Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Jessicka View Post
    We don't need a Flamestrike, we already had more AoE than they knew what to do with. And we got a knockback from the Succubus.
    The knockback from the Succubus is not much of a knockback. I'm guessing it moves them back 3 to 4 yards at best. It's pretty useless against melee> I was expecting it to be a counter to melee. Guess I was wrong.

It will work as an interupt, but casters are not our problem.
    Last edited by Repo123; 2010-09-27 at 09:15 PM.

I have to agree with the OP. Granted I'm not in beta. But on ptr the changes to our class are hardly exciting. Fel flame is lame, they should at least add an icelance mechanic to it, since they're so eager to copy mages: 'deals tripple damage when target is feared' - or something like that.

We're still bait for melee, aff still has a long ramp-up time, destro is still a mind-numbing incinerate spam and soulburn can hardly be called a worthwhile cooldown. I've personally never-ever played demo. I don't intend to either. Just an opinion, but locks don't buff, they dps.

We'll see what happens. Just don't count on any drastic changes. They won't come.
    Last edited by nocturnus; 2010-09-27 at 09:22 PM.
    success comes in the form of technical solutions to problems, not appeals to our emotional side

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Katanasteel View Post
    In b4 someone says Beta is Beta.
    Looking forward to "beta is beta" becoming the new "resilience will fix it". Probably with its own achievement and everything!

15+ Year Old Account
    I like the changes. Affliction now has a DD damage dealer that they can cast while moving, as well as quality of life improvements (Soul Link, DPS Cooldown, instant-pet summon). I'd love for the GCD on Soul Swap to be 1s.

Demonology is now all about Demons. Plural. As in, if your Felguard isn't doing enough damage you swap to another pet for the situation. I'd love for Succubus to do 20% more shadow damage again so that she is a viable single target solution for Demo.

Destruction needs more talents to fill it out, but the instant soul fires are amazing. Burning Embers is a great way to balance the spec to do decent damage in PVP while staying competitive in PVE. This is a huge improvement over WOTLK where Destro was specifically held back in PVE because of how much damage it did in PVP.

My problem is that on top of all the buttons I had, I now have 4 more I need to press on a semi-regular basis. It's getting unmanagable and we've surpassed hunters. The base affliction rotation takes 7 buttons (incl life tap) and on top of this you have Fel Flame, Soul Swap, Drain Life (you'll need it now and then due to healer throughput), Demon Soul, Soulburn macro'd abilities, Dark Intent (it only has a 5 minute duration thus some fights you need to recast it), and a Curse (since Bane takes the curse spot in your normal rotation). This doesn't include the requirement for Fear, Banish, pre-fight buffs (Soul link, Dark intent, fel armor), cooldown pets (Infernal/Doomguard), Summons, Healthstones, Soulstones, and the usage of all your normal stuff in combat (pots, stones, trinkets/engineering). Total number of buttons, not including macros or pots/trinkets = 23

It's unweildly but I don't think theres much to do about it.

R.I.P. YARG

Now things that are still messed up this far into beta:

Of the three new skills, 2 are subpar: dark intent and demon soul.

Dark Intent - Works better for affliction than demo. Demo dark intent works better than it does for destro. Mediocre at best for a new skill.

Demon Soul - Felhunter and felguard is pretty good. Succubus pretty useless for pve and pvp. Imp for pve is slightly below average and sucks for pvp. Void is pretty useless for pve and no use for pvp.

Also the felhunter nerf, imo will greatly affect a lock's presence in arena. With many other classes having a dispel available to them, it may be easier to replace the lock due to this change.

15+ Year Old Account
    Succubus is that way because it's designed to be your swap demon in Demonology. The goal is to use the Succubus or Felguard in PVE, single target vs multi target. Thus increasing your shadow damage (includes Lash of Pain!) is a dps increase, but not on par with Felguards... Should be 20% imo. We aren't there yet, but that seems to be the intended goal.

Destruction + Succubus Demon Soul PVP = Use soul burn more? I don't really know how they intend to fix this combo, but they seem to want you to use the imp more too.

Destruction + Imp Demon Soul PVE = Sucks because of the implications in PVP. Still a decent damage boost but about 2/3rds as good as Felhunter Affliction

R.I.P. YARG

10+ Year Old Account
    Succubus is also the swap for Affliction, for burn and add phases: Soul Swap, SB spam, profit. She doesn't have a note in Dark Arts yet, so there is room for some damage increase there.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Blastro View Post
    warlocks tend to open up overpowered in each expansion so maybe they'll be balanced, I don't want them to be nerfed though I mean the game's only fun for challenge but being killed while feared isn't fun. they may feel it is but for a paladin it's not
    you haent played at the start of wotlk where warlocks were THE weakest class [very start of wotlk]

Deleted
    They should re-design Soul Swap, it should be better at target switching but less useful at dotting up multiple targets. Make it apply/remove haunt and shadow embrace as well but get rid of the glyph.

Bloodsail Admiral
    10+ Year Old Account
    Disclaimer: I'm not on the PTR/Beta...

We're finally getting rid of that nasty soul shard bag, which is a nice perk.

Soulburn seems lackluster, but I'm guessing it wasn't supposed to be an amazing ability: just a small bonus from time to time.

Happy with the changes to minions/guardians, especially since I usually play Demo.

Overall happy with the changes/new spells.

My two concerns are: (a) can we keep up DPS-wise with other "pure" DPS classes (e.g., rogue, mage), and (b) are we viable in PvP - including 1v1 (e.g., world PvP/duels - looks like Arena/BGs we should be fine). Yes, I know Blizz doesn't balance around 1v1... but let's face it: you're out questing, you get jumped - it'd be nice to know your odds of getting that free trip to the graveyard are somewhat dependent on your skill/gear, not just your class.

