Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    10+ Year Old Account
    The difference was astounding, as in Arcane was hitting for 3x the total damage from Explosive Shot. This has been fixed and Arcane Shot is the lowest priority Focus-costing shot, and is really just used to dump your Focus before you start SShotting it back up.
    "WoW is a game about upgrading your stuff." - Ghostcrawler

Quote Originally Posted by Cilraaz
    anachronistic hypocrites
    Oh noes! We're time traveling hypocrites!

I don't know about at 85 because I am not cool enough to have beta, but approx 2 days ago Arcane was still hitting harder damage/focus than Explosive with crit gemmed gear and mastery reforged to ~600 rating.

Just from my notes written down from heroic dummy test(I don't have the recount anymore I guess), Explosive did 12639 damage on average at 44 focus per and Arcane did 7675 average at 22 focus per, putting Explosive at 287 D/F and Arcane at 348 D/F. Pretty big difference still. I don't really mind though.
    Last edited by Shirahadori; 2010-10-07 at 08:58 PM. Reason: typos

Quote Originally Posted by chelate View Post
    The difference was astounding, as in Arcane was hitting for 3x the total damage from Explosive Shot. This has been fixed and Arcane Shot is the lowest priority Focus-costing shot, and is really just used to dump your Focus before you start SShotting it back up.
    This is at 85 I assume? Cos its defo not the case on ptr.

Quote Originally Posted by Feralferal View Post
    Yes to the beer and killing rogues thing!
    maybe kill feral druid as well? They steal our 2H weapons, rings, necks and trinkets

Tested on the PTR last night. Sorry I don't have teh exact numbers but the server has a reset while I was still testing.

I will not go in to what gear / talents as that is not important. What is important is the % difference between the shots.

Arcance was critting for 60% of the time. with an average crit of just over 6k (6048 i think)

Explosive Shot was critting 66% (glyph) of the time with an average crit of 4k (4001) per tic.

Looks like Blizz got to the numbers. Can anyone else please confirm they are getting the same sort of figures

Quote Originally Posted by Bedhead View Post
    Arcance was critting for 60% of the time. with an average crit of just over 6k (6048 i think)
    Explosive Shot was critting 66% (glyph) of the time with an average crit of 4k (4001) per tic.
    Because you didnt mention your Arcane was glyphed, I assume it wasnt. Glyphed Arcane would deal 12% more damage (6774), meaning it hits harder per focus than Explosive.
    Also factor in more focus regenerated during two Arcanes than during one Explosive and you have clear winner

Xfire.com/live_video/fuqfacebetch/, there you can see some heroics from a hunter pov right now.

It's more then just damage/focus you have to look at, It's also damage/time. Does ES>SS>SS Do more damage/time then AS>AS>SS>SS? You also have to remember we're missing our focus gaining ability, and instead have to use a far weaker SS.

Can someone post their AS/SS/ES average damage & crits? I ran out of character transfers, and Un-gemmed un-enchanted full t9 hunter isn't exactly good for testing.

I'm going to be Marks anyway, because I always have been, but I still can't believe they made Cobra Shot an integral part of the new focus system for two out of three specs, then made it unavailable till 81. "Hey, we're revamping everything, making the classes more intuitive, lowering the level on a lot of abilities, pets at level 1, etc...oh, but be prepared to kind of suck a little till 81. We recommend quest grinding and avoiding dungeons till then." I mean, it's not game-breaking by any means, but neither would be introducing Cobra at 40 or 50 or some such.

Quote Originally Posted by Yoshimiko View Post
    It's more then just damage/focus you have to look at, It's also damage/time. Does ES>SS>SS Do more damage/time then AS>AS>SS>SS? You also have to remember we're missing our focus gaining ability, and instead have to use a far weaker SS.

Can someone post their AS/SS/ES average damage & crits? I ran out of character transfers, and Un-gemmed un-enchanted full t9 hunter isn't exactly good for testing.
    Ask and ye shall receive!

The question you should be asking is "Is ES,SS,SS,SS more damage than AS,AS,SS,SS". Same focus cost, same number of GCDs.

After a 4-minute test of using ES only during LnL procs, I found that ES averaged 6300 per tick on crit, 2700 on hit. Critrate was around 72%. I'm not a math whiz, but if I squash those two together as 6300*0.72+2700*0.28 I get 4536+756=5292. Three ticks of that is 15876. Steady Shot averages 5700 on crit, 2900 on hit with a 65% critrate. Following the same formula as I used to determine an average ES crit, I get 4720 as my average Steady Shot. Three of those is 14160. Thus in my gear, 30036 is my average ES,SS,SS,SS.

(To comply with your initial request - removing one Steady puts ES,SS,SS at 25316.)

Arcane crit for 9600 on average, hit for 4600, critrate of 58%. That comes to an average of 7500 per Arcane. Two of those is 15k, two Steady Shots is 9440, which makes my average AS,AS,SS,SS around 24440.

Character copied is Moyotoshi from Cho'gall with Bloodfall and Herkuml War Token, hit reforged to Mastery down to hit cap, all other gear had crit or haste reforged to Mastery, I preferred to reduce crit when possible. All gems 20 Agility except one 10Hit/10Haste to activate the meta. Glyphs used were Kill Shot, Serpent Sting, Arcane Shot.

Disclaimer: This is a fairly short parse, with a lot more Arcane Shot instances than Explosive Shots. Will test again using Explosive Shot whenever available.

---------- Post added 2010-10-09 at 04:04 AM ----------

Results of second test: Another 4 minutes of prioritizing ES whenever available gave these results:

ES average crit 5500, average hit 2700, critrate 55%.
    AS average crit 10200, average hit 4500, critrate 73%.

In this instance, ES averaged 4240 per tick, or 12720 per cast. AS averaged 8661 per cast.

With these results, ES,SS,SS,SS = 26880, while AS,AS,SS,SS = 26762.

Again, short parses, but with current gear it seems that using ES in place of two AS's is still the way to go. And you'll end up ahead on Focus due to firing another Steady Shot.
    Last edited by Moyotoshi; 2010-10-09 at 04:06 AM.