Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Question Dungeon grinding

I am currently 38 and have some 80 friends that said they would help me level if i needed anything. I was wondering what would be the best way to put them to use? Maybe grind Uldamen or go into a zone and just have them help me do all the quest quickly? I have read Gherkins guide too, just wondering what anyones thoughts were on this.

i have 4 80s and i have found that if you just go into the LFG and u get a group for an instance and you are able to run several runs with a group your level you will level super fast

Runs from 80s really arnt that good because you get super reduced xp

As an altoholic, I have also been looking for the best way to gain XP:

Dungeon quests > Dungeons > Questing > Battlegrounds

My advice would be to find a tank>healer for a quick queue, then spam random dungeons. It's just the quickest way of levelling up at the moment.

Field Marshal
    10+ Year Old Account
    if you cant get a tank/healer to join you, i suggest queuing for a dungeon while you continue to do quests, and if they do not want to continue running after the first run, you are sent back to where you were. then just rinse and repeat

Being power leveled by an 80 is the best way to go honestly. I have a ret pally that can clear Stratholme dead side (live side is bad for lowbies because of those random aggro charges) in about 15 minutes. Doing that I took my friend from 45 to 56 in under a day. Yes the XP is super reduced, but if you have level 80 friends that know what they're doing, and can burst out 10k dps on an AoE pull, you will level fast as hell.

My advice for level boosting, at your level you can do sunken temple, do that till 45, then do Stratholme till 56. From there get your friends to summon you to the steam vault, and run that till 68. Then from there, it's just northrend dungeons, starting with UK of course. Keep in mind, it's best if you only group with one 80 (at least till northrend) use 2 80 friends for the steam vault if you don't have a good plate or mail wearing friend (shammy or pally prefered, for the ability to heal and rez) that can just wreck the place. I suppose a good druid would be just as effective, maybe better even if they're a boomkin.

And by all that is holy, when you get to 75 do the ampitheater of anguish questline, it's more XP per time spent than pretty much anything else in the game.

Once you get to level 45, you can go into any Vanilla dungeon. Strath, BRD, Dire Maul, Scholo will give great XP and they're worth looking at at least once.

Field Marshal
    10+ Year Old Account
    hell, go 5 man MC/BWL

By being boosted you learn nothing of your class.
    It is down to you to make the decision as to what sort of player you choose to be.
    Come the cataclysm dungeons, and the culture shock of CC and thinking before a pull, then the sooner you get into good practices the better.
    Dungeons and quests will make you a better players no doubt.

Field Marshal
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ComputerNerd View Post
    By being boosted you learn nothing of your class.
    It is down to you to make the decision as to what sort of player you choose to be.
    Come the cataclysm dungeons, and the culture shock of CC and thinking before a pull, then the sooner you get into good practices the better.
    Dungeons and quests will make you a better players no doubt.

i wish this forum had a like button. i got my friend into the game and he wanted to play a warlock like me. i felt like my dad, "when I was your level I had no gold, no clothes except the greys on my back, and i was HAPPY to earn a level. you kids take it all for granted!...up hill both ways in the snow..."

but I did tough love with my friend, made a toon to level with him, and now hes a fantastic lock.

Deleted

Its actually

Dungeon quests > Questing > Dungeons > Battlegrounds

It's a pity Blizzard doesn't give more Exp from Bg's..
    -Did you think we had forgotten? Did you think we had forgiven? Behold, now, the terrible vengeance of the Forsaken! Death to the Scourge! And death to the living!

-Now, all can see this is the hour of the Forsaken.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by LeonKaspers View Post

Its actually

I support Leon. I have a route down for questing that goes way beyond accept all quests -> do them -> turn in. If you know how to minimize travel time and only do quests that are worth it regarding XP/effort you will outpace dungeon groups easily.

However, I understand that a lot of players despise questing, and there is nothing wrong with that. Then dungeons are a alternative that is also quick if done right. Very good XP can also be done in BGs, especially on extra honor weekends.

I tried leveling from Bg exp as well, but it's really slow... Just doing quests is way faster.
    -Did you think we had forgotten? Did you think we had forgiven? Behold, now, the terrible vengeance of the Forsaken! Death to the Scourge! And death to the living!

-Now, all can see this is the hour of the Forsaken.

Quote Originally Posted by LeonKaspers View Post

Its actually

As far as this goes, I found dungeons faster Pre-BC, since the quests are all scattered to hell and back, but that's just me personally. Plus, i was leveling a tank. My rogue quests now while waiting for the que though.

