Thread: Prime Glyphs

Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Prime Glyphs

Reading the Prime glyphs for hunters, it seems to me that there's a crapload of em that are pretty enticing, at least from a MM hunter's perspective (yea i know MM isn't doin too hot right now, but I'm hoping things will even out, and I'm refusing to leave MM)
    For reference's sake:
    Prime

* Aimed Shot - When you critically hit with Aimed Shot, you instantly gain 5 Focus.
    * Arcane Shot - Your Arcane Shot deals 6% more damage on targets afflicted by your Serpent Sting.
    * Chimera Shot - Reduces the cooldown of Chimera Shot by 1 sec.
    * Dazzled Prey - Your Steady Shot generates an additional 2 Focus on targets afflicted by a daze effect.
    * Explosive Shot - Increases the critical strike chance of Explosive Shot by 6%.
    * Kill Command - Reduces the Focus cost of your Kill Command by 3.
    * Kill Shot - If your Kill Shot fails to kill the target on a target at or below 25% health, your Kill Shot's cooldown is instantly reset. This effect has a 6 sec cooldown.
    * Rapid Fire - Increases the haste from Rapid Fire by an additional 10%.
    * Serpent Sting - Increases the duration of your Serpent Sting by 6 sec.
    * Steady Shot - Increases the damage dealt by Steady Shot by 10% when your target is afflicted with Serpent Sting.

What do u guys think are the 3 best glyphs from here that would benefit an MM hunter the most? And i guess for diversity, what 3 would be best for BM and SV?

I like Marks, at least on the PTR, don't know how it is at 85. As far as the glyphs...

Aimed Shot: Not using this much, especially beyond just being an opener. Marks is about the only spec that would use it with the Master Marksman procs but not really worth it for a glyph

Arcane Shot: Before the nerf to Arcane Shot I would have said yes, but now not so much

Chimera Shot: Just not necessary now or in Cata

Dazzled Prey: PvP only

Explosive Shot: Yes, for Surv obviously

Kill Command: Possibly for BM

Kill Shot: For raiding absolutely, get 2 Kill Shots in a row every 6 seconds, very nice especially since it costs no focus.

Rapid Fire: I'm liking Haste for Marks so this is a nice possibility but would have to test the numbers on it

Serpent Sting: For Marks absolutely since it affects Chimera Shot

Steady Shot: Again a yes for Marks, BM is supposed to be using Cobra Shot and Surv may end up using it also so you would have to test the numbers

For Marks I would go Kill Shot, Serpent Sting and Steady Shot for raiding, for lvling you could drop Kill Shot for Aimed Shot or Kill Command but you would probably lvl as BM anyways. For BM (for lvling) I would use Kill Command, Serpent Sting and Aimed Shot, BM (Raiding) drop Aimed Shot for Kill Shot
    Last edited by Organoth; 2010-09-28 at 04:56 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Organoth View Post
    Serpent Sting: For Marks absolutely since it affects Chimera Shot
    Actually Chimera Shot doesn't have the Chimera Shot-Serpent damage aspect to it so it the Serpent Sting glyph is worse than what it is today. Now I could see this being more of a BM and SV glyph since Cobra shot effects Serpent Sting under the affects of Diminishing Returns. Or at least it did. Can't test on the PTR because you can only be 80 and Cobra Shot is 81.
    Quote Originally Posted by Corpsereaver
    Barani you are the only Hunter for me. <3

10+ Year Old Account
    Serpent sting won't effect chimera damage anymore. Read class notes.

For Marks I would go Kill Shot, Serpent Sting and Steady Shot for raiding, for lvling you could drop Kill Shot for Aimed Shot or Kill Command but you would probably lvl as BM anyways. For BM (for lvling) I would use Kill Command, Serpent Sting and Aimed Shot, BM (Raiding) drop Aimed Shot for Kill Shot
    Aimed shot is MM only

OT: im goin with Arcane, KC, and KS (as BM)
    Last edited by Dizzy Wolf; 2010-09-28 at 05:07 AM.

Aimed Shot: Not using this much, especially beyond just being an opener. Marks is about the only spec that would use it with the Master Marksman procs but not really worth it for a glyph

Unless I am quite mistaken, Aimed Shot is the MM spec ability, so your BM build would be shooting blanks using a glyph for an ability it doesn't have access to.

