Page 1 of 4
... LastLast

[HPallys] How are you going to level in Cataclysm?

Hey!

Ive been thinking for quite some time about what whould be the best way to level in Cataclysm.
    Personally i cant decide weather i should spec Ret and focus on questing or go Holy and focus on dungeons.
    Do you think that Holy will be a decent leveling specc?

Please share your thoughts and ideas how how you are planing to go from 80-85!

10+ Year Old Account
    by killing critters...lots of critters....

Prot, same dps output as ret, but I get to throw my shield at things.

Deleted
    Ret and questing. Blizzard has made it clear questing is the best way to gain rep and some half decent upgrades for those T9/T10 items.

Quote Originally Posted by Uridawnblade View Post
    Ret and questing. Blizzard has made it clear questing is the best way to gain rep and some half decent upgrades for those T9/T10 items.
    Sounds like a solid argument to quest. Thanks for that info!

Deleted
    I'll be farming dungeons mostly and may do a few quests to get some extra pieces of gear that are upgrades. I'll switch to prot for that if I can get my interface working properly.

Quote Originally Posted by Uniqed View Post
    Sounds like a solid argument to quest. Thanks for that info!
    I would just do the odd dungeon once in a while. Remember that especially at the start when many many people have to learn boss mechanics even for normals, dungeon runs can take some time.
    I wonder if the mana changes will get the few remaining healers instant queues. You have dual spec anyway so you can stay holy for some dungeons (do each one at least once for its quests)
    Samin
    Quote Originally Posted by Ashrana View Post
    So, what would be your reaction, if you found out, that come cata release first patch, blizzard were planning to kill everyone by sending a bear through the mail?

Most likely as a priest =P

The holy paladins in my guild are gong ret.
    Pondering returning.
    Nikoll - Retribution Paladin

Staying Holy... but I'm going to be leveling with a rogue and a mage so /shrug. I could go offspec ret or prot, have gear for both if I need to.

leveling ret, healing the odd instances as Holy I reckon.

I don't see how questing and dungeons have to be mutually exclusive. I'll Quest as Ret and Dungeon Queue as Holy.
    <WHAR LEWTS PLZ HALp>
    I'm bitter by default. Don't take it personally.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stir View Post
    Either give an argument, or be automatically wrong. Your choice.

Quote Originally Posted by Dareios View Post
    leveling ret, healing the odd instances as Holy I reckon.
    Provided they don't break Ret too badly, otherwise I'll just spam instances with the guild

I am lvling straight prot all the way. I do have a warrior and shaman lvling with me though

I have a Prot main spec, so thats an easy decision, but as for leveling, you queue dungeons (ideally dungeons involving a quest) when you have rest xp, and then quest it out when you dont have any rest xp, maximize those numbers.

And another thing, it would be a good time to start during the pre-launch, go fill your quest log with some high paying xp quests, complete them, but don't turn them in, wait until you have Cata, and then turn them all in for a good start on XP.

Leveling as holy probably wont be that bad this time.

I have a ret set just in case.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Nij View Post
    Leveling as holy probably wont be that bad this time.

I have a ret set just in case.
    This. Exorcism won't have a CD so who knows, might be fun... (will be leveling a tauren one from scratch though so won't really be part of the leveling race untless I manage to hit 80 between 4.0.1 and Cata's release...)
    Last edited by mmocd8e168cd75; 2010-09-23 at 07:09 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Chowderman View Post
    I have a Prot main spec, so thats an easy decision, but as for leveling, you queue dungeons (ideally dungeons involving a quest) when you have rest xp, and then quest it out when you dont have any rest xp, maximize those numbers.
    I'm pretty sure you don't understand how rested XP works. You will still use your rested XP while questing, just at a slower rate. There is no "maximizing numbers" using your method unless you are actually hitting the rested cap during your leveling.

And another thing, it would be a good time to start during the pre-launch, go fill your quest log with some high paying xp quests, complete them, but don't turn them in, wait until you have Cata, and then turn them all in for a good start on XP.
    As with every expansion launch, you can expect very limited returns from this tactic. Blizzard specifically puts measures in place against it.
    Last edited by Firecrest; 2010-09-23 at 07:14 PM.
    <WHAR LEWTS PLZ HALp>
    I'm bitter by default. Don't take it personally.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stir View Post
    Either give an argument, or be automatically wrong. Your choice.

there's this really cool thing called dual spec. meaning you can have two specs (I know, it's crazy). Imagine a Holy Paladin ALSO going Ret to do things like quest and run fast. Does this just blow your mind or what?
    Secure accounts ftw!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Clempson View Post
    "KING VARIAN, DEATHWING HAS DESTROYED HALF OF STORMWIND, WHAT DO WE DO!?"

"Build a statue of your king."

Quote Originally Posted by Firecrest View Post
    I'm pretty sure you don't understand how rested XP works. You will still use your rested XP while questing, just at a slower rate. There is no "maximizing numbers" using your method unless you are actually hitting the rested cap during your leveling.

As with every expansion launch, you can expect very limited returns from this tactic. Blizzard specifically puts measures in place against it.
    I know exactly how rested XP works, your quest XP will be the same even if not rested, and everyone knows that mobs in instances are higher than that of world mobs, so get those as your rested XP kills is more XP per kill than that while questing. And yes it is maximising xp.

Of course it will be a limited return because the amount of XP to level with each expansion is an exponential change...but when you dump a quest log with completed quests, it will give you a bit of a headstart...its not like it would make leveling worse.