Many Ret bug fixes just hit the PTR

Art of War and Hand of Light no longer cancel each other.

The phantom 4th Holy power is in and definitely keeps you from wasting DP procs. It does not however save you if you hit CS accidentally or due to badness when you already have 3 HoPo. (I tested this buy getting 3 Holy Power, then using a move that procs Divine Purpose, and then using Templar's Verdict: after a few tries I ended up with 2 HoPo right after hitting TV, one from DP from the 'wastet' special move while I was at 3 HoPo already and one from DP from the TV itself.)

Also Hand of Light seems to proc a bit more, maybe this is due to the Art of War cancel bug being fixed, but it really seemed to be proccing more in general (I don't have time to test this sorry)

Now lets hope they still tweak the damage a bit, and fix PvP :P
    Last edited by Thumos; 2010-09-29 at 05:59 AM.

Good news.. expected fixes but good.

It's a shame bug fixes have nothing to do with poor class design mechanics though.

Quote Originally Posted by Thumos View Post
    Art of War and Hand of Light no longer cancel each other.

The phantom 4th Holy power is in and definitely keeps you from wasting DP procs. It does not however save you if you hit CS accidentally or due to badness when you already have 3 HoPo. (I tested this buy getting 3 Holy Power, then using a move that procs Divine Purpose, and then using Templar's Verdict: after a few tries I ended up with 2 HoPo right after hitting TV, one from DP from the 'wastet' special move while I was at 3 HoPo already and one from DP from the TV itself.)

Also Hand of Light seems to proc a bit more, maybe this is due to the Art of War cancel bug being fixed, but it really seemed to be proccing more in general (I don't have time to test this sorry)

Now lets hope they still tweak the damage a bit, and fix PvP :P
    I was testing the 4th HP and it looks like it cannot be proc'd by using CS, only DP generators.

So if you do CS (1) > filler (2) > filler (3) > CS (4) > TV you aren't going to get 2 HP after TV even if TV procs, you will at most get 1 from the TV...it won't store the CS HP.

so it looks like only divine purpose generators can give the 4th HP

when i log on to the ptr i still get dc'd my group wiped on the Aq pre-cata event boss and i released to the gy and when i log on it keeps dcing me i opend a tickt and submitted a bug report over 1 week ago asking them to move me but nothing
    <!Gamon spends more time of his knees and back than haris pilton!>
    ;0

There is no GM support on the PTR.

Quote Originally Posted by stonecolde View Post
    when i log on to the ptr i still get dc'd my group wiped on the Aq pre-cata event boss and i released to the gy and when i log on it keeps dcing me i opend a tickt and submitted a bug report over 1 week ago asking them to move me but nothing
    Many people started getting this bug a few days ago. While deleting your cache works for some people, for me the only thing that worked was a full re-install. It actually only takes about an hour to uninstall the PTR and getting up and running again.

---------- Post added 2010-09-29 at 05:59 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Simplistic View Post
    I was testing the 4th HP and it looks like it cannot be proc'd by using CS, only DP generators.

So if you do CS (1) > filler (2) > filler (3) > CS (4) > TV you aren't going to get 2 HP after TV even if TV procs, you will at most get 1 from the TV...it won't store the CS HP.

so it looks like only divine purpose generators can give the 4th HP
    Yup, that's what my test showed too. I'm not quite sure how the 4th HoPo behaves when Zealotry is up, doesn't seem to help much there.
    Last edited by Thumos; 2010-09-29 at 06:26 PM.

With the new mastery, how is managing all the different procs and CDs we have?

We have Hand of Light, exorcism, Divine Purpose, and Inquisition correct?

In my opinion, this will be difficult because of the mix of proc based and duration based management. But what do u on beta/ptr think?

Quote Originally Posted by Hydramaster View Post
    With the new mastery, how is managing all the different procs and CDs we have?

We have Hand of Light, exorcism, Divine Purpose, and Inquisition correct?

In my opinion, this will be difficult because of the mix of proc based and duration based management. But what do u on beta/ptr think?
    Well I'm only on the PTR so I don't have Inquisition yet. Currently at level 80 on the PTR I'm having a great time with the Ret rotation. Honestly, I think inquisition will be boring, tedious, and an unnecessary addition to the feel of Ret. I REALLY hope they make it last much longer; about 1 minute sounds good (the current 30 seconds sounds terrible). Inquisition just seems like a way of limiting our burst, which is no longer necessary with the gigantic Cata health pools.

