Page 1 of 3
LastLast
    15+ Year Old Account

Should Blizzard delay Cataclysm raiding?

At this point, it's pretty safe to say that Cataclysm will be released in December.

In the past, expansion releases have largely been a race to max level in order to start raiding and PvP. Leveling was seen largely as a way to get an advantage over your opponents. But with the holidays so close to the expected release date, I'm personally hoping that Blizzard will delay Cataclysm raiding.

I wrote a longer thing on my blog, but it basically all boils down to setting a level playing field. Rather than making raiding a leveling contest, it becomes more about your raiding ability. Individual players can level at their own pace and enjoy the content. It would also give people time to level alts through the Cataclsym-torn continent.

What do you guys think?

What's the point? If the expansion is released in December, the dungeons will still be there after the holidays.

regardless of whether raids get delayed or not, it will still be a race to first 85. Besides, 3 expansions later and they haven't done it to begin with.

Quote Originally Posted by Blacksen View Post
    At this point, it's pretty safe to say that Cataclysm will be released in December.

In the past, expansion releases have largely been a race to max level in order to start raiding and PvP. Leveling was seen largely as a way to get an advantage over your opponents. But with the holidays so close to the expected release date, I'm personally hoping that Blizzard will delay Cataclysm raiding.

I wrote a longer thing on my blog, but it basically all boils down to setting a level playing field. Rather than making raiding a leveling contest, it becomes more about your raiding ability. Individual players can level at their own pace and enjoy the content. It would also give people time to level alts through the Cataclsym-torn continent.

What do you guys think?
    Since when was Raiding a leveling contest? Honestly, nobody cares about world firsts except for those who get them and for most people, raiding is part of a guild or first come first serve for PUG's, so it doesn't really matter if you are "first to level".

On top of that, does it really matter? No. Do you think being level 80 mattered a month or two after WotLK was released? Of course not.

The whole "get to level cap first" thing really matters not in the long run.

I was the second level 80 DK on Icecrown, started the first guild on Icecrown and probably had the first Elite mount but none of it matters, at all.

10+ Year Old Account
    If you are that concerned about realm first 85 or whatever, you are probably one of those people who will ignore real life until the task is accomplished.

I will be taking my sweet time leveling my main and alts at the same time, because I could care less what no-lifer dings 85 first on my server.

What is the first 85 gonna raid...... on his own?
    I'm trying to think of something on this planet that makes less sense and I just can't find ANYTHING.

I usually go visit family for 2 weeks around Christmas. Which means I'll miss out on valuable gear-up/raiding time an also means I'll be left out of the formation of 10 man raids.

Then I remembered that I don't really care, and most of my guild is bad enough that they'll still be wiping on the 1st boss when I get back.

10+ Year Old Account
    not everyone goes away on holidays some people are very bored when not at work/school for 2 weeks...

People wont be raiding any time soon after reaching 85.
    Some will surely try but like the way Blizzard doing it with heroics it wont be nothing close to easy without some proper gear from Heroics/Professions/Factions

10+ Year Old Account
    Let people level up and do heroics etc as soon as cata goes live, shouldnt have to feel pressure to do stuff over Christmas and new years. Just open up raid instances early January, 3rd or 5th or something.

Deleted
    Have to agree with the others here, as GM myself, my only concern is getting a good, close knit team up and raiding to experience the fun and challenges it offers. We have no race to 85, and those who are currently getting their profs in shape (or stockpiling) are doing so with the idea of benefiting the raid.

Sure there will be a bit of epeen for the person who dings 85 first inguild, but as with the 80 cap, the first things those people did was help others get there. That's what it should be about. Stopping raids until everyone is 'ready' won't really change that.

I dont understand this at all. It's a game, you play it for fun. A lot of people want to play over the holidays and have a chance at raiding if they are geared. I am sorry if you feel you will get left behind because you take two weeks off for RL, try going on deployment for 7 months. Just play the game and when you are ready to raid, raid, let others play the game the way they want.

10+ Year Old Account
    Some people just do not want to see their families. My family is nutz and I would rather be playing WoW than deal with all of the BS associated with the holidays.

I know that I rush my first toon to cap because I really do not care about anything below the level cap. I will see it all again soon enough. I would rather get a jump on the gearing process and perhaps start an alt if need be to wait for friends to hit 85.

Quote Originally Posted by Mithan View Post
    I was the second level 80 DK on Icecrown
    And to think, Defox doesn't even play anymore.

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    It would be interesting if Blizzard were to delay raiding until say January 4th, or the 11th. That would give a solid month of leveling, rep grinding, and gearing up. The problem is is for the top 1%, by day 3 or 4 they are already ready to jump into the raids, and you still have to cater to them. They are the pop stars of this game.

Blizzard could already be doing it though, if they keep the harder Heroics tuned at, or a bit higher then they are now, and tune up the weaker ones, it could very well be at least half a month before even the top 1% has 10/25 other players geared well enough to take on the raid encounters. It all depends on how severe Blizzard keeps the iLvL increases and if they tune properly.
    Quote Originally Posted by Pandush View Post
    head cut off? just a setback!

I think December is a terrible release window.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'll be starting from level 1 so I don't think I have to worry about raids until January

Quote Originally Posted by Blacksen View Post

What do you guys think?

I've always thought this would be a good idea. In a way though, they already do this. Them staggering raid tiers over time isn't just a way for them to not have to release the entire expansion at once, it's also a way to ensure that players dont rush directly up to max tier within a couple months of the expansion release.

Imagine WotLK if they had released ALL the content at once. Naturally, the first major change is that it would have taken at least an extra year to release, but let's put that aside for a moment. How quickly after release would people have cleared through all of Tier 9? I'd say a month or two at the most. ICC would have been cleared VERY quickly by the top tier of raiders while the common player would still be hitting 80 and working on heroics.

10+ Year Old Account
    thnx for the poll... oh wait

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zadiell View Post
    I think December is a terrible release window.
    How so? It comes up just as a lot of younger people have disposable income due to holiday gifts, and a lot of people are on vacation from school/college. It also waits until the gaming rush of October/November is over, so people who were on the fence about Cata now have more reason to pick it up.