Page 1 of 5
... LastLast

Cataclysm Video Card

Hey Guys,
    I decided to make my own computer and i need help finding a good video card for Cata. So far i know im going to get a 20" to 23" monitor and the i5 processor with 4 GB RAM. I looked at NVIDIA GeForce GTS 450 now should that run Cata on Ultra or should i aim higher? All suggestions and comments are welcome thanks in advance everyone

im not a pro but if its more than tice better than a nvidia 7800 Go on a laptop then you'll be fine on full settings

The entire Nvidia 400 series are beastly video cards. It should do a fairly good job of letting you have high settings while maintaining high FPS. What CAS Latency is your ram going to be?

FYI: This will be my new computer build when I get back from the desert..
    ASUS P58XD MB, 6GB Corsair Dominator CAS L 7, Nvidia 480, 256GB SSD, 1K TB WD Caviar Black HDD, i7-960 3.2GHz, 1.2K Watt PSU.
    Those are the basic components I have and I'm waiting till I return from overseas before purchasing a high end monitor and 2nd 480 card ftw.
    Last edited by Zevex; 2010-10-04 at 04:17 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Zevex View Post
    The entire Nvidia 400 series are beastly video cards. It should do a fairly good job of letting you have high settings while maintaining high FPS. What CAS Latency is your ram going to be?
    im not sure really what do you think it should be?

If you dont mind me by asking is Radeon X1300/X1550 Series any good because thats what i have right now or is it time for a new one?

I would go with an ATI card myself, but it really doesn't take much of a video card to run WoW on ultra. Performance in WoW depends more on your cpu than your gpu most of the time.

Edit: the X1300/1550 series is pretty outdated now

In short it's the speed at which your ram to run through it's cycles. The lower the latency the faster it runs through it's cycles.

It, really kinda depends on your processor speed too though. I will say I have gtx 260, and I run the game on 1920x1080p on ultra settings, and I get no lag. The 250 isn't a whole lot less powerful to than mine, but I'm not sure if i would expect it to run smooth under stressful conditions on ultra with that card. I do think the game is more cpu reliant though. btw I do have my quad core at 3.8ghz.

I hope this helps some, i could probably be more specific and at least sound like i'm a technician but i'm pretty ahmmered right now.. its the best i can do... later tator

ahh ok, i better start looking for a better one soon then. thanks for the info

Which i5 processor are you getting, do you know the specific speed of it?

15+ Year Old Account
    BloodVortex is right. If the main game you play is WoW, skimp on the Video card, grab a 200 series Geforce, and get a high-quality i7.

It will run Cataclysm much better than a Geforce 400 series with an i5.

Processor >>>> Video Card for WoW
    Global Moderator | Forum Guidelines

WoW is CPU heavy not GPU. Spending big bucks on a new video card will do less than getting a good processor.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lansworthy
    Deathwing will come and go RAWR RAWR IM A DWAGON
    Quote Originally Posted by DirtyCasual View Post
    There's no point in saying this, even if you slap them upside down and inside out with the truth, the tin foil hat brigade will continue to believe the opposite.

Quote Originally Posted by Zevex View Post
    Which i5 processor are you getting, do you know the specific speed of it?
    no im aiming high thou 3 ghz+

These days, you can pick up an HD 4850 for as little as $95, that's what I would recommend for someone on a budget. It' more than sufficient to run WoW on ultra.

Quote Originally Posted by Vandrel View Post
    I would go with an ATI card myself, but it really doesn't take much of a video card to run WoW on ultra. Performance in WoW depends more on your cpu than your gpu most of the time.

QFT - via experience.

Nice thread ... i will buy new comp soon so can someone help me with it ?
    What i need ? i mean minimal settings to run WOW in ULTRA HIGH Quality ...

My computer suckz he is too old (2002 December QQ)... and for sure i can't run Cata when it will come to live ...
    Last edited by Nethersys; 2010-10-04 at 04:34 AM.
    I know my english is not that good ... but i don't care as long as you can understand what i have wrote ^_^

alright ill look into processor a little more than the video card then thanks guys. additional info welcome

Quote Originally Posted by Nethersys View Post
    Nice thread ... i will buy new comp soon so can someone help me with it ?
    What i need ? i mean minimal settings to run WOW in ULTRA HIGH Quality ...

My computer suckz he is too old (2002 December QQ) for now and for sure i can't run Cata when it will come to live ...
    Probably should start your own thread instead of hijacking this one. something to include though would be what your budget is.

I'm sorry, but a GPU will almost always increase your performance more than a CPU unless your CPU is from 1990. There has always been this myth that WoW is more "CPU intensive" than GPU, but it's simply not true.

Having a poor GPU with a great CPU will do you no good. When I switched from my Q6600 quadcore at 2.4Ghz to my i7920 OC'd to 4.0, I barely changed in performance, because I kept the same gtx260 GPU.

GPU's are important, as long as you have a dual core 2.0+Ghz CPU(which 90% of pc's built in the last 10 years have) and at least 2gigs of ram, a GPU is your #1 way of increasing performance, I guarantee it.

As for a GPU I would get right now, nothing beats the Gtx460 for price/performance, you can get one for as low as $160 and it will play WoW on ultra minus maxing shadows.
    Last edited by Deceit; 2010-10-04 at 04:42 AM.

I can honestly give you a recomendation if that's what you want on a video card (And give me a price you're willing to spend), but to answer your question, most video cards that are even sold on the market now-a-days can run WoW at max settings with at least 20 FPS, depending on your resolution. Even then, I'd be shocked if you got less than 30.

Want to know what a good video card is? Fill out whatever you want on a guide search, then sort by most reviews. That's my way of finding good items. I'll trust a 600 reviewed, $130 video card over a $240 15 reviewed video card any day, depending on the rating. That's just if I don't care about specs on the card, though.