10+ Year Old Account
    There's something in the water... Florida
    Quote Originally Posted by Thumos View Post
    Well I'm only on the PTR so I don't have Inquisition yet. Currently at level 80 on the PTR I'm having a great time with the Ret rotation. Honestly, I think inquisition will be boring, tedious, and an unnecessary addition to the feel of Ret. I REALLY hope they make it last much longer; about 1 minute sounds good (the current 30 seconds sounds terrible). Inquisition just seems like a way of limiting our burst, which is no longer necessary with the gigantic Cata health pools.
    our burst is mostly physical then comes exorcism+aow, the rest of holy dmg is crap
    Last edited by Vizardlorde; 2010-09-29 at 10:37 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    True our damage is still mostly physical & needs to be tuned so we have more holy damage.

Perhaps they could change Templar's verdict so that it does a % of its damage as holy damage increased by the amount of holy power charges consumed.

They also need to work on our survivability vs ranged classes, as is we can barely even reach any mage, warlock, shadow priest, boomkin, hunter or elemental shaman who knows anything about kiting. A major reason for this is because of our extreme weakness to offensive dispel effects & the fact that our speed boost is so short in duration.

They could easily change this by having judgments heal us for a set % of the damage they deal, or by making hand of freedom immune to dispel effects when used on self have long arm of the law rolled onto it when cast on self.
    The way balancing for WOW PVP works is allot like American politics.
    1: Be lazy & ignore problems till the yelling is so loud your cant concentrate.
    2: Refuse to do the things you have Said need to be done, then make up reasons why they cannot be done.
    3: Lay the blame for problems on someone else even when it's your fault because you did all of the above.

When the actual lvl 85 raiding and arena season is about to start off in cata, I'm pretty confident that blizzard will have added quite a lot or changed stuff accordingly regarding ret. Since there is still so much to be done.

Quote Originally Posted by JayJay09 View Post
    When the actual lvl 85 raiding and arena season is about to start off in cata, I'm pretty confident that blizzard will have added quite a lot or changed stuff accordingly regarding ret. Since there is still so much to be done.
    I agree. That have stated numerous times that they are focused mainly on PVP only from level 85 and they could be holding off on 'fixing' pvp balance until very close to the expansion being released or maybe even after.. It seems to me their main focus is dungeon and raid balancing atm..

Dont expect fast fixing... Blizzard is fast in nerfing but slow on buffing/fixing classes. Im pretty sure that ret palas will be for majority of player unatractive to play pvp for first 6 months of Cataclysm, at end of first rated season of cataclysm blizzard will try to revaluate state of classes and try to make majority changes.
    At first 6 months, mages, druids, priests, warlocks and hunters will be smart choice for Bgs and arenas.

Quote Originally Posted by Maneken View Post
    Dont expect fast fixing... Blizzard is fast in nerfing but slow on buffing/fixing classes. Im pretty sure that ret palas will be for majority of player unatractive to play pvp for first 6 months of Cataclysm, at end of first rated season of cataclysm blizzard will try to revaluate state of classes and try to make majority changes.
    At first 6 months, mages, druids, priests, warlocks and hunters will be smart choice for Bgs and arenas.
    I'm pretty sure Ret PvP will get seriously looked at at least one more time before Beta ends. Not to mention dps numbers are not finalized.

i find it best to panic first, then ask questions later.

Do any of you guys know if they have fixed the bug from the Glyph of Exorcism? Damage only calculated as if every AoW proc and crit was a normal non-AoW hit?

Quote Originally Posted by Jiraya View Post
    Do any of you guys know if they have fixed the bug from the Glyph of Exorcism? Damage only calculated as if every AoW proc and crit was a normal non-AoW hit?
    Do you know if this has been reported? I haven't heard anything about it.

Yeah there is a thread that is probably on the 2nd or 3rd page and I can confirm that with testing that I've done on the PTR. Like I said on the previous post, the glyph calculates 20% of a normal non-Art of War proc exorcism hit even if you crit or even if you proc Art of War(with its 100% increased damage) it will still calculate the dot as if a normal exo hit.

Eg(actual ptr numbers):
    1.Normal exo non-proc = 2200, 147 damage ticks
    2.AoW proc Crit exo = 6982, 148 damage ticks