Archaeology heirlooms, mount etc...

Just a quick question... The mount, heirlooms, etc from Archaeology.. is it just random where you'll survey and you loot it or is it part of a project or artifact thing or whatever?

Each time you go to a digsite and find fragments they go towards a race depending on where the digsite is. you will work on one item at a time per race and once you have enough fragments you can click complete and finish the item. the next item for that race is picked randomly depending on your skill level and what items are from that race. Fragments carry over between different projects.

For example, I'm 70/75 shards to completing a random grey flavor item. I go to a site and find 9 fragments towards that race im working on. I click complete. I get the grey item and now I'm 4/??? towards the next item from that race. If im lucky, that item could be a heirloom/mount/ect if my skill is high enough to be finding those items.
    Last edited by Jerot; 2010-09-23 at 07:32 AM.

Okay. I just wasn't sure if you just looted like say an heirloom, or mount or novelty item from any random survey or if you had to "discover" it and obtain it thru a research project.

Yep, it's fairly random. If you're lucky, then say, the AQ mount could be the first high level item you randomly work towards completing.

Its quite random, but atm at 80+ gives more xp than quests(I got 86.6k each succeful survey)

Cause I have no life, and I like it

The AQ mount is pretty much the only reason I would want to do it tbh. Some of the pets and stuff are cool. Archaeology as a whole is intriguing I just hope it's not as mind numbingly boring as I fear it may be. But oh well. It's something new.