Poll: What if Blizzard added realms exclusive with older content - would you play?

Thread: What if...

Page 1 of 2
LastLast

What if...

Here comes a what if thread. I haven't seen any threads with this topic lately, so I thought it'd be cool to see what people think nowadays.

What if...
    - Blizzard made a classic server. A server with the latest classic build just before TBC, with level 60 as cap, has the old pvp ranking system, old world raiding instances with 40 player cap?
    - Blizzard made a TBC server. A server with the latest TBC build just before WotLK, with level 70 as cap, has TBC arena ranking system, TBC raiding instances with 25 player cap?
    - Blizzard created an additional fee of 5 bucks in order to play these realms?

Would you subscribe to any of these servers? With or without the fee?

Feel free to comment below. I would've made it a poll, but it seems bugged to me, or I don't have the permission to make one.

EDIT: I managed to add a poll.
    EDIT2: I know this is probably not news that anyone would ask this question, I merely did so because it's been a while since I have seen one of these polls and I would like to see how people feel now.
    Last edited by Alorn; 2010-10-05 at 04:49 AM.

this thread is new and exciting

Out with the old and with the new. Stories are based on progression, as is life.

This game is also based on progression.

This thread has been done to death, and the answer is simple: Its not going to happen.

Why would you want to play content that never changed?

That's why this is a stupid, nostalgia packed idea.

No, I wouldn't support Blizzard in the pursuit of such a stupid idea.

All of the systems you described at those points in time are worse than the systems replacing them. I would not pay to play on any of them, speak out against Blizzard for wasting my money and their time on foolish nostalgia, and I would heavily criticize them for working backwards instead of forwards. I would pity people who choose to pay for that, because they clearly don't remember how awful a lot of things are in comparison to now. We didn't think it at the time, because we had no perspective on how much better it could have been.

i would play the tbc server without the extra 5 dollar fee. that's the short answer

I would probably do the Vanilla version for like a year or so if there were others that I knew playing it too just to see how it was for I didnt play back then. That way I could say like the "cool" people "I remember back in Vanilla when things were hard and only real people could raid and stuff" lol

Quote Originally Posted by Lotharion View Post
    Why would you want to play content that never changed?

That's why this is a stupid, nostalgia packed idea.

No, I wouldn't support Blizzard in the pursuit of such a stupid idea.

Less rage and more maturity. But yes, what he said. I used to think this was a great idea because I loved the old raids. I found and joined a guild on Mal'Ganis that is a lvl 60 pvp/raid guild. In order to join the guild you can't use a BC/Wrath account so everybody had a 2nd account with just basic wow (reason behind this is if you have BC installed but have xp turned off at 60, you'll still be entered into 60-69 BGs but if you don't own BC you'll get in 50-60). After about 3 months of raiding MC and BWL and gearing up and getting decent progression into AQ it because VERY VERY boring. It was fun back then, but everything they added just added too many options. Going back to then just isn't a possibility right now. Alot of people in the guild agreed with me on this. The only good thing ended up being the lack of resilience in BGs which made pvp fun again. But to the point. If I felt it was boring, I assume theres hundreds of people that would share my feelings and might start a character but tire of him very fast. Blizzard has already stated they will not do a "vanilla only" server and I understand why now, it just wouldn't work in terms of profit.

Deleted
    Nope, its not going to happen. Blizzard doesnt want us to play in the past and get bored, they rather make new content. Dont you think icc is boring? Well, if you do then it is because its been out since December 09'.
    Last edited by mmoc9eb0d33af1; 2010-10-05 at 04:56 AM. Reason: Typo

here's a blue post that a blue linked to in a 09/30/2010 thread

"
    02/26/2010 12:36:25 PM PST

We occasionally see requests for us to open pre-TBC realms, or classic realms if you prefer. Lately there have also been requests for pre-WotLK realms, and I am sure that once the next expansion pack is released there will be requests for pre-Cataclysm realms as well. We have answered these requests quite a few times now saying that we have no plans to open such realms, and this is still the case today.

We have no plans to open classic realms or limited expansion content realms, and you should not expect to see the opening of such realms with the launch of Cataclysm either.

