Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Anyway to remove distance fog?

Hey guys/girls

I was wondering if there's a way to remove the distance fog without bumping the slider. My PC is struggling to keep 60fps in 80% of the Northrend areas and it's starting to get on my nerves. I do have a decent PC and these low fps-es are annoying.

One of the low fps culprits was the view distance, so i placed the slider about 70% and now most of the places I have 60fps except that there's that annoying distance fog that makes everything harder to see.

Hope it's clear what I'm asking and not sure if this is right place to ask this question...

Thanks either way.

I don't think there is any way of getting rid of it. Reducing the view distance, will make the fog come out, and that's it.
    But you really don't need any more then ~60 yards of viewdistance.

No way to get rid of it. View Fog is just the way that Blizz blends out to empty view, without it it would just go from view to empty. If you were to disable the empty view somehow, you would render the entire continent at once. That would... not be a good thing :P

That fog is a side-effect of the view distance, where that is how it gets round the lower detail the further something is.
    Try lowering a few other settings, like shadows particularly and anything else you can get away with such as textures and blending.

Or disable Projected Textures (out of my head), that usually helps ur FPS.

Though some of the aoe effects, particularly the persistent ones on the ground are drawn by that effect, so disabling them will often result in them being difficult to see, if you even can at all.

Hm, ok thanks for the input on this guys :/ Guess I'll have to try stop OCD-ing on the fog.

And I'd rather keep the Projected Textures, if not, I can't see my Consecration.

10+ Year Old Account
    yea, its up too you, low frame rate or no distance problems

"What are we, if not slaves to this torment..." Sylvannas Windrunner, Former Ranger General of Quel'thalas.

15+ Year Old Account
    yea, it seems as though you're trying to make a contradictory point. you want high fps, so you turn down the view distance (which in essence just brings the fog in closer) but you want the fog gone so that it's easier to see far away, which would reduce your fps back to what it originally was...

maybe i'm confused, but that's the way i read it
    "I'm glad you play better than you read/post on forums." -Ninety
    BF3 Profile | Steam Profile | Assemble a Computer in 9.75 Steps! | Video Rendering Done Right

Quote Originally Posted by llDemonll View Post
    yea, it seems as though you're trying to make a contradictory point. you want high fps, so you turn down the view distance (which in essence just brings the fog in closer) but you want the fog gone so that it's easier to see far away, which would reduce your fps back to what it originally was...

thats how i read it too
    http://www.orphanguild.com/ - SWTOR Guild US West Coast PvP

Quote Originally Posted by llDemonll View Post

You forget that when you reduce view distance, it also reduces the distance at which stuff gets generated.

15+ Year Old Account
    Yes, I'm well aware of that. You are trying to achieve two things that you can't have.

The point of the distance fog is to reduce the distance that you can see, hence why the fog comes closer as the slider is lowered. In order to "get rid" of the fog, your view distance must be set at the maximum allowable value, which for you would lower your FPS down to what it originally was. If you want the fog to go away, turn the view distance back up. If you want the FPS to be a constant 60fps, then live with the fact that the fog will "confine" you more than it would with the slider at the maximum.

Maybe one of us is not explaining out point well enough, but the way I (and I believe others based on comments) understand it is this:

Your View Slider at Maximum: (=========0)
    "Fog" at Maximum: You ------View Distance----->-Fog->|End of View

Your View Slider at 70%: (======0===)
    "Fog" at 70%: You ---View Distance-->-Fog->|End of View

The "Fog" never changes size, it is a pre-defined "fade" of the world into nothing-ness. Changing the View Distance slider will bring the fog closer to you because the View Distance rendering is reduced (see "Fog" at 70% compared to "Fog" at Maximum).

You could (probably) make the "fog" disappear, but this would cause an abrupt (and horrendously ugly) end to the rendered world, making it seem like you were flying in a bubble (which you are anyways) and anything outside the bubble would not fade out, but rather end very, very abruptly.

edit: Maybe you should re-phrase your question to be cleared, it is terribly hard to understand in the first place.
    "I'm glad you play better than you read/post on forums." -Ninety
    BF3 Profile | Steam Profile | Assemble a Computer in 9.75 Steps! | Video Rendering Done Right

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by wickedbastard View Post
    Or disable Projected Textures (out of my head), that usually helps ur FPS.
    I'm assuming you like standing in fire?

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by iSmack View Post
    I was wondering if there's a way to remove the distance fog without bumping the slider. My PC is struggling to keep 60fps in 80% of the Northrend areas and it's starting to get on my nerves. I do have a decent PC and these low fps-es are annoying.
    well then you're really gunna hate cata. Each expansion released means updated computer requirements. In TBC my laptop could run everything at full, right now Im at 50% with a custom setting, in cata I expect to run everything on low. But thats technology for ya.

Deleted
    If your PC has trouble running at smooth frame rates, you could try to reduce other settings. E.g. Ground cluttering (grass, small rocks, shrubberies), can take away quite a few frames per second as well, especially when high quality shadows are enabled. You can live without it, so either reduce the number of objects drawn or the draw distance of it.

Shadow quality is another candidate. The lowest setting is basically the same as the old shadow system and is quite fast. The only things you will not see at this setting are animated shadows of windmills and dragons flying over your head. High quality shadows are awesome, but you can live without them.

Enable LOD too, it will reduce the number of polygons for objects drawn at distance, so your PC does not have to work so hard.

Reducing texture quality does not help much frame-rate-wise, except in cities like Dalaran where there are a lot of different objects (players), all with different textures. Then the frame rate might drop because your PC/Videocard tries to swap textures in and out of memory. Only if your videocard does not have a lot of video memory should you consider lowering that setting. If you have low FPS at medium viewing distances however, like you wrote in your post, I would try setting it to "medium" instead of "high" to reduce the memory footprint.

I have 2 macro's that I use to easily flip between hi-quality and lo-quality settings. I will post them later tonight when I am back home.
    Last edited by mmoc8792ffc9cb; 2010-09-29 at 04:25 PM.

You don't need 60 FPS for the game to be enjoyable, as the human eye can cope with anything from 16-24 FPS and show it as fluid motion.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Persistence_of_vision

I assume your OCD is getting the better of you.

Deleted
    Low Quality Macro:

/console groundEffectDensity 16
    /console groundEffectDist 1
    /console characterAmbient 1
    /console smallcull 1
    /console skycloudlod 1
    /console detailDoodadAlpha 1
    /console extShadowQuality 0

High Quality Macro:

/console groundEffectDensity 256
    /console groundEffectDist 140
    /console detailDoodadAlpha 100
    /console characterAmbient 0
    /console smallcull 1
    /console skycloudlod 1
    /console extShadowQuality 5
    You could try to change the numbers until you're satisfied. I took these macro's from a post on the official forums (Google for warcraft+macro+quality), but made modifications that also change shadow quality.

---------- Post added 2010-09-29 at 04:32 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Kaleid View Post
    You don't need 60 FPS for the game to be enjoyable, as the human eye can cope with anything from 16-24 FPS and show it as fluid motion.
    True for motion pictures with motion blur, false for computer games without motion blur. Trust me, anything lower than 30 FPS hurts.
    Last edited by mmoc8792ffc9cb; 2010-09-29 at 06:35 PM.

@llDemonll: Ya sorry, English is not my primary language, sorry for the confusing question.

And thanks guys, I'm just gonna play around with the settings to get a good quality/performance ratio.

Just to add, here are my pc specs (CPU/Memory/GPU), tell me if it's normal that my pc is struggling to get a constant 60fps in NR.

Phenom II X4 920 OC'ed @ 3.0GHz
    Kingston ValueRAM 4GB DDR2 1066
    ATi Sapphire HD4870 512MB GDDR5 OC'ed to 750Mhz/900Mhz

WoW is very dependent on a good graphics card and a good dualcore processor. I bet upgrading your graphics card to the 5700-series would give you a huge improvement, but just so you know, very few extreme computers out there can run wow on a full 60fps I remember reading a post on the WoW forums where a person had a Quadcore 3.5ghz Processor, SLIed graphics card, 8gigs of DDR3 and a SSD harddrive, and he still couldn't run the game at full with 60fps everywhere.

Quote Originally Posted by Krytharn View Post
    True for motion pictures with motion blur, false for computer games without motion blur. Trust me, anything lower than 30 FPS hurts.
    20 fps is max I can see. Believe me, I can live with that :|