Thread: Initial Startup

Initial Startup

Hey guys, I'm going to be building a new computer and I need some tips on what to do after it's built, software wise.

This is the order I have came up with so far:

1) Boot new computer
    2) go into BIOS and make sure all hardware is detected
    3) Set CD drive to boot first ( to be switched back later )
    4) Put in OS CD in CD drive
    5) Save BIOS settings and restart computer
    6) Install windows

Now my question is what do I do next after I install windows. Since It's a new system there's going to be lots of updates for me to do. Do I install my windows updates / virus scanner first, install my motherboard drivers second, and then installing my video card drivers third? Also when I updated the motherboard drivers , is that updating my BIOS or is that a separate update? I've been also told to not use the cd drivers that come with my motherboard and video card. And that I should go to the manufactures site instead for the latest driver updates.

Tips are appreciated!! If someone could even give me their routine that would be wonderful

Thank you!!

Reboot every time you're asked to

1) make separate user and administrator accounts
    2) install motherboard drivers (usually ethernet ports will not work without it)
    3) download and install your favourite internet browser
    4) download and install your favourite AV package
    5) download and install latest video drivers from www.ati.com or www.nvidia.com
    6) run OS update, reboot, run update, reboot etc... until there are no more recommended/hardware patches left
    7) install all your regular programs
    8) all done

Do not install any BIOS patches or download any motherboard drivers beyond the ones supplied with the board unless you have stability problems or you know for sure there is a reason for the updates.
    Never going to log into this garbage forum again as long as calling obvious troll obvious troll is the easiest way to get banned.
    Trolling should be.

Question

Quote Originally Posted by vesseblah View Post
    Reboot every time you're asked to

1) make separate user and administrator accounts
    2) install motherboard drivers (usually ethernet ports will not work without it)
    3) download and install your favourite internet browser
    4) download and install your favourite AV package
    5) download and install latest video drivers from www.ati.com or www.nvidia.com
    6) run OS update, reboot, run update, reboot etc... until there are no more recommended/hardware patches left
    7) install all your regular programs
    8) all done

Do not install any BIOS patches or download any motherboard drivers beyond the ones supplied with the board unless you have stability problems or you know for sure there is a reason for the updates.

Is this ok too? I figured I would install the video drivers after the anti virus software is installed. Since I would be going online to get the video drivers unlike the mobo ones?

1) Boot new computer
    2) go into BIOS and make sure all hardware is detected
    3) Set CD drive to boot first ( to be switched back later )
    4) Put in OS CD in CD drive
    5) Save BIOS settings and restart computer
    6) Install windows
    7) use disk that came with mobo to update drivers
    8) install anti-virus software
    9) install video drivers
    10) windows updates
    Last edited by Degandral; 2010-10-05 at 02:42 PM.

15+ Year Old Account
    checking bios for hardware is pointless. unless your computer fails to boot it will automatically be detected. just set cd to be first boot device

install windows, install mobo drivers (namely lan only), get browser, get antivirus, get newest sound driver, video driver and whatever other drivers you need, windows updates, then install software etc
    "I'm glad you play better than you read/post on forums." -Ninety
    BF3 Profile | Steam Profile | Assemble a Computer in 9.75 Steps! | Video Rendering Done Right

Field Marshal
    10+ Year Old Account
    Useful thread for another newbie to building. Do you actually need to get sound drivers for your motherboard as well?

15+ Year Old Account
    Not necessarily, but it is highly recommended. Most motherboards have HD audio, something that I don't believe Windows inherently supports.
    "I'm glad you play better than you read/post on forums." -Ninety
    BF3 Profile | Steam Profile | Assemble a Computer in 9.75 Steps! | Video Rendering Done Right

CD that comes with motherboard usually have the following:

drivers for ACPI (power management)
    drivers for chipset (usually includes audio and LAN drivers)
    drivers for extra USB/SATA/RAID controllers (optional)

The chipset drivers supplied are usually totally fine for daily stuff, and unless you run into problems, there's no real need to update those ever. Windows installation media does not have these drivers, but once you get online, Windows Update service will usually have these available too in the optional hardware drivers section.
    Never going to log into this garbage forum again as long as calling obvious troll obvious troll is the easiest way to get banned.
    Trolling should be.