Warlock v. Ele Shaman

Hey everyone,
    Just want to get some opinions as I am having a bit of a hard time deciding which toon will be my main come Cata.

I love the changes being made to Ele Shamans with Earth shock being in the mix but am not sure it's enough to make it not-monotonous. I played my Shammy as my main from Naxx all the way to ICC but got bored of the same old rotations and the "gimped" feeling dps-wise.

I'm fairly certain that I would go Destro with my lock (you can tell I like the playstyle) but am not sure how locks are going to fare in terms of fun and mechanics.

Any opinions are welcomed.....and yes I know that I should play what is most fun....but I love them both....hence the dilemma.

Any word on the "fun-factor" from Destro locks atm?

Deleted
    i got both, lock > sham

Quote Originally Posted by Offline View Post
    Hey everyone,
    Just want to get some opinions as I am having a bit of a hard time deciding which toon will be my main come Cata.

I love the changes being made to Ele Shamans with Earth shock being in the mix but am not sure it's enough to make it not-monotonous. I played my Shammy as my main from Naxx all the way to ICC but got bored of the same old rotations and the "gimped" feeling dps-wise.

I'm fairly certain that I would go Destro with my lock (you can tell I like the playstyle) but am not sure how locks are going to fare in terms of fun and mechanics.

Any opinions are welcomed.....and yes I know that I should play what is most fun....but I love them both....hence the dilemma.

Any word on the "fun-factor" from Destro locks atm?
    i have exactly the same question as you right now, i have been playing my shaman all through wrath and i also have a level 80 warlock alt. at the moment i am leaning more towards the warlock as talents and the general class skills look to be better while elemental shamans are getting a few new mechanics that seem OK for PvE but look easily countered in PvP. i am probably going to be rolling my warlock.
    <start epic wow theme>
    A world of limitless adventure. We cast the lords of shadow and flame back into the abyss.
    <more epic wow theme>
    We held the line against the rising tide of death itself.
    <epic music peaks>
    We have endured the breaking of the world.Now we face the Destroyer and we will end him.
    <cue Bennny Hill music>Pandas! Pokemon!

Destro is pretty straight forward, outside of Empowered Imp procs for instant Soul Fires. So I suppose it's kind of blahzay like Ele is now.
    But in Ele they're adding in the RNG of Lava Surge (means more Lava Bursts!).

At the end of the day it's your choice really. If you're not in a mega rush to get to 85 lvl both of them at the same time. Or just lvl the shaman then lvl the lock, I have a feeling there will be some changes to locks after launch.

I can't tell you what to play. You'll just have to wait for Cata to find out which you like most. Personally, I intend to keep my Resto Sham and my Warlock equally geared so I can swap between the two seamlessly.

Picking a main is hard!! QQ

10+ Year Old Account
    The choice is yours dude, we can't decide for you.

Do you want to play solely as ranged DPS? If so, go Lock, they have 3 DPS trees to choose from.
    Do you want to not have to hassle with lame totem dropping all the time? Go Lock.
    Do you want to play a pet class? Go Lock.
    Do you want to have much lower queues in LFD? If so, go Shaman so you can queue as Resto making it almost instant. Locks are stuck at 10-20m queues if they don't have any tank/healer friends.
    Do you want the ability to heal as well, making you pretty valuable to a raid? Go Shaman.
    Do you want the freedom to be either ranged DPS or melee DPS? Go Shaman.
    "It's not what we don't know that gets us into trouble; it's what we know for sure that just ain't so." ~ Mark Twain
    "The time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time" ~ Jesus of Nazareth
    "把它放在我的屁股,爸爸" ~ Dalai Lama

ele sham is too boring in my book. Go with the lock. I have both btw.
    Quote Originally Posted by Boubouille View Post
    (Oh god I'm such a troll)

Well if you're really just narrowing it down to Elemental, then warlock is the better choice. You have 3 caster spec. Elemental Shaman is a spec. You basically could not compare it. Unless you're a guy who tends to also like melee and healing, then shaman is the right choice.

15+ Year Old Account
    pvp shaman >lock
    pve Lock>shaman

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by hellar View Post
    pvp shaman >lock
    pve Lock>shaman
    lol no :> they are about even in pvp

Warchief
    10+ Year Old Account
    Ele shaman, imo.
    I like mine just fine both now in Wrath and on the beta. My lock, meanwhile, may never see past 61.

Deleted
    i got both, lock > shaman, especially in pvp, lock is much harder to play (pvp) but more fun at the same time (controlling pet etc.)

I play both, Warlock is better. More complex. Better with PvP, more tools up their sleeve. Shamans just die.

As i play Beta with a 85 Ele Sham i can tell you some things:

Ele Shaman is damn funny because:
    LavaSurge Procs are quite nice, with less lag than 800ms you can really use it well.
    Unleash Weapons makes your Crits even higher each 15sec.
    Earth Shock Crit for insane amounts of DMG with 9 LS Orbs => With Crappy 322 Gear lvl i use to do bout 35-40k Crits.

Aaaand last but not least: BOOOM LAVABURST PROC ELE OVERLOAD!!1