Page 1 of 2
1
2
LastLast
  1. #1

    Translator Add-On

    Has there ever been a translator add-on or something that would translate chat between factions. It seems to be a pretty simple straightforward translation and was just wondering if there was one out there or ever had been or if there was some reason no one had made one.

  2. #2
    one of the points of 2 fraction's is not being able to talk to each other

  3. #3
    There is a packet sniffer program that will intercept messages and display them in normal English in a command prompt window.

    It'll get you banned though.

  4. #4
    Theoretically yes and I have gotten it to work. Only certain exact phrases go certain ways so I ended up essentially using morse code in WoW to do cross faction chatting.

    Quote Originally Posted by Xathian View Post
    There is a packet sniffer program that will intercept messages and display them in normal English in a command prompt window.

    It'll get you banned though.
    Not if you use a hub and sniff on a computer or run WoW in a virtual machine. I'm not quite sure WoW sends text in plaintext anymore.

  5. #5
    Mechagnome Taianne's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Romania
    Posts
    542
    Quote Originally Posted by Xathian View Post
    It'll get you banned though.
    Indeed, in fact anything you'll use that allows cross-faction chat will get you banned.

  6. #6
    Any addon like this will be against the terms and conditions I believe, which state that you cannot facilitate communication between the two factions.

  7. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by kel View Post
    one of the points of 2 fraction's is not being able to talk to each other
    As far as I've heard, it was mostly due to the two factions players harassing eachother and so forth.
    There's plenty of NPC's from different factions who speak with eachother.
    i5 2500K | Gigabyte GeForce GTX 760 2GB | 2x4GB Kingston HyperX 1600MHz

  8. #8
    Hey at least you can still be obnoxious and use

    /spit
    /spit
    /spit

    ...etc macros.

  9. #9
    me and some aliance friends got on vent one night and figured out how to say some simple things in each others languages but i was wondering if theres an add-on that will just automatically translate it?

    not very conducive to the rpg idea in you cant even choose to attempt to be on good terms with the other faction. Wow is becoming extremely closed ended and linear in its plot rather than allowing you to make decisions like in older xpacks and in many other games. you can faction change but you have to disguise yourself as another race in order to do so and then you automatically understand them?

  10. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by ayako View Post
    Hey at least you can still be obnoxious and use

    /spit
    /spit
    /spit

    ...etc macros.
    Still hoping for a /umad emote.

  11. #11
    what about voice chat programs i don't see them banning everyone who chats with anyone who has an ally char on vent?

    or are they banning vent soon also?
    Last edited by Mixon; 2010-09-22 at 02:45 PM.

  12. #12
    Quote Originally Posted by Mixon View Post
    me and some aliance friends got on vent one night and figured out how to say some simple things in each others languages but i was wondering if theres an add-on that will just automatically translate it?

    not very conducive to the rpg idea in you cant even choose to attempt to be on good terms with the other faction. Wow is becoming extremely closed ended and linear in its plot rather than allowing you to make decisions like in older xpacks and in many other games. you can faction change but you have to disguise yourself as another race in order to do so and then you automatically understand them?

    My favorite is.

    You are an evil korean

  13. #13
    also can they not make one that only translates if you have the add on so if you are being harassed you can simply remove the add on?

  14. #14
    Someone probably could, but it's still against the rules.
    i5 2500K | Gigabyte GeForce GTX 760 2GB | 2x4GB Kingston HyperX 1600MHz

  15. #15
    Best Kitten Simca's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    9,416
    Quote Originally Posted by Mixon View Post
    Has there ever been a translator add-on or something that would translate chat between factions. It seems to be a pretty simple straightforward translation and was just wondering if there was one out there or ever had been or if there was some reason no one had made one.
    Yup, there was one in Vanilla, but they changed the language system to make it impossible.

    Here's how it currently works:
    Quote Originally Posted by WoWWiki
    This is the list of words created by the in-game language parser for the Orcish language, and is listed as language number one (word range 1-100) in the Language text file.

    Note: The language algorithm used by the in-game "translator" merely makes the words look like Orcish. It does not actually translate words. Therefore, translated in-game speech isn't true Orcish.

    Number of letters in word Word List
    One-letter words A, N, G, O, L
    Two-letter words Ha, Ko, No, Mu, Ag, Ka, Gi, Il
    Three-letter words Lok, Tar, Kaz, Ruk, Kek, Mog, Zug, Gul, Nuk, Aaz, Kil, Ogg
    Four-letter words Rega, Nogu, Tago, Uruk, Kagg, Zaga, Grom, Ogar, Gesh, Thok, Dogg, Maka, Maza
    Five-letter words Regas, Nogah, Kazum, Magan, No'bu, Golar, Throm, Zugas, Re'ka, No'ku, Ro'th
    Six-letter words Thrakk, Revash, Nakazz, Moguna, No'gor, Goth'a, Raznos, Ogerin, Gezzno, Thukad, Makogg, Aaz'no
    Seven-letter words Lok'Tar, Gul'rok, Kazreth, Tov'osh, Zil'Nok, Rath'is, Kil'azi
    Eight-letter words Throm'ka, Osh'Kava, Gul'nath, Kog'zela, Ragath'a, Zuggossh, Moth'aga
    Nine-letter words Tov'nokaz, Osh'kazil, No'throma, Gesh'nuka, Lok'mogul, Lok'bolar, Ruk'ka'ha
    Ten-letter words Regasnogah, Kazum'nobu, Throm'bola, Gesh'zugas, Maza'rotha, Ogerin'naz
    Eleven-letter words Thrakk'reva, Kaz'goth'no, No'gor'goth, Kil'azi'aga, Zug-zug'ama, Maza'thrakk
    Twelve-letter words Lokando'nash, Ul'gammathar, Golgonnashar, Dalggo'mazah
    Thirteen-letter words Khaz'rogg'ahn, Moth'kazoroth
    Basically, the languages just pick random phrases now, so it isn't possible to make an addon, because "kek" means lol, wow, hai, and tons of different words. It'd be pure guesswork.

  16. #16
    Keyboard Turner
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    England
    Posts
    1
    If both factions could talk to each other it wouldn't feel much like a war.

  17. #17
    Why would you even want that?
    I myself think it's good without it. If you want to listen to the Alliance, roll one of them. If you want to listen to the Horde, roll one of them.

  18. #18
    Or you just add ur ally friends on real ID?

  19. #19
    Quote Originally Posted by Mixon View Post
    what about voice chat programs i don't see them banning everyone who chats with anyone who has an ally char on vent?

    or are they banning vent soon also?
    Also I'm pretty sure I've chatted with RealID friends cross faction

  20. #20
    One of the fun parts of a PvP server is questing next to a member of the other faction. You don't want to attack him, but you don't know whether or not he's going to attack you. Theres a lot of friendly guys out there but is this guy one of them...

    If you could talk to him, then the risk is gone.

    ---------- Post added 2010-09-22 at 03:54 PM ----------

    Quote Originally Posted by Bunnysniper View Post
    Also I'm pretty sure I've chatted with RealID friends cross faction
    Talking to friends cross faction, doesn't really break the PvP feel. Because you already know who they are. Its the people you don't know that are your mortal enemys.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •