Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Question Beta copy a level 1 with 100k gold

Hey all,

My younger brother was just flagged for beta access (lucky sod!) and I wondered if the following might raise any red flags with Blizzard, or whether it would be fine to do.

We play on different realms, but preparing for Cataclysm I've managed to save up nearly 100k gold in my personal guild bank. If he creates a level 1 on my realm, withdraws all the gold and then copies that level 1 to the beta, finally giving me all my gold back, will it likely be flagged as suspicious? It's a lot of money to pull out of a guild bank and transfer between accounts I know, but it's not like it's being stolen. I'm assuming the beta copy doesn't have limitations on moving money as it's all just temporary anyway.

Figured I'd ask here before I asked a GM, just in case someone knew.

Cheers!

10+ Year Old Account
    Shireshireshireton, shireville, the shire
    Ask a GM, they'll handle it.
    Quote Originally Posted by perix View Post
    there are people that think war is like cod.
    That covers just about every twelve year old in America.

No, i dont see why blizzard would have a problem with this. They dont check gold/items being traded unless someone reports it.
    Stulti se laudant.
    Minecraft Survival Server: 203.206.166.219:25565
    http://www.youtube.com/user/fpiceail

Thats alot of gold.
    Guild Wars 2 Was A Lie

15+ Year Old Account
    i'd be really surprised if they care about gold on the beta.

If he gives it back it won't. Make sure you have some form of in game chat with him first such as "here's the gold for the cata beta, make sure you give it back" and that will explain everything to the GM's as they will take a look at your chat logs.

Quote Originally Posted by staticflare View Post
    Thats alot of gold.
    Inb4 SUSAN

Also, your sig is too big.
    Stulti se laudant.
    Minecraft Survival Server: 203.206.166.219:25565
    http://www.youtube.com/user/fpiceail

It will probably flag up a GM to investigate but its unlikely they will do anything if you're logging in from the same standard IP

have him withdraw it from the gbank and you will be fine.

Given the amount of premades one can possibly have given the course of the beta so far, it is very easy to stack gold since each starts with 5k gold. I just have to ask though, why do you want that gold though? There isn't a whole lot you can do with it on beta and you won't get to keep it after it closes.

It's perfectly fine. As if they'd cared, -- and even if they did, it's beta, nothing of that will go live -- so no problemo.

Quote Originally Posted by Mercarcher View Post
    If he gives it back it won't. Make sure you have some form of in game chat with him first such as "here's the gold for the cata beta, make sure you give it back" and that will explain everything to the GM's as they will take a look at your chat logs.
    Oh, he'll give it back... else I'll go beat him up =P

Thanks all for the input, going to give it a little more thought then either just do it or ask a GM. If anyone has experience doing something similar though, I'd be great if you could post =)

It may possibly have issues of too much gold, based on character level. I'm not sure if the standard server transfer gold limits (since technically, the PTR/Beta copies are just that, cept your original doesn't leave) apply to PTR/Beta copies. That would be the best thing to confirm with a GM. Cause if so, a Level 1 can't go with likely more than 1000g.

Not sure if you can copy a level 1 character to Beta, though I haven't tried it so can't be sure, but you can't transfer characters under level 10 can you? would have thought it would apply to beta copies too;/

Yeah, ask a GM. You probably don't want to risk that much gold changing hands so much.

Who the hell would sell gold on beta?
    ''See me rise, the mighty Surt Destroyer of the universe. Bringer of flames and endless hurt. Scorcher of men and earth!''

why do you need gold in beta ?

The character you copy over won't actually be removed from live servers ya know.

1) let him make a level 1 toon
    2) let him withraw the money
    3) let him copy that level 1 over to the beta servers (it takes a snapshot of your char the moment you start the copy proces)
    4) let him deposit the gold back

This can all be done within 30 mins if the transfer proces allows it.
    "If you need to add '10char' to be able to post, don't bother posting at all."

ok im not sure about this but if im not mistaken u cant transfer a lvl 1 character at all.

edit: sry i just checked in account management and i was wrong.
    Last edited by goneloco; 2010-10-02 at 04:00 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by goneloco View Post
    ok im not sure about this but if im not mistaken u cant transfer a lvl 1 character at all.
    I think you are mistaken. Level 1 characters pop up on the transfer list just like any other level.
    Haven't actually wasted a copy on a level 1 before, but it does appear to be possible.
    "If you need to add '10char' to be able to post, don't bother posting at all."