Thread: Tank health

Deleted

Tank health

So looking into the shiny epics mmo-champion posted today I wondered why tank plate has the same stamina value as leather or even cloth. Is it only our 15% more stamina that distinguishes us from the rest of healers and dps concerning healthpools? Anyone else finds that weird?

Maybe now you'll actually have to gem in other things like you used to, like... Dodge, parry?

edit: typo
    Last edited by Wheelz; 2010-09-27 at 10:50 AM.

Tanks have avoidance, high armor, and threat generation abilities, as well as survival/aggro specialized talents
    Stulti se laudant.
    Minecraft Survival Server: 203.206.166.219:25565
    http://www.youtube.com/user/fpiceail

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonwing View Post
    Tanks have avoidance, high armor, and threat generation abilities, as well as survival/aggro specialized talents
    This. Looking at my DK in tank gear, I have roughly 60% physical reduction (in DPS gear around mid 40) a static 13% reduction on all damage (Frost Pres and Blade Barrier), Stamina boosting talents, an ability to reduce fatal blows (Will of the Necropolis), Crit immunity and a shitload of Parry and Dodge (outside ICC, anyway).

DPS and healers have... pretty much nothing besides some armor and maybe a bit of Dodge if you're Feral, Enhance or any Rogue/Hunter spec.

Its so dps doing all die from stupid stuff because they have low HP... like PP heroic i play a tree so i stack up on green oozes, if we are a melee short there for some stupid reason guess who always dies even if i have barkskin up...me.

Even balance of HP is better, fact is tanks take like way less damage than say a offspec class with the same stam.

End result, tanking is no longer about stam, taking less damage is now your focus (armour, avoidance ect..>)

However sadly i am sure to meet lots of tanks that will just stack everything stam and be like "why can you keep me alive ?"
    Last edited by shags the penguin; 2010-09-27 at 10:59 AM.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by shags the penguin View Post
    Its so dps doing all die from stupid stuff because they have low HP... like PP heroic i play a tree so i stack up on green oozes, if we a melee short there for some stupid reason guess who always dies even if i have barkskin up...me
    No, it's so that there can be more damage all around. There are so many unique situations where various party and raid members will take ticking damage or sudden bursts of damage that have nothing to do with stupidity or lack of situational awareness. An overall greater health pool all around allows for more healing decision making and a more tactical approach to fights over all.
    For the Alliance!

Quote Originally Posted by Cirkeline View Post
    Maybe now you'll actually have to gem in other things like you used to, like... Dodge, parry?

edit: typo
    Ehh... Vengeance makes having even more base health better.

im prty they posted a long time ago that everyone will have around the same health and thesecondary states will be what makes the tank
    (Insert something witty about me being in beta)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaseladen View Post
    Sounds like someone got turned down for a date by a dragon aspect.
    Quote Originally Posted by Asatru View Post
    THIS THREAD IS NOW ABOUT ME AND MBSAAN'S NEW INTERNET FRIENDSHIP. -hijacked!-

Quote Originally Posted by Gaiwyn View Post
    No, it's so that there can be more damage all around. There are so many unique situations where various party and raid members will take ticking damage or sudden bursts of damage that have nothing to do with stupidity or lack of situational awareness. An overall greater health pool all around allows for more healing decision making and a more tactical approach to fights over all.
    not to mention it also allows the dev's more freedom to design new and cool mechanics into the game..

You may have been only playing, or tanking, since Wrath. Tank health is not nearly as important as most people would believe. Avoidance, and armour, and being unable to be crit (previously from defence, soon to be from talents) are what matters for survivability.
    I.e, if you are a clothie with 80,000 health and you get hit by a boss, you might survive 1 or 2 hits. If a plate dps class, maybe 3, 4, or 5. If you are a tank, it could go to 10 or more, especially since you would be avoiding most of those attacks.

In Wrath, it was all about stacking stamina for most people, the difficulty in tanking was getting better gear than other tanks, not using skill. Cataclysm will fix that so we concentrate on playing more, not just collecting epics.

---------- Post added 2010-09-27 at 12:12 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by shags the penguin View Post
    End result, tanking is no longer about stam, taking less damage is now your focus (armour, avoidance ect..>)

However sadly i am sure to meet lots of tanks that will just stack everything stam and be like "why can you keep me alive ?"
    This says it all really. I have been tanking since Vanilla and never stacked stam. A lot of people started tanking in Wrath because it was so easy, lets hope we don't get every other tank complaining about having to do more than mindlessly stack stamina in armour, gems etc.

Though, if this happens, I will find myself being more unique again, like I was in TBC, so either way is a win for me <3

I genuinely hope we see a return to looking at avoidance and mitigation and thinking 'what could this new gem slot best be used for' instead of the current 'oh, another +30 stam!'.

Armory Link
    Life's like a salmon swimming upstream - Hard work, and sometimes you get eaten by bears.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Cirkeline View Post
    I love the condescension in that post, like tanks were the only people who pretty much ever only stacked on one stat. Tbh, I think reforging is going to have a bigger impact than gemming, just looking the small number of sockets that the gear seems to have.

Also keep in mind our passives. both Paladins and warriors will have a 15% bonus to stamina. deathknights will have a 9% and druids in bear form already have a huge one. Plus we can get socket bonuses of plus stam while stacking things like avoidance or expertise ( i think expertise is a red gem right?). it's the first tier as well so if this turns out to be a bad idea by blizz they can always tweak the numbers by the next set. They did want to bring the health discrepancy closer between dps and tanks. Hopefully though this isn't too crappy for us in pvp.

I with blizz all the luck with this. Don't think it will work but we'll see.

10+ Year Old Account
    Dont forget to take other stuff into account, like tanks will be gemming and enchanting STA and have STA trinkets. This could account for another 10% HP difference.

Tanks will probably have around 25% more HP than DPS/healers.
    "It's not what we don't know that gets us into trouble; it's what we know for sure that just ain't so." ~ Mark Twain
    "The time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time" ~ Jesus of Nazareth
    "把它放在我的屁股,爸爸" ~ Dalai Lama

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by mbsaan View Post
    im prty they posted a long time ago that everyone will have around the same health and thesecondary states will be what makes the tank
    yeah, this is old news.

Still, if there are not that big disparities between tank and dps health pulls, non prot spec tanking in 5 men in endgame will become rediculously easy.

Quote Originally Posted by Chisa View Post
    So looking into the shiny epics mmo-champion posted today I wondered why tank plate has the same stamina value as leather or even cloth. Is it only our 15% more stamina that distinguishes us from the rest of healers and dps concerning healthpools? Anyone else finds that weird?
    Your forgetting Plate Specialization, +5% stam for prot warriors opposed to +5% strength for arms/fury
    http://cata.wowhead.com/spell=86526