Quote Originally Posted by Dizzy Wolf View Post
    Aimed shot is MM only

OT: im goin with Arcane, KC, and KS (as BM)
    I imagine there will be like a Glyph of Cobra Shot or something that will be good for BM.

By the way, Glyph of BW being Major instead of Prime = AMAZING

Quote Originally Posted by 3clipse View Post
    I imagine there will be like a Glyph of Cobra Shot or something that will be good for BM.

By the way, Glyph of BW being Major instead of Prime = AMAZING
    o yea i didnt think about Cobra shot. i hope cobra shot gets a glyph, that new animation it got is fuckin sick!

When I told one of my friends that you literally fired a cobra at the target, his jaw dropped in amazement.

Brain is fried, didn't think about Aimed being Marks only but yeah it is, and yeah, forgot about changes to Chimera too. After looking at the numbers, Glyph of Serpent Sting is actually a DPS loss. With the glyph Serpent Sting does 5517 damage over 21 seconds, which comes out to 262.7 damage per second, with out the glyph Serpent Sting does 4691 damage over 15 seconds, which comes out to 312.7 damage per second. Since you are always refreshing SS with Chimera shot before it's full duration it does more in that 10 seconds (the CD on Chimera) with out the glyph (3127 dps) then it does in 10 seconds with the glyph (2627 dps). Even if it's on a 3sec tick it's still more damage with out the glyph, just can't remember if it's on a 3sec tick or if it's doing damage every second.
    Last edited by Organoth; 2010-09-28 at 07:01 AM.

15+ Year Old Account
    Still waiting on the values to be 100% confirmed so I can go about trying to update some spreadsheets!
    http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/characte...losophy/simple
    Philosophy, Worgen Mage of Magtheridon EU.Mokari, Nelf Hunter of Magtheridon EU (AKA Shikari @ Achindoun). [Currently inactive]

yea, of course waiting on some further confirmation on these glyphs would be the smart thing to do, but I can't help but plan ahead.
    For now, I'm torn between Chimera Shot, Arcane Shot, Kill Shot, Rapid Fire, Serpent Sting, and Steady Shot. I'm finding it really hard to reduce this down to 3...they all seem pretty rape.
    I guess i'll just let the elitists figure out which ones give the best DPS and go from there lol (wtb warcrafthuntersunion =D)

Since you can 'have' them all, the question really becomes under what circumstances are you using which.

That said, it looks a little Marksman heavy to me:
    * Aimed Shot - Marksman only
    * Arcane Shot - Rotation dependent. Wait and see.
    * Chimera Shot - Marksman only
    * Dazzled Prey - Marksman only
    * Explosive Shot - Survival only
    * Kill Command - Probably mostly Beast Master
    * Kill Shot - All specs
    * Rapid Fire - Better for Marksman
    * Serpent Sting - Bad for Survival, mediocre for Beast Master, good for Marksman ?
    * Steady Shot - Probably mostly Marksman

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Marksmanship
    Aimed Shot
    Kill Shot
    Chimera Shot, Rapid Fire, Kill Command

Aimed Shot of course as it will most likely be widely used in MM. Kill shot I believe will be the one glyph ever spec has. It allows for 2 instant Kill Shots on a 6 second cooldown. The last one will come down to numbers. With Chimera Shot not dealing instant damage from serpent sting and not being on a strict rotation with Aimed Shot means you don't really need to reduce the cooldown. Reducing the focus cost of Kill Command is good and will might outweigh the haste bonus during Rapid Fire. With heavy focus shots like Aimed and Chimera, Rapid Fire might be a better choice.

Beast Master
    Arcane Shot
    Kill Shot
    Kill Command, Rapid Fire

Since Arcane Shot is BM's most used shot it needs to be there. Kill shot I believe will be the one glyph ever spec has. It allows for 2 instant Kill Shots on a 6 second cooldown. The last glyph will kind of be up to the numbers. Reducing the focus cost of Kill Command is good and will probably outweigh the haste bonus during Rapid Fire. I would probably choose Kill Command.

