View Poll Results: What do you think about keyboard turners?

Voters
123. This poll is closed
  • Keyboard turners are ETERNAL noobs!No matter how good they are they SUCK!

98 79.67%
  • Keyboard turners are great, the best style to play wow is by keyboard turning

25 20.33%
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    This poll needs a couple middle options.

I acknowledge that mouse-turning is better and that I am eternally a noob. I still prefer keyboard turning (about 75% of the time) for PvE, PvP, and RP. Luckily I'm a fairly casual player.

Just Your Average Lurking Huntard LOLPRIEST forum lurker now.

Field Marshal
    10+ Year Old Account
    This poll is retarded. It's either "OMG THEY'RE HORRIBLE" or "OMG THEY'RE THE GREATEST", when in reality, it's more of a middle ground thing. Yes, you get faster response times if you avoid keyboard turning, but it doesn't make them eternal noobs and it's not the worst thing ever. Many great players I know keyboard turn, and while it's not the most efficient way to do it, it's comfortable for them.

So, again, your poll sucks and should be shot.

You can say whatever you want, but mouse turning with keybindings will always be better than keyturning.
    Doesn't play WoW but continues to lurk MMO-Champion.

Middle ground thing.

Really it's just as pathetic an insult as someone making fun of your interface. It shows they really got nothing to insult you with.
    Quote Originally Posted by Respen
    I was very disappointed in the screenshots. I usually base my entire gaming experience around ground textures and so far it seems like Cata will be totally unplayable.

Deleted
    well.. if you said you played in 3 years i wont call you a noob anymore.. but.. you should really learn to move around with the mouse, in pve aswell as pvp.. you will find it way better and you will react way faster.. its just a fact thats its better..

15+ Year Old Account
    u may be able to keyboard turn in pve to a degree even though in the end its not efficent as mouse turning no matter what you say. And keyboard turning is just a complete no no in pvp, enjoy watching that rogue run around you faster than you can turn to hit him.

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    The only time I can accept keyboard turning/back peddling is if you are tanking....

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Galith View Post
    I stopped right there. Keyboard turning and clicking are just bad ways to do it, sorry. I don't care how "Good" you are at keyboard turning and clicking, you'd be WAY better with mouse turning and binding. There is a reason people go "LOLOLOLOLOL BACK PEDDLING/CLICKING/KEY TURNING" when they see videos with that stuff in it.
    - I play on an Apple Macbook
    - I have no mouse, only a keypad
    - I keyboard turn half of the time
    - I have no problems in PvE or PvP

What you say is bullshit. There are in fact GOOD keyboard turners, people that have a better reaction time as others, people that use 10 fingers on the keyboard.

But everyone has their own playstyle, i've seen terrible mouse turners, i've seen terrible keyboard turners, but it's not like keyboard turning and clicking is bad if you have a low reaction time and know wtf you're doing.

Awhile ago I made a point to make a long how to keybind post on my guilds forum. There was a "why keybind" second. Here it is.

I'll acknowledge that for people who aren't avid PvPer or aren't always on the cutting edge of content it isn't a giant deal. For the top 10%.. and even moreso the top 1%, it is. Granted, it can improve -everyones- game.

Why Keybind:
    The answer is two-fold when broken down to the most simplistic of reasons.
    First, moving your mouse to click spells takes longer than simply hitting a button on your keyboard when practiced. The average class has well over thirty plus abilities, not counting targeting/focus/castsequence/pets and other macro's or modifiers. This takes up a lot of room no matter how you configure your UI or how small you make your bars. You also lose the ability to pick certain targets out without the need to tab-target through all of them. This can mean missing a crucial interrupt by a short time, or losing pressure because you take longer on swapping.

Second is movement. Turning with your mouse is infinitely faster than turning with your keyboard. I say infinitely because it is only limited by the speed at when you can move your mouse and your reaction time. The simplest way to test this is to do the following. Go to any target dummy in any major town, stand so your back is toward it. Now, try any way you can to face this dummy. Keyboard turn to face it, reset your position, then use your mouse to face it. The mouse speed should win, provided you aren't over eighty-five. Another common mistake is to backpedal. Again, stand in front, back to the and try again. If this target was a player, keyboard turning and back-pedaling would not get you to face them.

This will improve your PvE game as well, imagine if you will, a boss fight such as Marrowgar. The best clickers in the world can use WASD to move while clicking their abilities. But when Marrowgar charges during bonestorm, their turning to face the boss and getting to him costs them time. Anytime you ever have to turn, it is faster to do so with your mouse.

What do I keybind?
    In short, everything. If under any reason you will ever use an ability or item it should be bound. Using your mouse to turn and target means that it isn't freed up for moving to click skills. This is a good thing. It will seem like you don't have near enough room on your keyboard to do this, but with the help of modifier keys (I'll go into detail in post 2), I promise you can. I play a feral druid as my main, I have all of my abilities (including balance spells and heals) bound comfortably within reach of my left hand on the keyboard. If I can do that, all other classes can to.

Edit: A note. People who say they do -fine- keyboard turning. For some people, fine isn't enough. Sure, you may do well, or even competitive. But using the argument that good players who keyboard turn beat bad ones who mouseturn and bind is silly.

