Page 1 of 5
... LastLast

Will DPS be able to adjust

We all see in WOTLK DPS just tab target and attacked any mob they want. This is fine in the current model, but will they adjust to Cata?

Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    Tank Threat
    We don't want tank threat to be so high that the dps are absolved of all responsibility. If players are on the wrong targets, that is a L2P problem. If the mage opens with Arcane Blast before you even get a hit in, that is a L2P problem. If your group feels like they have to wait 6-10 seconds before they can start attacking, then that's either a tank problem or a problem on our end. Likewise, if your group feels constantly throttled several seconds or minutes into the fight, then either you aren't generating as much threat as you are capable of, or our numbers are preventing you from doing so.

Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    In the specific case of AEs such as Thunder Clap, we don't want them to be so powerful that they can hold threat all on their own. We don't want the AE tanking rotation to be just TC and Shockwave. If you are killing things one at a time, then you should make additional attacks to the next target to be killed and Thunder Clap should be sufficient to prevent healer aggro or the like.
    I keep seeing them refer to expectations of single target. Not only single target but the correct target. Will the DPS be able to adjust to that? Today even when I mark the spellflinger, it is last to die 9/10 times. Thoughts?

Deleted
    Most of the idiots will probably die a lot, and result in a lot of group wipes, in the end meaning they get kicked from the group. After some time, they either HAVE to adjust, or they will not get into dungeon runs because they're too dumb, and will thus not get into raids due to lacking the gear required. Most of them will probably try PvP, only to realize that its even MORE important to CC correctly in PvP and dmg the right target at the right time.

attack the tank's target and don't be a retard is the gist of the blue's post.

so how will this impact anyone with a brain?

They will either adjust, or simply cant progress.
    Thats the way it should be. You suck, you're stuck.
    I've never seen any single player game where it goes "you died 20 times to this boss, he now becomes easy enough that you can just whack him down"
    In demon's souls enemies will actually become stronger when you die.
    Quote Originally Posted by icylock View Post
    Gamon spends more time of his knees and back than haris pilton...

you would be surprised how many ppl cant click tank and press f

If they don't they will die. So, yes eventually they will.

If I was a tank and I would mark and they don't single target the right target they can fo. If switching to a different target is too much then I don't want you in my group.

It is a smart thing to explain marks at the start of the run when you are tanking. If they don't stick to the marks then I would tell them once more or vote kick depending on the situation. Justs stop carrying people and let them learn from the mistakes they make then at some point they will have to learn. Learn how to play together.

In answer to the title of your thread, yes, people will adjust, they adjusted to the aoe all the trash mentality of WotLK, so they weill adjust to the don't be a sped all the time requirements of Cataclysm, and if idiots who didn't play WoW back when CC and kiting and DPS focusing a target actually mattered get frustrated and QQ, then at least one of blizzards design goals will have been met

I like the model of TC being there to keep the healer from being overwhelmed by loose mobs.
    The bad DPS that refuse to learn will be labeled as such and they will quickly build a bad rep. Others who, like me, merely need to refresh what we did back in BC and classic will adjust after spending 2 years in lolwrath forgetting everything useful. Hell if someone marks I will kill the skull first all the time. Some of the people I'm playing with do this as well but others are a lost cause.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nabuza View Post
    I would go outside but the sun is out there right now
    Quote Originally Posted by 3clipse View Post
    Guys, we can autoshot while moving.

Whatever else they do, doesn't matter <3

I may actually have to re-bind assist in cata, thankfully.
    That poor old command dried up and blew away sometime around patch 2.4.3

It's going to be rough the first couple heroic runs re-learning how to trap and kite. Does concussive shot have a CD in beta?

To answer the OP: I'm sure in the first two or three months the lfd tool will be pretty much worthless because of the caliber of the players in there. But give it a minute and the most wondrous of things will happen. Bads will either get better (this would be the most ideal outcome, because then all the raid guilds get a big pile of fresh, competent meat to dig into), or they'll just stop queueing entirely (this would be the most likely outcome, seeing as most people that are terrible at vidja games would rather the game just be made easier for them for the sake of "fun"). Either way, competent players win!! High fives all around!

