Deleted

where can i find my starcraft I CD key?

So a few months ago, right after the release, i got the collector's edition of Starcraft II. in there was a USB drive with on it the complete version of starcraft 1. the installer was an automated program that automatically entered the CD key. NO OTHER DOCUMENTATION WAS INCLUDED!

so i just installed it, and wanted to register the game to my battle.net account. however, i need the game key for that. where can i find that? i've already checked the text files that were on the drive and in the installation folder, but i can't seem to find it.

Deleted
    I dont think you get a key from the collectors edition.

Deleted
    then how could i have installed my game? this is from the pre-authentication era. you needed a CD key to install it. i know i have one, but it entered automatically.

I'm not talking about starcraft 2, but starcraft 1. the collector's edition of starcraft 2 comes with a USB drive that has the installation files for starcraft 1 on them. it's that game i'm talking about. i want to register my starcraft 1 version to my Battle.net account. how do i do that? by entering the code. where can i find that code? i don't know. any assistance on this matter would be great.

15+ Year Old Account
    There are several Starcraft "cd key grabbers" out there, but I wouldn't waste my time with them, a lot of them aren't trustworthy. I'm reinstalling my copy of SC as I type this, I think the cd key is located inside stardat.mpq and is decrypted whenever B.Net is launched. I think I can come up with a quick set of instructions for you if that does indeed work for me.
    Global Moderator | Forum Guidelines

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by dcemuser View Post
    There are several Starcraft "cd key grabbers" out there, but I wouldn't waste my time with them, a lot of them aren't trustworthy. I'm reinstalling my copy of SC as I type this, I think the cd key is located inside stardat.mpq and is decrypted whenever B.Net is launched. I think I can come up with a quick set of instructions for you if that does indeed work for me.
    great! i already encountered a problem with one of those so called "key grabbers". luckily, norton stopped it dead in it's tracks.

15+ Year Old Account
    It's extremely difficult to track down. It appears the cd key is located in stardat.mpq but only inside the hex. I ended up just looking around the internet and finally finding a program that worked.

VirusTotal analysis: http://www.virustotal.com/file-scan/...61f-1286473026 (it's clean)

Download link: http://www.mediafire.com/?9il49ybu6f3c7af

What you have to do is load up Broodwar, patch up to the latest version (1.16.1) and then go to the Login to Battle.net screen where it prompts you to enter your username and password. Don't log in, instead, minimize and run this little program, hit grab CD Key and you should be set.

Deleted
    what do you mean with "load up"? launch the game? i already got the latest patch. so i need to launch the game, then go to the battle.net page, then run that file?

15+ Year Old Account
    Launch Starcraft 1, go to Multiplayer, click on BroodWar, click on Battle.net, and hit okay, and then when it brings you to the sign in screen, minimize and run that file, yes.

I took a terrible screenshot of the screen you should minimize at: http://img689.imageshack.us/img689/69/sc1picture.png

Deleted
    i'm getting "ERROR" in both fields. i have entered my username exactly as it said when i installed the game...

15+ Year Old Account
    Weird. It may have to do with the USB drive version of Starcraft 1. I'll look into it in just a moment.

Edit: http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/view...opic_id=152529

says that if you run the Installer for SC1 from the USB flash drive itself (don't copy the files over), then it should show the CD Key there.

Edit 2: Here's a blue post on the topic

http://forums.battle.net/thread.html...d=264327887743

Apparently the CD-Key is generated based on the USB drive itself.
    Last edited by Simca; 2010-10-07 at 06:46 PM.

Deleted
    when i run installer.exe from the drive, i get the installed splash, not the pre-install splash, meaning the one with

play starcraft
    tech support
    exit launcher

so i can't access the installation screen again.

so there is only 1 thing left to try: uninstall and reinstall. with current speeds that won't take long.

edit: i uninstalled and reinstalled, and i managed to get the CD key this time. saved it to the disc, and now i can DL the installation files from my Battle.net account anytime i want.

thanks for the suggestions, dcemuser. btw, weird name.
    Last edited by mmocb0245d6bcb; 2010-10-07 at 07:04 PM.

15+ Year Old Account
    Yeah... yeah it is. I should ask for a name change just in case the moderators will take pity on my bad naming decisions.

Glad I could help.