Deleted

Low FPS in 25man.

Hi guys !

I need some help.
    When I'm in raids, in combat, i have terrible FPS.
    I say only in combat because generally when I'm out of combat i get a good 25-40 FPS.
    When i go into combat i generally drop down into the 8-12FPS.
    I've tried deleting my WTF and Interface folders, ran with zero mods, with some mods(Grid,DBM,Dominos)
    Outside of instances I'm getting between 35 - 60 FPS and zero lag. I've turned down the video settings in game, and pretty much tried to run with it, but my performance is less than stellar.

System Information:
    ------------------
    Operating System: Windows XP Professional (5.1, Build 2600) Service Pack 3 (2600.xpsp.080413-2111)
    Processor: AMD Athlon(tm) 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 6400+, MMX, 3DNow (2 CPUs), ~3.2GHz
    Memory: 3328MB RAM
    Page File: 1144MB used, 4067MB available
    DirectX Version: DirectX 9.0c (4.09.0000.0904)
    ---------------
    Display Devices
    ---------------
    Card name: NVIDIA GeForce 8600 GTS
    Manufacturer: NVIDIA
    Chip type: GeForce 8600 GTS
    DAC type: Integrated RAMDAC
    Device Key: Enum\PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_0400&SUBSYS_043810DE&REV_A1
    Display Memory: 256.0 MB
    Current Mode: 1280 x 1024 (32 bit) (75Hz)
    Monitor: Monitor Plug and Play
    Monitor Max Res: 1600,1200
    Driver Name: nv4_disp.dll
    Driver Version: 6.14.0012.5896 (English)
    DDI Version: 9 (or higher)
    Driver Attributes: Final Retail
    Driver Date/Size: 7/10/2010 00:38:00, 6343040 bytes

What wrong is with my PC?

Thank you for any help added here.

10+ Year Old Account
    Its you processor. It is working the way it should, but it is really slow for WoW.

1. Its an AMD Athlon 64 so its kind of old tech (2003 technology)
    2. Its a dual core
    3. Its speed is okay, but because it only has L2 cache, it is really slow for gaming.

Your graphics card is also on the Low side for WoW with the low Video memory.

And I dont think there is any use of upgrading anything, dont know if you even are able to upgrade anything.
    I think you need a new computer all together

I have a AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core 6000+ 3GHz, and my graphics card is a 8800GTX 756MB, I have 4GB of ram, and my game runs around 45-120fps. My guess is that if you upgraded your processor, you MAY see a tiny bit of improvement in fps, but honestly upgrading your graphics card to a ATI Radeon 5450 would be a cheap improvement, that could actually run today's high-end games on high to very high settings. World of Warcraft would run like a dream on this graphics card.
    If it's red, it's dead, so therefore please save yourself the trouble of trying to run.

Quote Originally Posted by bpl0807 View Post
    I have a AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core 6000+ 3GHz, and my graphics card is a 8800GTX 756MB, I have 4GB of ram, and my game runs around 45-120fps. My guess is that if you upgraded your processor, you MAY see a tiny bit of improvement in fps, but honestly upgrading your graphics card to a ATI Radeon 5450 would be a cheap improvement, that could actually run today's high-end games on high to very high settings. World of Warcraft would run like a dream on this graphics card.
    Either you don't do 25m raids or you play on a tiny screen.

A 5450 isn't intended to be a gaming card - it is intended as a multimedia card for HTPCs.

The lowest I would go for a new gaming card would be a 5670.

Video is a Palit GTS450. Main display is a 24" full HD TV. Secondary display is an ACER 19" lcd at 1440x900.

are dual cores bad? Lookin to upgrade my computer, not sure what I should be lookin for in terms of gameplay.

Quote Originally Posted by Sarahstrasza View Post
    are dual cores bad? Lookin to upgrade my computer, not sure what I should be lookin for in terms of gameplay.
    They are outdated and usually not worth buying when you can get new technology like an I5 quad core. For WoW and really any other game the I5 will have no problems with especially if you OC it.

No they are not. There are hardly any games (or even software in general) which take noticeable advantage of more than two cores.
    Although if I would buy a new CPU today I would also take a quad core CPU since they have gotten cheap and software will take more advantage of the additional core in the future. Still you should not expect a huge performance gain from using a quad core CPU compared to a similar (clock/cache/feature wise) dual core CPU.

For most things people do on a computer no they are not.

Wow is very cpu bound and effectively uses 3 cores. When you look the cost of getting more cores versus the cost of getting faster cores (often it isn't possible to get faster cores - both manufactures CPUs cap at around 4.2ghz on high end air cooling almost regardless of which model cpu you buy) more cores win by quite a bit.

Video is a Palit GTS450. Main display is a 24" full HD TV. Secondary display is an ACER 19" lcd at 1440x900.

