10+ Year Old Account

Question Overclocking CPU/RAM Questions

Hello all, I have a couple of questions regarding a computer I'm going to have soon that has these specific parts (among others, but these are the ones that matter to my questions):

CPU - Intel Core i7-930 2.8GHz 8MB LGA1366
    GPU - EVGA GeForce GTX 460 1GB GDDR5
    RAM - Corsair Dominator-GT 6GB (3x2GB) DDR3 2000MHz (PC3 16000)
    PSU - Corsair CMPSU-750TX
    Motherboard - ASUS P6X58D-E
    Case - Cooler Master HAF 932

1. Assuming 2000MHz RAM can't run at 2000MHz without first overclocking, should my RAM be able to reach that 2000MHz default it comes with safely on the HAF 932's stock cooling (which includes 3x230mm and 1x140mm fans, according to Newegg) or stock in general? I'm honestly not looking to push it much higher than that if the cooling would become an issue or if pushing it to 2000MHz is a stretch in the first place given the components, I'm just looking to have it reach 2000MHz and then go higher if I feel I safely can since that's the default the RAM comes with in the first place.

2. What is a safe (safer? safe-ish?) overclock on the i7-930? I was thinking 3.2-3.4GHz would be feasible with the HAF 932's cooling.

3. Does anyone have any information on overclocking the i7-930 and/or the Corsair Dominator-GT 6GB 2000MHz in a gradual process? Almost every guide I locate with solid information refers to bringing them up to near-maximum (i.e. forcing the CPU to 4.0GHz+) settings when all I want is to learn how to gradually and 'safely' increase the settings of both to a simple and stable point, similar to how overclocking the GPU is. I know it won't be that easy, but I can't for the life of me comprehend certain steps in the process. I don't know if it's the jargon involved and I'll just have to actually have the computer and BIOS in front of me to understand it, but the only things I'm able to understand so far are operating the programs used to stress test and the names of the settings I may or will have to change in the BIOS. I can't seem to understand how the majority of increments are chosen for reaching an overclock in most of the guides, and I don't know what settings are default for my components once I enter the BIOS which would at least give me a starting point to refer to when adjusting these increments.

Any other information that you would like to share that could help me in this regard is greatly appreciated. Thank you for your time.

15+ Year Old Account
    1. Your RAM's speed is completely tied to your CPU's overclock. It has its own multiplier, but if your base clock is under 200MHz, you're not going to have your RAM running at 2000MHz.

2. That really depends on the CPU cooler. i7 930s are known to go up to 4.0-4.2GHz pretty easily with a good air cooler.

3. Decrease your RAM and CPU multipliers to minimum; increase your base clock in increments (maybe 10MHz at a time) until you reach your goal or instability; increase your CPU multiplier in increments (start at maybe 15x and keep moving it up) until you reach your goal or instability; increase your RAM multiplier to get as close to your rated RAM speed as possible; test for instability between each step and again at the end. That's pretty much it. As part of your instability tests, I suggest OCCT's Linpack test, and you'll want to keep an eye on your temperatures.

10+ Year Old Account
    1. Is increasing the base clock to 200MHz a gradual process or should I be able to have it running at that base clock (RAM running at 2000MHz) immediately just by changing the base clock (and the multiplier if that should be changed)?

2. Hrm... I guess that means a minor overclock that I'm looking to do should be fine since I'm going to be monitoring the temperatures during the tests as well just in case...

3. Alright, I'll read more on this process. I have all the programs I should need already downloaded for installation once I obtain my computer, it's mostly just the BIOS process that have been confusing when I read about them. I suppose a minor question here is do I need to adjust the timings of the RAM, or is that technically what I'm doing, or is that not what I'm doing and that's unnecessary in this case? The default timings seem to be 8-9-8-24 and I'm assuming 1.65 volts... that's also something I probably should research some more just in case since I've seen the timings differ on certain ones...

Thanks a lot for your quick response.
    Last edited by twilightsamus; 2010-10-04 at 01:06 AM.

15+ Year Old Account
    1. Any increases should be gradual. The i7 will come with a default base clock of 133MHz. Bump it to 150MHz for your first test. After that, bump it 10MHz at a time until you hit 200MHz or get some instability. Remember to have your CPU/RAM multipliers at their minimum initially.

2. Yeah, pretty much, depending on your cooler. I think 3.2-3.4GHz might be doable on the stock cooler, but I can't say for sure.

3. At some point, you may hit instability. If you do, you may need to increase some voltages. I would suggest researching the different voltages, how they work, and how they interact (vCore, VTT/IMC, PCH, PLL, etc). "Auto" is typically considered a bad thing when overclocking, as the motherboard usually over-estimates voltage needed and pumps too much voltage into your chip. Also, always, always research the maximum values for your specific motherboard/CPU combination. Overvolting is a thousand times worse for a CPU than overclocking. If you want to reach a higher overclock (4.0-4.2GHz, say 200MHz base clock and 21x CPU multiplier), you'll likely need to bump your voltages up a touch. If you're looking to stay around 3.4GHz, you'll probably be at about 162MHz base clock and 21x CPU multiplier. That low of a base clock will likely work at default voltage.

It's a fair bit of research, but worth it in the end.

10+ Year Old Account
    Okay, great. Thanks a lot. I think the most difficult part is trying to learn this information when the majority of it seems to be hands-on once I'm actually at the BIOS, but I'm definitely trying to be as prepared and cautious as possible even though I'm sure to the more experienced this may be a pretty simple overclock to complete overall. =)

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by twilightsamus View Post
    Okay, great. Thanks a lot. I think the most difficult part is trying to learn this information when the majority of it seems to be hands-on once I'm actually at the BIOS, but I'm definitely trying to be as prepared and cautious as possible even though I'm sure to the more experienced this may be a pretty simple overclock to complete overall. =)
    Learning the voltages is probably the most difficult part of it all. It's just a lot of information to take in.

Read this thread. It's not the end all of OC but it covers the basics and should explain most things you need to know.

http://www.overclockers.com/3-step-g...core-i3-i5-i7/

15+ Year Old Account
    That is a fairly good beginner's guide. Thanks for the link, Dethh.

10+ Year Old Account
    Thanks a bunch, definitely seems informative. I'll try to read over it sometime this week.