking about. He said 9500GT not 9600GT. That card is way behind the 9600GT in performance. I have a 8600GT which is very similar in performance and it can't handle high quality shadows,high draw distance and the new water effects from Cataclysm. His CPU is way better than what I have. It does hinder his performance but not as much as that GPU.

People are full of crap if they think CPU is all that matters. It's just as bad as trade chat nowadays with the misinformation.

Quote Originally Posted by stalkerzzzz View Post
    Looks like you don't know what you're talking about. He said 9500GT not 9600GT. That card is way behind the 9600GT in performance.
    You'd have a great career as a professional troll if it was possible considering the vigor you're sticking to typos. Oh well, there's always fast food industry.

Quote Originally Posted by Zyzzyx View Post
    People are full of crap if they think CPU is all that matters. It's just as bad as trade chat nowadays with the misinformation.
    WoW's performance in open world and questing is mostly depending on graphics card as long as you have good enough CPU. On the other hand WoW's performance in raids depends mostly on CPU as long as you have good enough graphics card.
    Trolling should be.

Why do you think that everyone who has a different opinion than yours is a troll? What typo are you referring to? Read his first post again. Look at the model of graphics card he has. Now go look up some benchmarks and see how bad it actually is.
    His CPU isn't that shabby. He could easily overclock it to around 4ghz because it's a black edition. But that won't do him that much good. Yes, the framerate drops in raids when you are doing some heavy aoe stressing the CPU. But the video card plays a roll in this too. It could be rolled out of the discussion if he had a video card a few times stronger but he doesn't.

Which 9500GT do you have ? With GDDR3 or DDR2 memory ? The GDDR3 version should be able to provide some playable fps with everything on Fair/Good, with exception of fps drops under 20 in some places.
    If you want to get the maximum of the Cataclysm graphics, HD5750 should do the job.
    Last edited by haxartus; 2010-09-23 at 10:58 AM.

Deleted
    Why do you think that everyone who has a different opinion than yours is a troll? What typo are you referring to? Read his first post again. Look at the model of graphics card he has. Now go look up some benchmarks and see how bad it actually is.
    He obviously fucking typed 9600GT instead of 9500 accidently.

/popcorn

facts:

1.)Processor is weak in its current state. Try unlocking the 2 locked cores (I guess you can be asked to use google on an how-to)then reevaluate again.

2.) I like how the discussion goes on with the GPU. I haven't read anything on the resolution he's playing at, so a 9500GT might be good (on a 15") or a catastrophe (on a 21").

It's just as bad as trade chat nowadays with the misinformation.
    True, as a statement, but obviously you'r on the misinformation side.

Deleted
    Sorry for causing a catfight.

a) It has DDR2 memory

b) I get "Enabling unleashing mode failed" when trying to unlock cores in BIOS.

c) I have a 22' widescreen and playing at 1680*1050

Sorry for causing a catfight.
    Shouldn' bother you too much, you're not responsible for the others.

a) It has DDR2 memory
    Not that nice, especially in combination with c.)

b) I get "Enabling unleashing mode failed" when trying to unlock cores in BIOS.
    You might need to restart your PC several times to get this done. Set it, save bios settings, wait for error messages, restart, go to bios, leave everything untouched, save settings................ I've yet to see a Phenom BE that couldn't unlock cores. Eventually you need to adjust Vcore, but there are guides around at hardware forums that will explain what to do (as we don't know your motherboard).

c) I have a 22' widescreen and playing at 1680*1050
    If you can unlock your cores and still face fps drops, then you should consider a new GPU. But, as long as your processor stays in its current state, it will limit a new GPU very much.
    Last edited by Khalelia; 2010-09-23 at 02:40 PM.