We realize that some of you feel that the classic game was more fun than the current game, and as a result would like to revel in nostalgia; the developers however prefer to keep the game moving forward as they want the game to continuously evolve and progress."

Quote Originally Posted by boazjuggalo View Post
    Less rage and more maturity. But yes, what he said. I used to think this was a great idea because I loved the old raids. I found and joined a guild on Mal'Ganis that is a lvl 60 pvp/raid guild. In order to join the guild you can't use a BC/Wrath account so everybody had a 2nd account with just basic wow (reason behind this is if you have BC installed but have xp turned off at 60, you'll still be entered into 60-69 BGs but if you don't own BC you'll get in 50-60). After about 3 months of raiding MC and BWL and gearing up and getting decent progression into AQ it because VERY VERY boring. It was fun back then, but everything they added just added too many options. Going back to then just isn't a possibility right now. Alot of people in the guild agreed with me on this. The only good thing ended up being the lack of resilience in BGs which made pvp fun again. But to the point. If I felt it was boring, I assume theres hundreds of people that would share my feelings and might start a character but tire of him very fast. Blizzard has already stated they will not do a "vanilla only" server and I understand why now, it just wouldn't work in terms of profit.
    Rage and maturity have little to do with each other.

Blizzard have said they will not do this, because they don't want to go backwards. A BC/Vanilla server is a nostalgia idea that is completely illogical. Something this simple might need some rage to convey.

Quote Originally Posted by Lotharion View Post
    Rage and maturity have little to do with each other.
    Um... of course they don't? That would be the reason I used 2 different words for each thing? I used rage because instead of using an intellectual argument you immediately put down the OP's question as a "stupid idea". And I used maturity because thats a very rude and immature thing to do to somebody. Assuming their point of view is "stupid" without rationalizing the argument is both raging and immature.

The C&Ped blue post is what I was referring to when I said they had already said they would not do it. But it also don't mention the future. I severely doubt they will, but you never know. Personally I wouldn't play it if they did.

This topic reminds me of those poor Chinese players that had to play TBC for such a long time, I feel their pain and I'm happy to see new contents in the game, so no old stuff for me.

I'm perfectly aware of how Blizzard feels towards the subject, however people can still have a personal opinion.

I wouldn't pay to play such a server, but there's not a doubt in my mind that I would try it out and test my nostalgia if I had the chance.

It's nice to see a lot of constructive posts, but also kinda sad that the point of this thead is so obviously lost on so many.

TBC was the shit, i would prob play that.

10+ Year Old Account
    I would love to play TBC again, and to try more stuff in vanilla since I didn't get a chance (started playing a bit late), BUT I think that I would quit really early since nothing ever changes.

It would be awesome if they had a group of people from blizzard who came with new content for TBC, raids/arena seasons and such, but I guess that would fuck up lore big time. I know it won't happen but still, it would most likely be awesome!
    Cave Cave Deus Videt

15+ Year Old Account
    I would only support this if...

A) Blizzard spent no time whatsoever fixing these realms if they were to break
    B) Blizzard wouldn't assign any GMs to these realms and if you have a problem then you're SOL

If you want to Vanilla/BC content, then do it. Make a new vanilla/BC only account and play. There are several guilds out there that still run this content and have rules and limitations to raiding with them. There is no point to waste valuable man hours and money to work/fix/maintain old and outdated content that a small, and by small I mean miniscule, fraction of the total paying population will actually use.

While the option would be easy to implement, there wouldn't be any raids since there wouldn't be enough people to form them.

No one would play on those realms, at all. Those nostalgic "people" that were like "OMG it was so hard back then".. No, it wasn't hard back then, it was easier back then compared to today. That arguement leads us to the conclusion, you will get so stupidly bored of the raids on these realms that you won't be playing them again. No, C'Thun wasn't fun, Lich King was fun. Yogg-Saron was fun. Vanilla was fun because no one would ever imagine anything else then what was before their eyes, and now that they've seen the much better fights, that's where their standard is set. You won't last more then a month on those realms.
    Quote Originally Posted by Xavier10101
    Yep, humans went around in those days casting balls of nature and stars at each other, and healing each other on the battlefield with thrown leaves.
    Quote Originally Posted by bizzy View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water