The Lightbringer
    15+ Year Old Account

Motherboard fan is loud

So the fan in my motherboard gets REALLY loud when I play games that require high or ultra settings and I tried to clean out the dust but its still pretty loud after. So im wondering do i have to buy a new fan just to make it sound quieter or can I do something about it?

Is it getting hot?
    ''See me rise, the mighty Surt Destroyer of the universe. Bringer of flames and endless hurt. Scorcher of men and earth!''

The Lightbringer
    15+ Year Old Account
    I would assume so since it doesn't get as loud as a lawn mower when I don't play a game and it does get loud when I play a game.

Deleted
    get a new one, or better get a new pc

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by bowtux View Post
    get a new pc
    Amateur hour ;o

The Lightbringer
    15+ Year Old Account
    I just built this last year...

New fan probably is the best thing you can do, or new motherboard. Motheboard fans tend to be really small which makes those also really loud compared to other fans in the computer. That's why most motherboards come with passive heatsinks again after having fans for few years.

If the sound has changed suddenly it's usually sign that there's some shit clogging the fan, or it's nearing the end of it's lifetime and needs to be replaced. Or your PC is overheating and the fan needs to work harder than before.
    Never going to log into this garbage forum again as long as calling obvious troll obvious troll is the easiest way to get banned.
    Trolling should be.

Getting a larger fan will help keep it quiet too.

Video is a Palit GTS450. Main display is a 24" full HD TV. Secondary display is an ACER 19" lcd at 1440x900.

The Lightbringer
    15+ Year Old Account
    Its a pretty large fan and its been loud for over 5 months I think. Guess im going to just replace it, and just wondering do I need a certain kind of fan for my motherboard or can I just get any fan?

Quote Originally Posted by Ave07 View Post
    Its a pretty large fan and its been loud for over 5 months I think. Guess im going to just replace it, and just wondering do I need a certain kind of fan for my motherboard or can I just get any fan?
    Needs to be exactly same size as the current one, or you'll have problems installing it. Of course if you're handy building stuff, you can get bigger fan instead. It'll be cooler and quieter, but does require some tinkering for solid structures to hold it in place. Also your current motherboard fan might have unstandard power connector or soldered directly into mobo without any connector which can cause more tinkering if it also has RPM or temp sensor and the mobo refuses to start if you just clip the fan off and plug one into the PSU directly. Replacing the fan is doable, but it's impossible to say without seeing it how much work it'll require.
    Last edited by vesseblah; 2010-09-23 at 10:08 PM.
    Never going to log into this garbage forum again as long as calling obvious troll obvious troll is the easiest way to get banned.
    Trolling should be.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ave07 View Post
    I would assume so since it doesn't get as loud as a lawn mower when I don't play a game and it does get loud when I play a game.
    Don't assume. Download a temperature monitor like Core Temp and see what your temperatures actually are.

Herald of the Titans pansertjald's Avatar
    15+ Year Old Account
    not to sound like a smart ass or anything...... but your motherboard fan? erh?

do you meen your case fan?...... if so. yes it sounds like you case fan is dieing or some of you hardware gets to hot and the fan then has to speed up, to hold the hardware cold
    AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D: Gigabyte X670 Aorus Elite AX: G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5-6000 C30 : PowerColor Radeon RX 7900 GRE Hellhound OC: CORSAIR HX850i: Samsung 960 EVO 250GB NVMe: fiio e10k: lian-li pc-o11 dynamic XL:

Deleted
    Smartass.
    He means Motherboard Fan.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Reguilea View Post
    Smartass.
    He means Motherboard Fan.
    can you plz tell me what a motherboard fan is then?........ never heard of it before.
    AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D: Gigabyte X670 Aorus Elite AX: G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5-6000 C30 : PowerColor Radeon RX 7900 GRE Hellhound OC: CORSAIR HX850i: Samsung 960 EVO 250GB NVMe: fiio e10k: lian-li pc-o11 dynamic XL:

Quote Originally Posted by pansertjald View Post
    not to sound like a smart ass or anything...... but your motherboard fan? erh?
    Fan on Northbridge (the RAM/AGP/PCIe) controller used to be really popular for over five years but vanished again just recently after everybody started putting huge heatpipe based coolers into the boards instead. Few boards still have fan on it, but most do not. Also the addition of more powerful integrated GPU into NB has forced some cheap boards to add fan there.

Found this new ASRock board with random poking that has a fan on the CPU power rectifiers (and Northbridge via heatpipe). v4 of the board has just bigger heatsinks instead of a fan.

Trolling should be.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by vesseblah View Post
    Fan on Northbridge (the RAM/AGP/PCIe) controller used to be really popular for over five years but vanished again just recently after everybody started putting huge heatpipe based coolers into the boards instead. Few boards still have fan on it, but most do not. Also the addition of more powerful integrated GPU into NB has forced some cheap boards to add fan there.

Found this new ASRock board with random poking that has a fan on the CPU power rectifiers (and Northbridge via heatpipe). v4 of the board has just bigger heatsinks instead of a fan.

arh okay

i have just never heard any one calling them motherboard fans. thats why i had to ask, because i had no clue on what he ment.
    i was sure that he ment he`s case fan

Most people refer to them as what they are - northbridge or chipset fans.

"Motherboard fan" could refer to any fan plugged into the motherboard; CPU, case, chipset or spot fans.
    5800X | XFX 7900XTX | Prime X570 Pro | 32GB | 990Pro + SN850 2TB | Define 7