Page 1 of 2
LastLast

clownsuits while leveling? did they change the 1-68 gear at all in cata?

in WOTLK there was something like 4 or 3 "visual sets" non tier armor for each type of armor, one were very overused, one that was uncommon and others that most people wouldn't know it existed , like the models used in the gear you get from DK quests that shared visuals with like 2 items (and actually i'm not even sure that all armor types had rarer armor visuals like those)

and while they were repetitive... when put side to side with vanila and TBC gear...
    the amount of detail in those gear is just incomparable, even if is just a "style" thing wotlk gear have high res textures which vanilla and tbc doesn't

but now with changes in quests, mobs, and etc comes the question, what happened with the gear in the post cataclysm world?

keep all the gear the same? at last fixed the clownsuit issue? gave everything high res textures? replaced everything?
    anyone whos leveling in beta can give some light on that?

edit: ops typo in the title

10+ Year Old Account
    Hooty Hoo!
    "Sometimes you have to ignore the rules. Sometimes circumstances are such that the rules pervert justice. I'm not in this business to protect the rules. I serve justice."
    — Batman

From what I'm seeing of beta vids, very nearly all of the gear in old world quests is getting revised and replaced with something you'd actually want. As far as the textures for everything, not sure if it's all getting re-used a million times or if there are several different styles.

I personally was really fond of the skittles leveling experience in BC (didn't play in vanilla) because it felt really good to start filling out a tier or pvp set and see "Hey, this is looking good."

10+ Year Old Account
    Not in beta.. so have nooo idea... but i would say no, i mean that im sure is one of the last things on blizzards mine ( at least i hope ) they already have to change the stats finding new gear pieces and adding them might be a hassle but who knows...

Quote Originally Posted by khh View Post
    in WOTLK there was something like 4 or 3 "visual sets" non tier armor for each type of armor, one were very overused, one that was uncommon and others that most people wouldn't know it existed , like the models used in the gear you get from DK quests that shared visuals with like 2 items (and actually i'm not even sure that all armor types had rarer armor visuals like those)

and while they were repetitive... when put side to side with vanila and TBC gear...
    the amount of detail in those gear is just incomparable, even if is just a "style" thing wotlk gear have high res textures which vanilla and tbc doesn't

but now with changes in quests, mobs, and etc comes the question, what happened with the gear in the post cataclysm world?

keep all the gear the same? at last fixed the clownsuit issue? gave everything high res textures? replaced everything?
    anyone whos leveling in beta can give some light on that?

edit: ops typo in the title
    Being in beta I can say there is no more clown outfit from 1-60. Each zone has a matching set for each armor type. Outland still has goofy suits though.

Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account
    im not beta but to clarify ... is your issue the quality of the resolution of the way the gear looks? or is your issue the fact that you will end up questing through your experience in unmatched "clown suit" gear

Regardless or whether or not the old gear gets updated, there is a simple solution to this:

Heirlooms

Honestly, you shouldn't even consider leveling up without heirlooms to begin with unless you have something like the 300% xp increase from Refer a Friend.

We have the heads/shoulders that both grant 10% xp (each) through 80 at the moment.
    In Cataclysm, we have the head/cape that provide 10%(each) through 85.
    There's also the ring we have at the moment, which is only obtainable through the fishing daily.

That's a whopping 40-45% (with or without the ring) increased xp through level 80, with 20% increased xp through 85. Not only that, but all the heirloom sets "match".

Quote Originally Posted by Clethius View Post
    im not beta but to clarify ... is your issue the quality of the resolution of the way the gear looks? or is your issue the fact that you will end up questing through your experience in unmatched "clown suit" gear
    i like my characters to look good, not that much to ask considering how long we stare at them and how much we pay for this game

but my real curiosity is just that there was a change in methodology in how we would get gear while leveling from vanila to WOTLK

vanila quest gear was a "last resort" thing, to be well geared you actually had get gear from droped from mobs and put on AH or doing instances, while in WOTLK quest gear was more than enough

the problem is that when you buy gear from AH you can match it as you see fit and if looks like a clown well its your fault, but when you get from quests you are stuck with it(like in start of TBC >_<) :P

Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account
    i like my characters to look good, not that much to ask considering how long we stare at them and how much we pay for this game

but my real curiosity is just that there was a change in methodology in how we would get gear while leveling from vanila to WOTLK

vanila quest gear was a "last resort" thing, to be well geared you actually had get gear from droped from mobs and put on AH or doing instances, while in WOTLK quest gear was more than enough

the problem is that when you buy gear from AH you can match it as you see fit and if looks like a clown well its your fault, but when you get from quests you are stuck with it(like in start of TBC >_<) :P

i agree that its annoying to look at a character thats mismatched but i dont plan on using that gear for very long if its only questing gear... by the time you start raiding you should start putting together a good looking set ... or as the other poster said you could always use mostly heirloom gear which would make sure your character was Ged up from the feet up

10+ Year Old Account
    There are themed "sets" of gear for each level zones. So yes you will match if you do all the quests.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tayfow View Post
    I personally was really fond of the skittles leveling experience
    LOL, I love that... skittles .... and I agree. I like watching it all come together, and I don't see why
    a sub top level toon should look "good" as it were.