15+ Year Old Account
    I like Soul Swap as is. The reason it doesn't do Shadow Embrace/Haunt is to prevent you from hitting your maximum possible PVE damage in PVP. That's fine.

I imagine it will work like this:
    Small mobs - just turn and Fel Flame them or set-and-forget a Corruption
    Large packs of small mobs - AOE
    Large mob - soul swap in prep for the mob, swap as soon as it spawns, charge up a shadow bolt to impact when the tank has it.

---------- Post added 2010-09-27 at 03:29 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by DocQuantum View Post
    My two concerns are: (a) can we keep up DPS-wise with other "pure" DPS classes (e.g., rogue, mage), and (b) are we viable in PvP - including 1v1 (e.g., world PvP/duels - looks like Arena/BGs we should be fine). Yes, I know Blizz doesn't balance around 1v1... but let's face it: you're out questing, you get jumped - it'd be nice to know your odds of getting that free trip to the graveyard are somewhat dependent on your skill/gear, not just your class.
    They have hooked in more pvp/pve balancing mechanics this time around - if we are lower, it's easier to buff us in one without affecting the other. 1v1 we will have more mitigation than plate, including magic damage. I think we'll be middle of the pack again, if not a tad higher.

R.I.P. YARG

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by gherkin View Post
    I like Soul Swap as is. The reason it doesn't do Shadow Embrace/Haunt is to prevent you from hitting your maximum possible PVE damage in PVP. That's fine.

I imagine it will work like this:
    Small mobs - just turn and Fel Flame them or set-and-forget a Corruption
    Large packs of small mobs - AOE
    Large mob - soul swap in prep for the mob, swap as soon as it spawns, charge up a shadow bolt to impact when the tank has it.

---------- Post added 2010-09-27 at 03:29 PM ----------

They have hooked in more pvp/pve balancing mechanics this time around - if we are lower, it's easier to buff us in one without affecting the other. 1v1 we will have more mitigation than plate, including magic damage. I think we'll be middle of the pack again, if not a tad higher.
    It would only allow you to switch from max dps from one target to another, not make it faster to get max dps. The current glyphed version is more op in pvp than what I suggested.

Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account
    I think there are some really nice changes to warlocks but there's one thing that really really bothers me and it's the soul shard revamp. I'm surprised only a couple people mentioned it, because for the amount of time that Blizzard has been talking about it and working on it, they've come up with a whole lot of nothing. The system has potential but it's most certainly not quite there, and nor have they done anything about the system that suggests they're working on making it more intresting.

Currently on the beta, it doesn't feel like its *part* of the class or even a resource. The instant pet is nice as hell, but that's almost all it's realistically useful for. (everything else is too situational) and the uses are so limited. I'd much rather have them passively regen over a long timer while in combat and actually feel like they're something I have to use to get the most out of my character.

Thanks Sokogeka<3

Deleted
    I am totally dissapointed because blizzard didn't spend some more time with the locks. Ok they changed the sharding system... Amen we were waiting 5 years for it! But really i believe when an expansion comes something new should be implemented. Like new spells etc. Now if you leave me with the same combo like immo conf chaos bolt... There is no point of having an expac up. Till now in beta ive played with my lock ive seen that we are good in pve and pvp, dealing huge amount of damage(one of our main problem is Aoe tho) but my point is not on "hey plz blizzard make us OP , or nerf". My point is "hey plz blizzard give us some new spells,rotations etc."

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lillah View Post
    I think there are some really nice changes to warlocks but there's one thing that really really bothers me and it's the soul shard revamp. I'm surprised only a couple people mentioned it, because for the amount of time that Blizzard has been talking about it and working on it, they've come up with a whole lot of nothing. The system has potential but it's most certainly not quite there, and nor have they done anything about the system that suggests they're working on making it more intresting.

Currently on the beta, it doesn't feel like its *part* of the class or even a resource. The instant pet is nice as hell, but that's almost all it's realistically useful for. (everything else is too situational) and the uses are so limited. I'd much rather have them passively regen over a long timer while in combat and actually feel like they're something I have to use to get the most out of my character.
    I agree, the Soul Shard system is basically one big disapointment. I hit the Soul Burn button, and literally 3 buttons on my action bar light up; Soul Fire, Teleport and Drain Life, and I only have the latter bound for soloing/absolute dire situations, it's what I switch out if I need another utility spell. For all the hype, they just seem to have forgotten about it; I just hope it isn't something left to build on next expansion like the Glyph system (the big Wrath disapointment). At this late stage though, I can't see that they have time to build on it. For the most part, for PvE at least, it'll be Insta-Soul Fires on movement, the occasional situational Teleport, and not a lot else.

Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account
    Lets cry about it ]':

Thanks Sokogeka<3

I'm disappointed in the entire expansion. Just feels like more of the same with no real effort to give us something really new. Three expansions and endless patches later and we only have one new class that's been turned into nothing more than a rogue/warrior hybrid. I could care less about another pointless profession, or new skins (races). Cata is going to be just more of the same grind with nothing really to get excited about.

Yes you guessed it, I'm done with WoW.

Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account
    It's great you've decided not to play and everything but I dont see how that's relevant to this thraed.. like at all... Especially considering you seem to play a death knight and added nothing to the conversation. [:

Thanks Sokogeka<3

15+ Year Old Account
    rotations seem pretty much the same all around with mabey a random proc or 1 new spell in. overall i am disappointed rotation wise. i really hoped that rotations were somewhat more challenging.

exception is maybe affic. the rotation was fun and i assume will still be so
    Last edited by hellar; 2010-09-28 at 02:40 AM.

pft, i long since stopped caring about how blizz handle locks. It's only proved to be a disappointment. I'll still play my lock as it was my first but mostly likely not a main.