Survival
    Explosive Shot, Arcane Shot
    Kill Shot
    Kill Command, Rapid Fire, Serpent Sting

Explosive Shot and Arcane Shot will be up to the numbers in the end. SV has very high crit in the first place and you might not even need the Explosive Shot glyph, in which case Arcane Shot would be a better choice. Kill shot I believe will be the one glyph ever spec has. It allows for 2 instant Kill Shots on a 6 second cooldown. The last will come down to the numbers. The extra time added from Serpent Sting plus Cobra Shot might be worth it so you don't have to keep reapplying Serpent Sting, but if Cobra Shot can keep Serpent Sting up then it won't be worth it. So then it would come down to Kill Command and Rapid Fire. In SV I can see Kill Command not being used as much since Black Arrow and Explosive Shot take up a big chunk of focus therefore making Rapid Fire the obvious choice.

This is what I wrote on my blog, Land of Orcs - Glyphs

Quote Originally Posted by Hyolith View Post
    With Chimera Shot not dealing instant damage from serpent sting and not being on a strict rotation with Aimed Shot means you don't really need to reduce the cooldown.
    Even tho it doesnt do instant dmg anymore, wouldnt it still be more efficient to refresh the serpent sting with another chimera shot instead of shooting another serpent sting? Reducing CS's cooldown to 5 secs would allow that.

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by rockallnite View Post
    Even tho it doesnt do instant dmg anymore, wouldnt it still be more efficient to refresh the serpent sting with another chimera shot instead of shooting another serpent sting? Reducing CS's cooldown to 5 secs would allow that.
    Serpent Sting is applied for 15 seconds. Chimera Shot cooldown is 10 seconds. Glyph of Chimera Shot reduces the cooldown by 1 second. You can refresh Serpent Sting every time Chimera Shot is off cooldown without ever needing the glyph.

I don't know where you are getting reducing Chimera Shots cooldown to 5 seconds is coming from.

Quote Originally Posted by Hyolith View Post
    Serpent Sting is applied for 15 seconds. Chimera Shot cooldown is 10 seconds. Glyph of Chimera Shot reduces the cooldown by 1 second. You can refresh Serpent Sting every time Chimera Shot is off cooldown without ever needing the glyph.

I don't know where you are getting reducing Chimera Shots cooldown to 5 seconds is coming from.
    Sorry, for some reason the tooltip from hovering over the Chimera Shot talents says its cooldown is 6 secs, but then the written explanation next to it says 10 secs, so i got confused. And for some unknown reason I randomly thought Serpent Sting only lasts for 6 secs. I must be drunk, my fault lol
    Well, I guess that makes the CS glyph pretty useless.

Aimed shot will not be used like it is today, you're only wasting time to cast it as an opener and using it during Master Marksman procs. It's cast time is just too long to use it as part of a normal rotation outside of those procs. That and the fact that it loses so much damage when your target is below 80% health. It's still probably better then other Glyphs like Chimera shot as there is no reason to lower it's CD by just 1sec. Marks rotation right now is basically apply Serpent Sting, Chimera Shot, Arcane Shot and then 2-3 Steady Shots depending on your Haste.

I have my Steady Shot down to 1.3sec on the PTR which brings it to 0.98sec when using Rapid Fire which is all you want with a 1sec GCD. You don't want to go more then 3 Steady Shots at a time with out dumping Focus with Arcane Shot. I am working Kill Shot into my Marks Rotation when Master Marksman procs since the Aimed Shot is free. Will require more testing to see if using Kill Command as a focus dump at that point or just continue to use Arcane Shot.

Chimera is your hardest hitting ability as Marks right now (I know, aimed is that bad?), so the glyph still has potential, not a lot though. Pretty much all specs will use a combo of Arcane/Steady/Kill/<Primary attack>, serpent has use as sv/bm at 80 but at 81+ it's useless pretty much.

Currently Arcane is pretty much owning Explosive at dmg/focus ratio with explosive only being useful for L&L procs (this is at 80). It's probably slightly better than Chimera right now but I haven't been testing MM much because the mastery is disappointing. Kill Command is obviously more damage right now since the arcane nerf but who knows where that's going. I am still getting extremely mixed results with BM dps changing things around. I wish I had beta and not the fail lagfest that is ptr

They ruined the fun of Chimera by removing all of the poison effects, more specifically Serpent Sting. It takes all point out of serpent stinging in PVP and makes it boring in PVE. Baw.