Given equal skill, gear and class, and everything else aside from that, the one who mouse turns+binds would win. Sure, you may be fine, or even good, but you could be better, and you'll never have the ability to be "the best".
    Last edited by Calamorn; 2010-09-29 at 05:59 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Falconblade View Post
    - I play on an Apple Macbook
    - I have no mouse, only a keypad
    - I keyboard turn half of the time
    - I have no problems in PvE or PvP

What you say is bullshit. There are in fact GOOD keyboard turners, people that have a better reaction time as others, people that use 10 fingers on the keyboard.

But everyone has their own playstyle, i've seen terrible mouse turners, i've seen terrible keyboard turners, but it's not like keyboard turning and clicking is bad if you have a low reaction time and know wtf you're doing.
    He didn't say they (keyboard turners) were 'good' or 'bad' he just said you would be better if you used a mouse to turn. Also try turning 180 degrees with a keyboard it takes like a full second or two.

This is the way I personally look at it:

Mouse-Turning > Keyboard-Turning: Why? You can rotate 360 degrees with the mouse in milliseconds, it will take well over a second with a keyboard.
    Binds > Clicking: Why? You can press multiple buttons simultaneously, you can't click multiple buttons with a mouse.

Does this reflect on player skill if you use the better methods? Yes, part of being skillful is using the best tools available to you. No, it is not the single determining factor whether you are a good or bad player.

15+ Year Old Account
    19 people misclicked.
    Build a man a fire, keep him warm for a day. Set a man on fire, keep him warm for the rest of his life.

Quote Originally Posted by volescue View Post
    Or play however you want and don't let people tell you how to play.
    yep..some of us play for FUN..nothing else..being good at a video game takes very little skill..so i'll get my ego stroked in other ways

10+ Year Old Account
    even Swifty has admitted he can kill keyboard turners + clickers easier !

10+ Year Old Account
    play as you like and have fun ... if what other say hurts your feelings then is up to you to decide to change.
    that said ..i think turning whit the mouse gives you an advantage because you only use the wrist insted of using 2 ~3 fingers but thats my personal experience, if you feel better and play better turning whit the keyboard then keep at it.

i didnt vote because neither option fits my point of view.

Deleted
    Il give you this : while keyboard turning it takes about 0.3-5 secs to turn around at 180 degree.If you do it with a mouse is about 0.1-0.05 secs. Same if you need to click lets say a trinket + ability in the same time ( like me DP + talisman ) you will have a hard time clicking them than binding 2 keys and pressing them both in the same time.. again the downtime is 0.x secs but that time could be the diference between dead and alive.So what im saying is :

Even if human can eat god dam raw meat we prefer to cook it cuz its easyer and safer to eat .Its the same with turning , even if we can do it with a keyboard we prefer to do it with a mouse cuz its much easyer.
    And when you say : No no no no i made a habit and i cant chance it , its quite stupid cuz every habit can be chanced and if its a bad habit and you dont want to chance it you are quite..ehh let me think of a word.. re " DONT BRING THE BAN HAMMER UPON YOU!

Oky let me make that sound better : If you dont take an good advice you are a bad player , turning with a mouse is a good advice and you refuse to hear it so therefor you are a bad player.

TL;DR- Even if a keyboard turner can be better than mouse turner he would be even better if he started mouse turning. And the player wich dose not want to improve is a bad player overall , no matter how good he masters the game.
    Last edited by mmoc3c59a3d181; 2010-09-29 at 06:09 AM.

Deleted
    [QUOTE=Hasufein;8958006]Mouse turning > keyboard turning.
    But dude... your WoW history sounds remarkably like mine - Playing on a powerbook G4, until it burned out while playing wow leaving my level 40 something warrior stranded in STV killing naga for kelp.
    QUOTE]

wtf man!! are you serious?
    my powerbook got burned when I was trying to loot arena grand master, in gurubashi arena, which is exactly near those nagas!
    I'm gonna pm you to find out some extra stuff and mb we can sue DEVILLZARD!

10+ Year Old Account
    keyboard turning is a no no in my book.

Deleted
    I keyboard turn because that's about the only thing (apart from hotkeys like Achievement Menu, Character Screen etc) that I use the keyboard for, oh, that and tab for switching targets. I have a Razer Naga which means that apart from out of combat stuff (HS Deathgate etc) all of my abilities are hotkeyed to my mouse in two 12 button grids, one normal and one ALT+button. Turning with my mouse while using all of my abilities is a bit hectic. Sometimes I'll use my mouse to move but not while attacking the boss. I can't honestly remember a fight where mouse turning has been a particular advantage, I've never been hit by Blistering Cold or any of the "Run away little girl" mechanics in a very long time, not since I was learning the fights.

Sure I get called a noob, I don't mind because when these people die to the likes of Blistering cold and Frost Bomb on Sindragosa HC while I'm still alive I just think to myself. "If I can survive using the keyboard, which is much slower, what's your excuse?"
    Last edited by mmoc9f29e6783f; 2010-09-29 at 06:14 AM.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Xuany View Post
    Actually saying Bind > Click and Mouse > Keyboard isn't so true, it's the player behind that mouse and keyboard. I know a player who clicks and has 0 key binds he's one of the best players I've ever seen.
    This is a logical fallacy.
    Fact: keybinds are superior to clicking because of physical reasons.
    Now imagine that superb clicker player being 50% better with keybinds.