Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Swifteh View Post
    Found this from http://www.zam.com/story.html?story=21166

"The latest scuttlebutt surrounding Blizzard's upcoming "next-generation" MMO is that it will take place in the future and feature first-person-shooter gameplay, according to NoFrag.com, a French gaming website. The news story (which plays the old "a source familiar with the matter" card) attributes its source anonymously, so Blizzard fans shouldn't put too much stock into the following info (pardon the grammar; we used a Google-translated conversion to glean these quotes in English):

"[...] the next MMO from Blizzard is in part an FPS. It will take place in a futuristic universe. [...] In this new MMO, each player has two "lives" his first "life" is a kind of Sims Online, a giant hub with social interaction and the ability to connect to its second life. Which will consist of fighting for subjective."

Despite the shadiness of the article and alleged source, we do know with moderate certainty that Blizzard's next-gen MMO will not be based on one if its existing IPs (which would include StarCraft), according to a post by community manager Zarhym last summer in the official forums. Many fans have predicted that Blizzard's next MMO would feature hybrid gameplay, possibly bridging the gap between the MMORPG and MMOFPS genres. We have to admit, the premise of the MMO described in this article does seem like the brand of innovative game design the community expects from Blizzard; a sort of "two MMOs in one" theme, with one aspect geared toward social interaction (and perhaps all the things that never made it into WoW, like player housing, guild halls, Web 2.0 integration), and another gameplay front devoted to action-oriented, FPS-styled combat. On the other hand, it could all be complete BS, intended to spike reader traffic. Still, it's fun to speculate. What do you think?"
    It is such a good idea the makers CrimeCraft thought of exactly that a few years ago. lol (well TPS rather than FPS. but I personally wouldnt play an RPG in FP mode.)
    Last edited by Mijen; 2010-10-05 at 07:28 AM.
    News | Forum Guidelines | MMO Champion IRC | Free Games List
    Playing: Guild Wars 2 | APB: Reloaded
    -I don't care what the next expansion is about, as long as the story is dark and rich so I can refer to it as Chocolate WoW.

world of peacebloom vs ghouls! gogo.
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    If [the dps] are on the wrong target, then they are playing badly and should be corrected and / or mocked, depending on how you roll.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Ayirasi View Post
    Maybe Blizzard will take a page from World of Lorecraft and create Space Wars: The Aged Republic.
    Hehe, nice one, but to avoid heavy suing I think something along the lines of "Space Conflicts: The Aged Democracy" is more appropriate.

10+ Year Old Account
    theres at least one, maybe two wow expansions comming. with argus, xoroth, emerald dream, etc...

as for their next mmo, world of starcraft lol, fps style? xD omg healing would need SKILLx100 there xD
    seeing how warhammer 40k will be out in 2012. it would attract many players.

Best would be World of Warcraft 2
    Last edited by Pokemaster; 2010-10-05 at 07:50 AM. Reason: lol

I'm just a little curious, other then Blizz saying they are working on a second MMO, is there any other official info?

Infractions: 2

Deleted
    Since they've merged with Activision, I'm guessing World of Call of Duty.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gordon View Post
    Hehe, nice one, but to avoid heavy suing I think something along the lines of "Space Conflicts: The Aged Democracy" is more appropriate.
    Noble space samurai monks, allied with the Astronomic Democracy, engaged in bitter war with evil space ninja pirates of the Seethe Imperium, while becoming wise in the ways of The Vigor. Master the fine art of wielding the powerful Glow Foil as you engage your enemies across the vast reaches of space and explore expansive planetary regions!

I smell a best-seller and award-winner.
    Need Roll - 1 for [Bright Pink Imbued Mageweave Banana-Hammock] by Ayirasi

Quote Originally Posted by Vanyshh View Post
    I'm predicting them announcing it at 2011 Blizzcon
    Actually - I wouldn't be surprised if they announce it at this years Blizzcon. They need something to make a big announcement about and of their 3 current franchises, they're nothing major left for them to say. We know when Cata is out, Starcraft 2 is already out and, if I understand it rightly, they've not finished releasing the announced campaigns for it yet, and Diablo 3 has been announced and will be released 'when it's ready'.

The Cata cinematic really isn't a big enough deal to have that as the major 'you must be here to experience this' deal for the conference.

Hopefully steampunk themed

Quote Originally Posted by Ebbikenezer View Post
    You can google it, something came about at a conference over in Europe or something. It is something to do with Sci-fi for sure, but it is NOT Starcraft related, or as stated above NONE of their current franchises.