Quote Originally Posted by Holyz View Post
    Being in beta I can say there is no more clown outfit from 1-60. Each zone has a matching set for each armor type. Outland still has goofy suits though.
    This man speaks truth. You will no longer be mismatched and each zone or set of quest chains will give you matching pre-BC set quest rewards. Not only that, but there is a few completely new sets that you get along the way.

sure you shouldn't look like a titan warlord master of pain and death at level 1.

any robe rags is fine, and level 1 characters should be in rags!
    but why each part of that robe needs to look like came from a different year of Brazil's carnaval?

i just think for every level 80 that you level on your account, you get a passive 20% bonus XP on ur alt.
    i have 8 80's i wanna level the other 2 classes, but i jus cant b bothered with the grind, all the heirloom gear isnt enough for how boring it is grinding most of the same quests for a 9th and 10th time

i personally dont care what the gear looks like when i am leveling up, so long that the blues towards the top of the level cap, dungeon blues etc hav a similar theme, greens n random blues u get at level 1-75 dont bother me as u replace them so quick anyway.

How it's done in Warhammer Online:
    Each class has it's unique style, and from every quest you get gear for your class(with choices for different roles), that matches this style(if you do this quest with other character, you'll get gear for the other class).
    It doesn't matter, if you're lvl 5, or lvl 40, you still can be identified by looks as a member of your class, while in WoW you can't tell warrior from paladin from DK in leveling gear. Damn, even in ICC off-sets they can look like a member of other class.

This is the system I like, but of course blizz is too lazy to implement this.
    Last edited by Against the Modern World; 2010-09-30 at 12:53 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by jaelrin View Post
    How it's done in Warhammer Online:
    It doesn't matter, if you're lvl 5, or lvl 40, you still can be identified by looks as a member of your class, while in WoW you can't tell warrior from paladin from DK in leveling gear. Damn, even in ICC off-sets they can look like a member of other class.

This is the system I like, but of course blizz is too lazy to implement this.
    Blizzard slacked BIGtime on teir gear and offset gear in wrath, i loved bein able to walk around orgrimmar or shattrath, and see people and be able to know what they were from a long way away, and what teir they were in n progress just by seeing them. Not using some crap addon

i hope cata brings back uniqueness to gear, so you can tell a Dk from a paladin from a warrior, or u can tell clothies apart.

Just about the only thing I liked about Hellgate London was the "Remove Clownsuit" button. (No, it wasn't called that.) Basically, you would select an item, press the button, and the game would adjust the color scheme of the rest of your gear to the selected item's. I believe WoW could benefit from something similar, but if Blizzard has solved this problem - which they seem to have - it's not necessary.

You ask for more? Then come, traveler, to the Whispering Deep, where only the mad walk.
    Raid Idea: The Whispering Deep and Ny'alotha

Quote Originally Posted by Ihnasir View Post
    Umbra - you are a god.

if we were to compare games, wow would be waaaay behind in terms of gear or even in characters themselves, i mean l2, aion, warhammer, even some free to play are better in that aspect, and those are only mmos :P lets not even dream of a single player game vs wow

but the playable characters really look dated even by wow standards i mean just compare the amount of detail of those frozen giants of sons of hodir and the playable character >_<

and considering that some models always had broken or just strange animations and they haven't added new animations to playable races since since start of wow shows its not a priority in any means :P

still, thats not why i play wow, and i'm glad that at least we don't have to deal with clownsuits :P

10+ Year Old Account
    why each part of that robe needs to look like came from a different year of Brazil's carnaval?
    lol seriously.

---------- Post added 2010-09-29 at 09:48 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Umbra View Post
    Just about the only thing I liked about Hellgate London
    how dare you invoke the vile name of that ghastly game in this sacred cloister.

доверять надежде означает знать отчаяние

Quote Originally Posted by DEEPKVTS View Post
    how dare you invoke the vile name of that ghastly game in this sacred cloister.
    I drowned myself in holy water and had one of my paladin friends resurrect me. Mentioning The Item has now brought me back to average.

You ask for more? Then come, traveler, to the Whispering Deep, where only the mad walk.
    Raid Idea: The Whispering Deep and Ny'alotha

Quote Originally Posted by Ihnasir View Post
    Umbra - you are a god.