Thread: The Grimtotem

The Grimtotem

I have a lore related question pertaining to Cataclysm so I'm guessing this is the correct forum to ask it in.

I've been leveling a Worgen on beta and have been sticking to the Night Elf leveling zones because that seems the most fitting for a Worgen since they owe a great deal to the Elves for saving them.

The route I chose so far has been Gilneas -> Darkshore -> Ashenvale -> Stonetalon Mts. -> Desolace -> Feralas -> Thousand Needles.

All of the quests between the zones flowed so nicely and the breadcrumb quest givers seemed to give notice of your achievements in the past zones. It felt like everything was going along smoothly until I hit some kind of snag in Feralas. Basically, the Grimtotem Tauren were assaulting one of the Night Elf encampments that was positioned on the very eastern border of Feralas, right along the coast of Thousand Needles. (Because Thousand Needles is now flooded in Cata.) I've made it my goal to read every last bit of quest so that I can fill up on all of the lore now and level at a slow pace, then power to 85 when it goes live. Nowhere in the quest texts did it tell us why the Grimtotem were attacking. The night elves didn't even recognize their betrayal. They just put me on a boat and sent me off to Thousand Needles.

So my question are for those who have played through this questline. Do you guys know why the Grimtotem were attacking if we had just allied with them in Stonetalon Mountains? Everything up to this point in the game has been progressing in chronological order, especially with all the phasing.

If I had to guess, the Grimtotem alliance in Stonetalon Mountains was simply a local truce. Everywhere else the Grimtotem and the Alliance are still enemies. Sort of how the Dark Portal is still guarded by a join Alliance/Horde force despite there being total war between the factions.
    Roleplaying, hardcore Raiding, running LFR on the occasional weekend, PvPing, rolling alts, achievement hunting, pet battling, or just enacting an endless series of whims, I don't care how you play WoW. Just as long as you have fun doing it.

I have no idea, but if I had to guess it would be either because the Grimtotem are naturally giant douches, or because Magatha (The Grimtotem matriarch) is now involved with the Twilights Hammer (this is confirmed for cata as far as I'm aware)

It's exactly as Falrinn stated. The grimtotems are not allied with the alliance. They decided to work together to fight back the horde. Once the fight is over, then the agreement to work together is over. The basic piece of information you have to remember when it comes to the Grimtotem: They hate everyone else. That is why they killed Cairne and that is why they constantly attack the alliance.

That is also why the Night Elves don't really act surprised.

It would be great if lore wise for the Grimtotem to be neutral to the Alliance or become quest givers.

Quote Originally Posted by Togarox View Post
    It's exactly as Falrinn stated. The grimtotems are not allied with the alliance. They decided to work together to fight back the horde. Once the fight is over, then the agreement to work together is over. The basic piece of information you have to remember when it comes to the Grimtotem: They hate everyone else. That is why they killed Cairne and that is why they constantly attack the alliance.

That is also why the Night Elves don't really act surprised.
    Didn't Garrosh kill Cairne in a duel?
    People who think they can reason with me are clearly unreasonable.

Practicin' drawing and writing too, might even post a story or two. (no rhyme intended)

Note to beer-fans: Beer's for pussies, mead's for men.

Quote Originally Posted by Arshan View Post
    Garrosh only injures him in the duel. Cairne dies because Magatha Grimtotem had been poisoning him for some time previous to the fight.

Quote Originally Posted by Arshan View Post
    The Grimtotem had been poisoning Cairne for some time so when Cairne and Garrosh dueled he died in his weakened poisoned state. Garrosh finds out about this and he and Baine Bloodhoof kill or drive out every Grimtotem in Thunderbluff.

Quote Originally Posted by luccadeo View Post
    It would be great if lore wise for the Grimtotem to be neutral to the Alliance or become quest givers.
    That would actually be horrible lore wise. It would change everything the Grimtotem stand for. The Grimtotem are extremists to hate all other races. They think of the alliance as scum. The only quest they would hand out would be a quest to jump off a cliff.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Explosion_Rex View Post
    The Grimtotem had been poisoning Cairne for some time so when Cairne and Garrosh dueled he died in his weakened poisoned state. Garrosh finds out about this and he and Baine Bloodhoof kill or drive out every Grimtotem in Thunderbluff.
    Is this in Cataclysm (aka like a starting quest in the new world changes or something?) or is it presumed that this will happen as part of the world event?

Merely curious!
    Global Moderator | Forum Guidelines

Quote Originally Posted by dcemuser View Post
    Is this in Cataclysm (aka like a starting quest in the new world changes or something?) or is it presumed that this will happen as part of the world event?

Merely curious!
    No idea. I would think it would be pre-Cata world event, but thats really just a guess on my part. I guess it all depends on when exactly Thrall leaves.

Quote Originally Posted by Togarox View Post
    The only quest they would hand out would be a quest to jump off a cliff.
    I can totally see mages and priests accepting this quest just to return and claim the reward while laughing their asses off..