From what I found on official posts and google, it is going to be some sort of odd Sci-fi... idk... FPS/3PS... where like.. you can be mingling with the community ( i.e. - running circles in Dal/Org/SW)-- and then enter into... some sort of group combat/raid... idk... a lot is speculation but SOME of it (patents and such) has leaked out.
    I think its the bungie aquisition acti/blizzard did earlier this year that you ar etalkin about there, see below:

http://dualshockers.com/2010/04/29/a...game-universe/

---------- Post added 2010-10-05 at 07:08 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Snowulf View Post
    not really, they have said it would take place in a pre-existing game universe ( google old blizzard games)
    And there was a legendary leak about the next one being a fps mmo

the link is here
    http://www.blizzardnewmmo.com/Leaks
    for those who don't want to go ill copy paste:
    A French gaming site reported[1] that "according to source familiar with the mater" the new MMO from Blizzard will be an MMOFPS with several social aspects. This source could be someone working in the European Headquarters of Blizzard in Paris, France or Blizzard's parent company Vivendi Universal.
    So wrong, blizz stated that the new MMO was a whole new franchise and stop there.

Quote Originally Posted by Snowulf View Post
    not really, they have said it would take place in a pre-existing game universe ( google old blizzard games)
    actually im pretty sure they said it will NOT be a pre-existing game universe. they said it will be an entirely new universe.

Quote Originally Posted by Wardley View Post
    Actually - I wouldn't be surprised if they announce it at this years Blizzcon. They need something to make a big announcement about and of their 3 current franchises, they're nothing major left for them to say. We know when Cata is out, Starcraft 2 is already out and, if I understand it rightly, they've not finished releasing the announced campaigns for it yet, and Diablo 3 has been announced and will be released 'when it's ready'.

The Cata cinematic really isn't a big enough deal to have that as the major 'you must be here to experience this' deal for the conference.
    Actually, thinking about it a bit more, I suppose any 'big announcements' at this years Blizzcon could be about battle.net (it seems to be becoming their 'fourth franchise' at the moment anyway). Maybe voice chat? (cos we know how well that worked in WoW or maybe Activision games will start to join battle.net as well (not sure how that would work with games consoles though).

I don't understand why they want to make a new MMO. They will have to compete with their own game. Or they have to stop WoW which seems pretty retarted to even think about.
    They can do at least another 2 expansions after cata so that is another 6 years at least. They can probably keep wow running for much longer if there are no new and very cool technologies for MMO's or a whole different style of MMO, which they will probably make themselves.

So this new MMO (MMOFPS ;o) must be really good and will take a very long time before they will release something. I think they want to keep experimenting with WoW to see what works best for a while.

Quote Originally Posted by anarchia deus View Post
    World of Lovecraft, now that would own, i mean they have already alot of Lovecraft influences in Warcraft lore with the old gods ect ect, and you can in some way also connect sci-fi with cosmic horror
    Please jebus yes. Besides this, I always said I'd become a shut-in who no one ever saw outside again if they would just make World of Starcraft. That seems too difficult to implement at first glance, but who saw World of Warcraft coming when they released Warcraft 2?

Another interesting idea is the mmofps. I played Borderlands. It was a blast, other than some funky vehicle physics. The loot system would have to be really tinkered with if it was extrapolated to be an mmo. If you've never played Borderlands, go download a trial or something and give it a whirl. Just imagine if the systems in it were polished up good and shiny, some mechanics refined and made a lot more fluid. It'd be GRAVY on top of BACON on top of STEAK. Delicious incarnate.
    Last edited by Tayfow; 2010-10-05 at 11:35 AM.

Deleted
    World of warfare

Release date 2015

True story brah

Quote Originally Posted by Gilian View Post
    I don't understand why they want to make a new MMO. They will have to compete with their own game. Or they have to stop WoW which seems pretty retarted to even think about.
    They can do at least another 2 expansions after cata so that is another 6 years at least. They can probably keep wow running for much longer if there are no new and very cool technologies for MMO's or a whole different style of MMO, which they will probably make themselves.

So this new MMO (MMOFPS ;o) must be really good and will take a very long time before they will release something. I think they want to keep experimenting with WoW to see what works best for a while.
    It won't necessarily be competing with themselves. Especially if it's an mmo-fps. Those are aiming for very different demographics. Plus WoW is aimed at people who care about Warcraft. The new MMO will be easy to get into the lore for anyone since it is a new IP.

World of warcraft 2

Will not happen, true story

10+ Year Old Account
    Like a lot of ppl in here, my guess goes to an MMO-Halo.
    Blizz-Activision have acquired Bungie recently. They have stated that they did so because Bungie was looking at the awsome job Blizz did in an MMO.
    And if you check the upcoming Halo games you can see they want to do an MMO.

Quote Originally Posted by Gilian View Post
    They can probably keep wow running for much longer if there are no new and very cool technologies for MMO's or a whole different style of MMO, which they will probably make themselves.
    And that's probably the reason *why* they're working on a new MMO. There's been a lot of changes since WoW was first released and while Cata will update the original game to take advantage of some of them, sometimes it's easier to just start again with a fresh clean slate that can make full use of the higher spec computers that are being shipped now.

Or, and dare I even mention this, as games consoles are getting to be more computer like anyway, a new MMO which is playable by anyone on either a PC or a games console? Imagine fighting a boss with a Wii stick, PS3 Move or Xbox Kinect controllers?