Poll: Like pr dislike

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

Earth spike spell

Ok this is probably one of the most ridiculous ideas I've ever had or will ever post about on here. Earlier I brought up *in another post* being on the balcony in IF on the PTR a while ago and what finally got me out was someone who found a spot to attack from that got rid of the LOS, and it got me to thinking that on top of that we have problems with constantly being silenced by mages and such and being blasted without a reliable silence of our own. Wouldn't it be a cool idea if we had a spell where we brought up an earth spike that we could LOS behind?

Sorry for the word vomit I'm extremely tired and wasn't quite sure how to word this.

Herald of the Titans Baabinator's Avatar
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by darknessxpersists View Post
    Ok this is probably one of the most ridiculous ideas I've ever had or will ever post about on here. Earlier I brought up *in another post* being on the balcony in IF on the PTR a while ago and what finally got me out was someone who found a spot to attack from that got rid of the LOS, and it got me to thinking that on top of that we have problems with constantly being silenced by mages and such and being blasted without a reliable silence of our own. Wouldn't it be a cool idea if we had a spell where we brought up an earth spike that we could LOS behind?

Sorry for the word vomit I'm extremely tired and wasn't quite sure how to word this.
    I know what you mean, but you could elaborate it a bit.

Basically it's a spike coming out a ground somewhere (targetable, like Flamestrike?) and that spike causes LoS for opponents only?
    Scars show you the remnants and failures of the past.

~¡¡¡!!!AND FOR THE LOVE OF GOD, STOP ASKING ABOUT MY AVATAR, I DON'T KNOW!!!¡¡¡~

I like it, it's different from what you see normally, essentially creating your own pillar to hump

Sounds interesting though if the LoS were for opponents only it would probobly be a bit OP

15+ Year Old Account
    i had this suggestion once, around BC, but it was a totem pole. this was back when shaman had like no survivability in PVP, thought it would be unique, fun and useful for shamans to have, but they gave us a knockback, among other mechanics, instead.

something like this would have to be a straight LoS on both players for it to be balanced, though. i don't think Blizzard would ever do this, though, seeing as how they put LoS objects in the game. really, we could just get Astral Shift, becoming immune to damage, but unable to cast spells or attack, then run away and go LoS anyway, it's the same thing as a moving iceblock, except you couldn't avoid incoming damage, only prevent it.

10+ Year Old Account
    This would be great, imagine using it in PvE as well, using it on fights like Sindragosa or Sapphiron.

Quote Originally Posted by Baabinator View Post
    I know what you mean, but you could elaborate it a bit.

Basically it's a spike coming out a ground somewhere (targetable, like Flamestrike?) and that spike causes LoS for opponents only?
    Exactly

---------- Post added 2010-09-30 at 05:54 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Svengis View Post
    Sounds interesting though if the LoS were for opponents only it would probobly be a bit OP
    No of course not it would have to be LOS period so people would use it with a little bit of intelligence. say make a mound of earth erupt from the ground for 5 MAYBE 10 seconds *with talent* with a 30 second cooldown so that people wouldn't make a wall of stone.

---------- Post added 2010-09-30 at 05:56 PM ----------

I was thinking because I was dueling a friend who is a mage and absolutely freaking LOVES to lock me down with silence, and I thought it would be cool since I can't use wind shear while silenced *I can drop grounding* but that one spell prevented, that it would be nice to be able to bring up a barrier that isn't susceptible to silence.

10+ Year Old Account
    TBH i LOVE that idea

Like, but only if it works 2 ways: both LoS for the caster and the enemy.
    People who think they can reason with me are clearly unreasonable.

Practicin' drawing and writing too, might even post a story or two. (no rhyme intended)

Note to beer-fans: Beer's for pussies, mead's for men.

Quote Originally Posted by Arshan View Post
    Like, but only if it works 2 ways: both LoS for the caster and the enemy.
    Yeah I said that already :P

10+ Year Old Account
    I like it, since it could help surviving, but i'd rather have something versus melee than ranged. One idea springs to mind:
    Earthquake isnt channeled but has a fixed duration of, say 6-10 seconds. (Think Flamestrike.)
    You thunderstorm a threatening melee into it, they have a chance to fall down, you save time and yourself.
    Would be cool imo, and you need to train to perfect it, with enviromental issues and such, let alone timing the throwing distance.

Another idea with the LOS would be if the un-channeled Earthquake would leave a brief dust/debri cloud that breaks line of sight.

RONG WHIT DOG!

Quote Originally Posted by Supertramp View Post
    I like it, since it could help surviving, but i'd rather have something versus melee than ranged. One idea springs to mind:
    Earthquake isnt channeled but has a fixed duration of, say 6-10 seconds. (Think Flamestrike.)
    You thunderstorm a threatening melee into it, they have a chance to fall down, you save time and yourself.
    Would be cool imo, and you need to train to perfect it, with enviromental issues and such, let alone timing the throwing distance.

Another idea with the LOS would be if the un-channeled Earthquake would leave a brief dust/debri cloud that breaks line of sight.
    I never have any issues with melee except DK's because I just thunderstorm them and frost shock but with DK's I can never get away

Dayumm... good idea, but I thought this when I saw the name.

A spell like spikes moving at the enemy target and then knocking it up in the air. Same projectile speed as Lacerate and a bit same looking animation but spikes.

Quote Originally Posted by darknessxpersists View Post

How about a frost spell that did something useful instead of being locked out of the same school they always kill us on. They can eat the FS+LvB and as long as they lock us out of nature, they win. No heals, viable shocks, interrupts, LB's/CL's or Hex.

Didnt mean to rain on your parade. I just find it annoying that a class that has use of all the elements basically ignores one. Disliked just because its yet another nature spell.
    Last edited by Ciege2; 2010-10-01 at 09:43 PM.

I thought of this general idea, creating your own LoS, a while ago but knew it would probably be really OP and I think I was playing a mage back then, so it would be REALLY OP, lol. I love the general idea though, regardless of how it is implemented or who gets it.

Deleted
    I dislike this idea greatly. Mostly because of the effect it has on the PvE scene specifically.

There are many fights and spells out there that use LoS as a mechanic to avoid damage, having a shaman with a portable pillar just wouldnt be practical. First of all it would FORCE raid leaders to get a shaman to use their earth pillar, somethig blizzard wants to avoid like the plague, its terrible when 1 out of all the classes are brought for one thing, it would be like bloodlust all over again. You always needed a bloodlust, regardless of if the shaman in question was the best healer or best dps

For PVP it would just get worse, LoS is way too powerful to be able to create at any point in time.

Deleted
    give it a decent cooldown, and make the spike have hp so it can be destroyed. Very good idea

15+ Year Old Account
    Besides the fact this doesnt cater to all 3 specs, it really depends if you can walk through it or not.

If you can't people could use it to grief others by trapping them, or by causing bosses to evade bug and other possible options.

If you can... Well...

Either way its pretty overpowered to be able to throw up a pillar in any situation, even if it has a lengthy cooldown.
    Dreadmaul US Horde - "Dragonsworn of the Bronze Flight"