I think my graphic card is ok... it's not awesome but it's definently not as bad as my older one... Regardless i'll probably update it but as far as my computer goes.. I think my motherboard just can't support most of my awesomeness.. It's just a matter of money and what not to get a new one. Until then, I am told to stick to melee because it's easier to achieve better dps in bad fps than it is caster, I'm curious as to if thats at all true or not.

I think my graphic card is ok... it's not awesome but it's definently not as bad as my older one... Regardless i'll probably update it but as far as my computer goes.. I think my motherboard just can't support most of my awesomeness.. It's just a matter of money and what not to get a new one. Until then, I am told to stick to melee because it's easier to achieve better dps in bad fps than it is caster, I'm curious as to if thats at all true or not.
    Just spam the crap out of your keys (instead of hitting them in response to the GCD). And choose a class where you don't have to watch for procs.

Deleted
    Refreshes

Deleted
    Well on my Pentium 4 i have about 10 fps in 25 man raids. And my friend always wonders how im so good at dps. On my t9 destro warlock i was top on dps on marrowgar and deathwhisper. Just spammed the hell out of my buttons. It feels like i do more dps with low fps than normal fps

Deleted
    Bump.

I'm wondering about the graphics card replacement to 9600GT 512MB.
    This will help anything?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Vidi View Post
    Bump.

This will help anything?
    NO not at all.. your will most likely get 1/2 fps more out of that change.
    ME and my mate had exactly identical clock speeds and gear in out systems. Except for GFX card I had an 9600GT he had an 8900GTX only 1/2 fps more on my system.

I highly suggest looking into the GT400 series or the HD5000 series if you're looking for a decent low budget-card these days.

GTX470 and the HD5770 are very decent budget gaming cards.

Quote Originally Posted by Reguilea View Post
    Well on my Pentium 4 i have about 10 fps in 25 man raids. And my friend always wonders how im so good at dps. On my t9 destro warlock i was top on dps on marrowgar and deathwhisper. Just spammed the hell out of my buttons. It feels like i do more dps with low fps than normal fps
    That's because with higher fps you can actually see the stuff spawning you should be out of :P
    (just kidding ofc)

15+ Year Old Account
    This side of an imaginary line in the sand
    There are hardly any games (or even software in general) which take noticeable advantage of more than two cores.
    This is changing so fast right now though that getting a dual over a quad is just a dumb move in general.

WoW gains a noticable improvement from 2 cores to 3, and sometimes 3 to 4.

Transcoding for your ipod or smartphone will always take advantage of a quad.

There's simply no reason to go dual core at all right now unless you're in high school living off a part time Tim Horton's paycheck.
    red panda red panda red panda!

If the motherboard has an AM2 socket (I believe the 6400+ was AM2) then the CPU in your computer can be upgraded, sometimes to one of AMD's most recent quad cores. Is the computer a custom build, and if so, what motherboard does it use?

If you're not sure, you can download CPU-Z (http://www.cpuid.com/softwares/cpu-z.html) and go to the Mainboard tab, it'll tell you which motherboard you have. With that information we can tell you what your computer supports.

The 8600GTS is a budget card from four hardware generations ago, that's worth an upgrade too. Upgrading to a 9600GT is a waste, as that's a three generation old budget card. Depending on the power supply in your computer (you may have to open it up for this one) you'd be better off getting a Radeon HD 5770 or a GeForce GTS 450 or something along those lines.
    Super casual.

Deleted
    In your case i would aim for 5770 , its still pretty cheap but will be fast enough for wow. CPU imho is good enough, also if you would decide to change it u will most likely be forced to change also motherboard to am3 and ram to ddr3 from ddr2. Which will increase total cost greatly.

Just get better graphic card and then decide about next step.

Quote Originally Posted by roztworek View Post
    In your case i would aim for 5770 , its still pretty cheap but will be fast enough for wow. CPU imho is good enough, also if you would decide to change it u will most likely be forced to change also motherboard to am3 and ram to ddr3 from ddr2. Which will increase total cost greatly.

Just get better graphic card and then decide about next step.
    AM2 motherboards can usually support AM2+ and AM3 CPUs unless their BIOS won't allow it, so replacing the motherboard and RAM may not be necessary. It makes for a pretty cheap upgrade.
    Super casual.

Quote Originally Posted by Vidi View Post
    Bump.

This will help anything?
    It won't do anything on its own. Judging by the specs, you probably have a CRT running at 1280x1024?

You need a newer more modern CPU AND GPU. (and even new board or power supply if your current won't support it)

AMD processors really struggle on WoW. Even Intel's lowly i3's put on a good show. That should be a minimum. ATI 5770 can be found for $100 or next step up is GTX 460 while supplies last. Both can handle 1280x1024 with ease and still have enough power if you get a newer 1080p widescreen monitor. This is assuming you can't upgrade easily and need a more extensive overhaul.