Deleted
    Lately it seems easier to kick players.. Lets hope it stays that way. They should however require us to type in a reason so the bafoon can learn from his mistakes.

Quote Originally Posted by Crosscut View Post
    I like the model of TC being there to keep the healer from being overwhelmed by loose mobs.
    The bad DPS that refuse to learn will be labeled as such and they will quickly build a bad rep. Others who, like me, merely need to refresh what we did back in BC and classic will adjust after spending 2 years in lolwrath forgetting everything useful. Hell if someone marks I will kill the skull first all the time. Some of the people I'm playing with do this as well but others are a lost cause.
    I agree to a point, I am also looking forward to doing more than spamming my dps buttons, but getting a bad rep was a much larger problem when you were only LFG on your server, with LFD people really have no way of knowing what sort of group they are going to get. I see LFD being used more to finish off a group rather than being used by individuals to find groups. It'll be the only way to guarantee a smooth run.
    Can't wait to CC stuff again, and kite, ah the jump shot, I have missed you.

I think it is going to be awhile before they adjust. I will be marking every pull again, just like in BC. If they fail, they get kicked, simple as that.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by dunghoof View Post
    Lately it seems easier to kick players.. Lets hope it stays that way. They should however require us to type in a reason so the bafoon can learn from his mistakes.
    Perish the thought anyone would take the time to teach instead of kick. Lord knows, the two minutes it takes to explain something is way too valuable.

There will always be the 'tards who will try and DPS anything you're not attacking, die, call you a horrible tank, then leave the group. Thankfully, those people won't progress until they learn "this isn't Wrath anymore, and I need to pay attention in even 5-mans."

A very subtle way of saying "I'm an elitist prick and I don't have time for toal nooooooooooooobssss."
    « DOr shar'adore da shando! » ♥

« Vladka | Ryska | Radka »

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by taishar68 View Post
    Perish the thought anyone would take the time to teach instead of kick. Lord knows, the two minutes it takes to explain something is way too valuable.
    I was in a dungoen yesterday. A badly geared moonkin (wrong gems and lack of enchants) kept pulling agro by attacking the wrong target. I told him, more then once and the second time in CAPS. When he did it the third time I just didnt heal him and let him die.. He started flaming me that I was a bad healer, and yes ofc I could have kept him up but I hoped it would teach him a leason..
    But when he started flaming me I was delightfully supprised how easy it was to kick him

What bothers me about this type or person is you can clearly mark and set a kill order..... yet they still ignore it....

A badly geared moonkin (wrong gems and lack of enchants) kept pulling agro by attacking the wrong target. I told him, more then once and the second time in CAPS. [...] He started flaming me that I was a bad healer, and yes ofc I could have kept him up but I hoped it would teach him a leason..
    :| Okay, I retract my previous statement. Bads will be bads.
    « DOr shar'adore da shando! » ♥

« Vladka | Ryska | Radka »

10+ Year Old Account
    Good thread in my opinion.

OT: The answer is in the beginning there was Go... in the beginning of the expansion people will have a hard time to adjust for those who haven't played before WOTLK but I think that for those who have done heriocs before WOTLK should be fine and will adjust after the first 5 heriocs or so. I just hope that there is no "LETS GO FASZTER PLS!!!"
    Hey everyone

I will make a macro when 4.0.1 hits. Spam it at the start. (kill order = skull, x, square, etc)
    I'll give them a chance and let them know what I want done. If they don't comply, then they get kicked.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Vladilena View Post
    There will always be the 'tards who will try and DPS anything you're not attacking, die, call you a horrible tank, then leave the group. Thankfully, those people won't progress until they learn "this isn't Wrath anymore, and I need to pay attention in even 5-mans."
    A very subtle way of saying "I'm an elitist prick and I don't have time for toal nooooooooooooobssss."

Why has careing become bad in this game? When I enter I bring my A game. Even if I overgear the instance and my earthshield can keep up the tank alone. I could slack but instead help dps. I give my all and expect others to do the same. Call me elitist but my kicks passes quite quickly so they must be just?