Archeology gives experience

Not sure if the other proffesions do or not but i was messing around with archeology and each find i got was a quests worth of expeirance about 40k at 82, so maybe in cata if you level so many alts and you're bored or dont like a certian level bracket, there is another way to level your character.

All professions give a small amount of experience. I am 100% on gathering ones and 90% sure on crafting ones.

i dont think crafting ones are giving experience

Quote Originally Posted by overneathe View Post
    All professions give a small amount of experience. I am 100% on gathering ones and 90% sure on crafting ones.
    On the PTR it's just Herbalism and Mining, assuming you count skinning as a gathering profession. As far as I know none of the crafting professions give experience.

Herbalism, Mining, Skinning, and Archaeology do.

Experience gained scales with level. For the legit gathering professions, the materials must be skill-worthy to get XP from it (ie: Farming Peacebloom at skill 400, won't get you XP). Archaeology however, is not constrained as such, given that before Skill 100, the fragments you find give no skill, and you only get skill (5 at a time) for finishing artifacts (which awards no XP for finishing them).

Level 80
    Herbalism/Mining/Skinning were pumping out about 2500xp per.
    Archaeology was pumping out 11,500 per dig (so 3x per digsite)

Oh! And they are affected by, and consume, Rested XP. Assume Refer-A-Friend applies here too.

I did 80-81 on Beta with just Archaeology and a full rested bar (22,100xp per dig, so like 66,300xp per dig site). But got a shocker when the total XP of 80-82 is not even 1/2 of 82-83 (it's a combined 3.4mil for the first 2 levels, and 6.9mil for 83).

So, welcome to the pacifist leveling game: Grab Herbalism, Mining, and Archaeology and away you go!
    Last edited by ZeroEdgeir; 2010-10-03 at 10:18 PM.

Skinning does not give XP directly. But since you have to kill mobs to skin them, well...

Quote Originally Posted by ZeroEdgeir View Post
    Herbalism, Mining, Skinning, and Archaeology do.

Experience gained scales with level. For the legit gathering professions, the materials must be skill-worthy to get XP from it (ie: Farming Peacebloom at skill 400, won't get you XP). Archaeology however, is not constrained as such, given that before Skill 100, the fragments you find give no skill, and you only get skill (5 at a time) for finishing artifacts (which awards no XP for finishing them).

Level 80
    Herbalism/Mining/Skinning were pumping out about 2500xp per.
    Archaeology was pumping out 11,500 per dig (so 3x per digsite)

Oh! And they are affected by, and consume, Rested XP. Assume Refer-A-Friend applies here too.

I did 80-81 on Beta with just Archaeology and a full rested bar (22,100xp per dig, so like 66,300xp per dig site). But got a shocker when the total XP of 80-82 is not even 1/2 of 82-83 (it's a combined 3.4mil for the first 2 levels, and 6.9mil for 83).

So, welcome to the pacifist leveling game: Grab Herbalism, Mining, and Archaeology and away you go!
    Yeah pacifist levelers wont be as 'omg how did you do that' as they were before.

Quote Originally Posted by Markluzz View Post
    Not sure if the other proffesions do or not but i was messing around with archeology and each find i got was a quests worth of expeirance about 40k at 82, so maybe in cata if you level so many alts and you're bored or dont like a certian level bracket, there is another way to level your character.
    I had a quick question for you, on the topic of archaeology. Was trying to find some information about it in terms of 'ease' of leveling. You know how..well, you know how some professions aren't necessarily difficult to level, but some are very time consuming or expensive to level? How do you think archaeology is to level - since it looks like you're leveling it on the PTR. Just wanted to get an opinion of it. Personally, I think one of the easier professions to level is Alchemy, but obviously that's just my opinion. Ty in advance!

Archeology is a time sink to level. Somewhere on the forums there is a calculation guessing average rng and comute time, with no pvp time, of it taking 40hours to level.
    Pondering returning.
    Nikoll - Retribution Paladin

Quote Originally Posted by Nikoll View Post
    Archeology is a time sink to level. Somewhere on the forums there is a calculation guessing average rng and comute time, with no pvp time, of it taking 40hours to level.
    True, but imo it going to be a lot of fun, it'll be something to do while waiting to raid, or LFD or battlegrounds to pop. Because you can do it anywhere in the world and it only takes a few minutes anytime is archeology time.

If it does that sweet because its probably going to be the first profession im going to level

It does although for me anyway it got very very boring after a couple dig sites...
    A day without sunshine is like, you know, night.