Thread: RGB vs HDMI

RGB vs HDMI

I recently bought a new 32" LG LED tv and I really enjoy playing WoW and other games with it occasionally. I took the normal RGB wire from the back of my computer's screen and attached it on the back of the tv. Result: perfect picture but it seems to have a bit higher delay than the normal computer screen. Like when you make a circle with your mouse on the screen it feels like it's coming a bit behind what your hand is actually doing with the mouse. This especially affects the FPS games which I also enjoy. Also while playing games which require a lot of performance from the computer like Assassins Creed 2 I noticed a lot of fracturing on the screen from side to side. Frames and other performance are quite same though.

My actual question here is that would the change of RGB to HDMI have any affect in decreasing the delay or the fracturing?
    Will HDMI do anything better?

What is RGB wire from the back of computer's screen? Don't really understand. What does it look like, and does it really come from monitor or the computer itself?

And yes, theoretically HDMI should always give best picture quality on FullHD or HDReady TV.
    Never going to log into this garbage forum again as long as calling obvious troll obvious troll is the easiest way to get banned.
    Trolling should be.

RGB is the blue headed wire with screws on it. From graphics card to screen

Ah, you mean the analog VGA cable.

Very high quality VGA cable should give pretty much same picture quality as HDMI cable, but HDMI is digital end to end without any extra conversions on the way. There shouldn't be any notable lag with either cable you're experiencing, but HDMI cable costs peanuts and is easy to try out. I guess it's possible the TV has some problems with analog VGA input which causes lag, but it's definitely not common, and shouldn't be that bad.
    Never going to log into this garbage forum again as long as calling obvious troll obvious troll is the easiest way to get banned.
    Trolling should be.

10+ Year Old Account
    how many milliseconds (ms) response time does your tv have?

Edit: if it is the LG 32LE5300, it has 2,4ms (accourding to google) so that wouldnt be the problem

This is a property of your television, not whether you are using RGB or HDMI

if we are talking about a very high quality TV like 1080p 120hz it is very possible that using an analog connector (such as a VGA) can hinder performance but if its anything less its prolly not. but if i had an HDMI connector on both my PC and my TV i would defiantly be using it. so just go out and steal a HDMI cable and plug it up im sure it will look and perform better.

HDMI cables are cheap and a lot easier to mess with. If you can hook up through that, I'd recommend it in any case.

Got a bit better than average cheap HDMI cable and it seems to have a lot greater performance with also less screen fracturing. I already thought that the VGA input had a good quality but the HDMI is awesome. Also the delay with the mouse movements appear to be gone.

Thanks for encouraging me to buy it. Totally worth it

HDMI is digital. A $5 cable is the exact same transmission as a $500 cable.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by B@nj0 P3do View Post
    how many milliseconds (ms) response time does your tv have?

Edit: if it is the LG 32LE5300, it has 2,4ms (accourding to google) so that wouldnt be the problem
    I think you are within the ballpark here, but you bring up the point that is important. Just WHAT did the OP get? While the differences between LCD TV's and Monitors are indeed shrinking, there still can be some differences between them that can cause some of the issues the op describes.

Also, if I was going to use an LCD as a monitor, I probably wouldn't use either the HDMI or the RGB. Instead, I'd probably shoot for the DVI-D cable.

The stars sweep chill currents that make men shiver in the dark...

Quote Originally Posted by Zoots View Post
    Also, if I was going to use an LCD as a monitor, I probably wouldn't use either the HDMI or the RGB. Instead, I'd probably shoot for the DVI-D cable.
    Signals of DVI and HDMI are identical for 1920x1080 resolution or lower, only connectors at the ends are different. That's why there are cheap crossover cables available.
    Trolling should be.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by vesseblah View Post
    Signals of DVI and HDMI are identical for 1920x1080 resolution or lower, only connectors at the ends are different. That's why there are cheap crossover cables available.
    Well.... yes and no. The video signal itself it pretty much the same yes. However HDMI also does digital audio which a straight DVI-D cable does not understand. Also HDMI supports added signals for digital copyright protection which DVI doesn't. I suggested the non-hdmi cable for a few reasons.

1) Computers in general tend to be more set up for a straight DVI setup with a separate audio hookup, and we don't know the users computer setup.
    2) We don't know what TV the OP bought, so suggesting what a computer monitor would normally use seems prudent until we know more.

But you bring up a good point. OP, what is the model # of the TV you bought? Also, are you using some sort of TV Tuner card on your computer, or are you using a traditional graphics card setup with either onboard sound or a separate sound card? If you are using a separate sound card, what model are you using?

I already bought the HDMI cable and ain't bothering to buy the DVI one for just really minor upgrades. The quality already got a lot better and the main problems are now gone.

If you still want to keep thinking what is best cable the model of my TV is LG 32LE5.

The video signal itself it pretty much the same yes.

Also HDMI supports added signals for digital copyright protection which DVI doesn't.
    Video signal is exactly the same. That's why DVI also supports HDCP 100%.

1) Computers in general tend to be more set up for a straight DVI setup with a separate audio hookup, and we don't know the users computer setup.
    You can use or not use any and all computer's audio outputs with or without HDMI or DVI alike.

2) We don't know what TV the OP bought, so suggesting what a computer monitor would normally use seems prudent until we know more.
    HDMI is about 100x more common connector in LCD TV than DVI, therefore suggesting to buy DVI cable for hooking PC to TV is rather risky. Also DVI cable costs 10x more and is lot heavier and bulkier.
    Trolling should be.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by VirtuousX View Post
    I already bought the HDMI cable and ain't bothering to buy the DVI one for just really minor upgrades. The quality already got a lot better and the main problems are now gone.

If you still want to keep thinking what is best cable the model of my TV is LG 32LE5.
    If you are satisfied with what you have now, then naw, I don't really feel like thinking about it further.

Quote Originally Posted by vesseblah View Post
    Video signal is exactly the same. That's why DVI also supports HDCP 100%.

You can use or not use any and all computer's audio outputs with or without HDMI or DVI alike.

HDMI is about 100x more common connector in LCD TV than DVI, therefore suggesting to buy DVI cable for hooking PC to TV is rather risky. Also DVI cable costs 10x more and is lot heavier and bulkier.
    I think you're just nitpicking about the video signal thing vs the 2 cables at this point. Also so far every lcd I've seen whether branded tv or monitor has supported a DVI connection. Lastly, where you get the idea that DVI is so expensive and bulkier? I can buy DVI for just a few bucks, and here at my apartment, the HDMI cable connecting to my 55" LCD TV is thicker than the DVI on my computer monitor. (btw, WoW on a 55" LCD is freaking awesome)

I think you're just nitpicking about the video signal thing vs the 2 cables at this point. Also so far every lcd I've seen whether branded tv or monitor has supported a DVI connection.
    Not nitpicking, correcting your factual errors regarding the digital video signals, and there were pretty many of those.

OP's TV, assuming it's the LG 32LE5300 has 3x HDMI and 1x VGA input, no DVI which is the standard for LCD TV's. Very few TV's have DVI because HDMI has the exact same signals but the connector is simpler and cheaper which brings manufacturing costs down.

Lastly, where you get the idea that DVI is so expensive and bulkier? I can buy DVI for just a few bucks,
    newegg.com - Cheapest* 10ft DVI dual-link cable $11.99, cheapest* 10ft HDMI cable $7.99. More questions?

* bothered to check only first page of results
    Trolling should be.