Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst
    10+ Year Old Account
    A cornfield by a raceway with a tornado flying through (Indiana)
    Quote Originally Posted by Direshadow View Post
    Really, I'm not going to argue. Most game "Journalists" agree that Asian game developers are falling down on the job. And most of the things you mentioned, Mario, Fire Emblem, I've avoided mainly because THEY'RE THE SAME DAMNED GAME SERIES.

That is all.
    You aren't arguing because apparently you have no argument, or at least not one good enough to present. You're trying to tell me Fire Emblem is samey when a whopping two games have every made it over here on consoles, and two more (and a remake) on portables, for a whopping 5 games ever across 4 different game systems, and somehow that's the same game. Or Super Mario Galaxy, which is apparently the best game released this entire generation, if going by metacritic scores (you know, those western journalists you seem to care about). Nintendo also deserves a little leeway with sequels considering they have made far more original series than any other game developer, and several of them combined.

I don't always like what Nintendo does, but I would never be dumb enough to say they were butchering the industry. Infact, Nintendo hardware may have single handley kept the video game market from going into decline the last 3-4 years, considering how many sales records they broke those 36 or so months while the 360 and PS3 started real slow and stayed that way until their redesigns and pricedrops years later. A 30% console failure rate, or a $599 dollar console might be a bit more of a grey area with regards to butchering, but I digress.

Quote Originally Posted by Viertel View Post
    ^^

It's not even just the journalists/webbies, but the marketing trend is reflecting this.
    ...no, it isn't. The DS is, by far, the most popular game system in the world, and has also sold the most video game software, by far. The runner up is the Wii in both hardware and software numbers, with the 360 a distant third (but really good software sales). PS3 is fourth (I think, not sure on PSP numbers) but could possibly be third someday.

http://vgsales.wikia.com/wiki/Video_Game_Sales_Wiki

Those numbers are backed up by the NPD and data collection of other countries.

Kinda silly to say the market is in decline when the most popular system in the world is completely dominated by Japanese-based games. It doesn't matter where it's played. Where are you getting your numbers?

Maybe Western devs will be more willing to work with the 3DS and become relevant in the portable space.

Enough though. I'm not derailing the thread any further.
    Last edited by Kenai; 2010-10-10 at 02:49 AM.

Can't say I didn't see this coming. I'm awaiting TERA to have similar reviews, followed by SWOR. Although in SWOR's defense I think they'll become a competitive force in the MMO market. TERA and FF14 are just going to die.

And, yes, I'm an FF fanboy. I still have my original final fantasy cartridges and still buy portables just to keep current on rehashed retros. This might make you all sick but I liked FF8 the most out of the series, followed closely by 6 then 4.

.......do you really expect anyone to take you seriously when you post a wikia link? Whatever argument you have, in any field, is destroyed when you attempt to link a wikia as hard data. You don't use user submitted data when trying to support your argument.

Quote Originally Posted by xxAkirhaxx View Post
    Can't say I didn't see this coming. I'm awaiting TERA to have similar reviews, followed by SWOR. Although in SWOR's defense I think they'll become a competitive force in the MMO market. TERA and FF14 are just going to die.

And, yes, I'm an FF fanboy. I still have my original final fantasy cartridges and still buy portables just to keep current on rehashed retros. This might make you all sick but I liked FF8 the most out of the series, followed closely by 6 then 4.
    I dunno about Tera or SWOR. I frankly have no interest in SWOR as I really couldn't care less about Star Wars. It's a personal opinion, so the MMO just doesn't appeal to me at all.

Tera though, I don't see as doing too badly. For one, they've already got decent amount of content and it seems to be a leveled system somewhat akin to WoW's. Plus, they've apparently hired an actual decent crew of people to work on the translation/ported copy over to the western countries. I'll probably give it a whirl, simply because the combat looks really interesting to me and if they pull it off it'll be a nice time waster at least.
    Last edited by Viertel; 2010-10-10 at 02:30 PM.

Japan sure knows how to release the same games since 1980 for several decades, and still have people maliciously defending it. Hell, they even make Blizzard blush.

Quote Originally Posted by xxAkirhaxx View Post

teras combat system is completly diff the physics are a hell of a lot better and the graphics are a wee bit better also as long as its not anti social like ffxiv or other such games it should be one of the best mmos in upcoming years ya gota remain optamistic lol soz for fail spelling

15+ Year Old Account
    Why does tera have the same races and classes as ff14. I bit odd i say.

Quote Originally Posted by Direshadow View Post
    Really, I'm not going to argue. Most game "Journalists" agree that Asian game developers are falling down on the job. And most of the things you mentioned, Mario, Fire Emblem, I've avoided mainly because THEY'RE THE SAME DAMNED GAME SERIES.

I'm soooo tired of getting squeals and spin offs. A squeal here and there is okay, but god damn. Nintendo... christ...
    I doubt much will change as long as they make good profit. Square Enix made $102.7 million profit in 2009 that is almost as much as Activision Blizzard ($113m).

I whish the larger gaming companies where more innovative. Final Fantasy has been going on for 23 years now and warcraft for almost 17 years as well. They didn't do much to these games else then using the new possibilities of hardware improvements, it is still the same formula. I can understand this from smaller and new companies, since the costs of making a game are huge these days. You can't just make a game in the garage with some friends anymore. Whould love to see one of the larger companies try something surprising with a MMORPG.

I actualy like Nintendo for what they did with the Wii. At least they are trying to be original at something.

Quote Originally Posted by Cheshi View Post
    I doubt much will change as long as they make good profit. Square Enix made $102.7 million profit in 2009 that is almost as much as Activision Blizzard ($113m).
    /facepalm