Holy/Ret Share Loot?

Let me just start this by saying I do not have a paladin/warrior/ or DK.

It has always bothered me that Holy paladins are the only class that uses plate spell power gear. Not that I'm jealous that holy paladins are special with their own unique gear, but I hate to see loot drop off a boss that no one can use, and when spell power plate drops and there are no holy pallies it goes to offspec or DE. With the changes in cataclysm in which ele/resto shaman share gear, as well as balance/resto druids, and to some extent healing/shadow priests. I find it strange that ret paladins/dps warriors/dps DKs are all fighting over the same armor gear, while almost every other class only has one other class (or spec) to compete with: Feral/Rogue, Hunter/Enhance, Warlock/Mage.

Why can't Blizzard come up with a change to paladins to allow them to use the same gear for ret as they do for holy. It seems like it would be easy to do.

The biggest problem would be ret having a huge mana pool and being able to be really good at healing, so they would have to make changes to offset this. They would have to increase the base mana cost of heals, with talents/bonuses deep in the holy tree to reduce the mana cost significantly, or reduce the base amount spells heal and add a talent to holy that greatly improves int/spell power scaling of their heals.

They would then have to do some kind of Int to Str conversion for Ret like sheath of light does for ap to spell power.

They could then give ret the same spirit to hit conversion that ele,moonkin, and shadow are getting, and with reforging ret paladins would be able to reforge the spirit into whatever suited them best.

Then plate gear with int on it would be used by two specs, and warriors and DKs would be the only classes rolling on str gear. Weapons would be the only exception obviously, unless they let Ret paladins use staffs :P

Thoughts?
    Last edited by Popesickle; 2010-10-01 at 04:56 PM.

Yes. Let's force Holy Pallies to spend Tallent Points on just getting the ability to heal. Fuck giving them cool stuff. They can just use their Tallents becoming Healers.
    <WHAR LEWTS PLZ HALp>
    I'm bitter by default. Don't take it personally.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stir View Post
    Either give an argument, or be automatically wrong. Your choice.

The Lightbringer eternalwhitemoon's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    No. Just no.

Because it's only useful for one class/spec, healing plate has a much lower drop rate. This is how it stays balanced.

You're asking them to completely rebalance Ret to use Holy gear, which is a) technically challenging, as all the coefficients have to be changed, and b) just plain silly.

God knows Rets have enough to be concerned about as it is. Gimping both Ret and Holy (remember we only have 41 talent points now!) because you don't like seeing plate healing gear drop is ridiculous.

Shard it. More mats for leveling enchanting!

rather how about this the next hero class uses it too and has a healing spec and a spell casting spec that converts spirit into hit.
    but having them use the same gear isn't a good since it sets a dangerous precedent for other dps/healer combos.

Quote Originally Posted by Firecrest View Post
    Yes. Let's force Holy Pallies to spend Tallent Points on just getting the ability to heal. Fuck giving them cool stuff. They can just use their Tallents becoming Healers.
    You could always put that into the passive package that you get when choosing the spec. Still, I don't want it, Rets are melee dps, let them use str gear.

15+ Year Old Account
    this has been thought over already and was found bad.

1. What firecrest said.
    2. then melee would have another spec needing their type of gear.
    3. it really is too much of a problem execution 'your' idea. thats ment in a practical way, coding it.

nice try, but its a no go yo.

and idea thread is ->