15+ Year Old Account
    For warlocks:
    Dungeon Quests > Farming mobs while questing (NEVER STOP KILLING) = Battlegrounds (until level 60) > Questing in clusters > Grinding > one-off quests here and there > BG's past 60

Examples:
    6 Quests in Stockades + the mobs + the dungeon rep is more experience per unit of time than...
    Questing in clusters, such as Ungoro Crater's 6 quests you can grab at once) while killing everything in your way is more experience per unit of time than...
    Winning Warsong Gulch at level 39 is more experience than...
    Just doing quests in groups, like in Ungoro, but riding around all the mobs instead of killing them...
    Grinding mobs ina high respawn place, such as the tanaris pirates...
    Winning Eye of the Storm at 70...

R.I.P. YARG

15+ Year Old Account
    One suggestion when queue'ing for dungeons. Once you get a group ask them directly if they wanna continue for more dungeons afterwards. Since usually all of them will queue up over and over so instead of leaving and rejoining just ask them to continue with more dungeons. And obviously, do it with people in your level range, no need for 80's

Best advice I could give would be to be constantly earning XP. What I do is quest while I'm in queue for a random dungeon. Do the dungeon, then queue up again and continue questing. I don't always take the queue, it depends on what I'm feeling like doing at the moment. The simple fact that I'm able to mix it up questing or doing a random keeps me playing and leveling for longer at a time. Hope it helps. Cheers.

Quote Originally Posted by lexaqua View Post
    I am currently 38 and have some 80 friends that said they would help me level if i needed anything. I was wondering what would be the best way to put them to use? Maybe grind Uldamen or go into a zone and just have them help me do all the quest quickly? I have read Gherkins guide too, just wondering what anyones thoughts were on this.
    A lot of the answers you got aren't exactly on point, but the best way to put your level 80 friends to use is have 1 of them run you through dungeons that are 6-8 levels higher than your own. All the mobs will be red, but not skull. Let them grab everything, quick burn and repeat.
    At level 38, you can do this in ST, Mara, Uldaman.
    You can enter any dungeon that is no more than 9 (maybe 10) levels higher than your own, so have them run you through the highest available at your level.
    You will level fast enough and if one of your friends is a pally or DK, shit will die quickly and in large groups without any worry of dipping below 50% HP.

15+ Year Old Account
    The only reason you would want to run a dungeon with an 80 is because they owe you a favor. It's decent XP, and a great way to cash in / get gear.

However, in the time it takes an 80 to grind you 32-33 in a dungeon + travel time, I could have earned about 80% of that number solo.

R.I.P. YARG

Quote Originally Posted by Rijaha View Post
    i have 4 80s and i have found that if you just go into the LFG and u get a group for an instance and you are able to run several runs with a group your level you will level super fast

Runs from 80s really arnt that good because you get super reduced xp
    Maybe run with one 80.

If they have alts, get them in on runs when the levels align.

I found doing dungeons more fun. I a load of quests in hellfire so I'd replaced most of my gear with outland gear, then did a couple of the one off, kill an elite (get your friends to help) ones in ZM for gear then just ground instances. I hit northrend, quested in tundra till most of my gear was replaced (also nabbed 2 crafteds too), then resumed dungeon grinding.

When you hit a new xpack there is a large leap up in terms of gear, so while the instances are possible without gearing, it's worth hitting some quests up so you don't find instances suddenly getting really hard. Especially as you won't replace all your gear in one instance. For example healing UK the first couple of times was hard work, but when I stopped to level for a couple of hours (also did the pre quests in howling fjord for that instance) it became easy, as I suddenly had 300 more spellpower. Once you've geared past this first instance the rest tend to be easy.

I'd also try to unlock the dungeon pre quests as the dungeons threaten to become available. In outlands, you won't need to do netherstorm dungeons much, but getting the pre quests for achenai, mana tombs, and sethekk are worth it as well as anything below those. These will give you bonus exp, make you quest a little to break grinding, but not too much (as some are at the end of chains) and give you even more guaranteed gear. You really want to have replaced all your gear by the time the second or third dungeon of the xpack opens up to you. In northrend, it's the same again with all the pre quests.

I guess you can ask your friends to help you by telling you what quests need to doing for which pre quests so that you don't have to do every quest ever to find them, or you could just hit up wow wiki and see which quests correspond to each dungeon then do the chains.

Once you have that gear, your gear will replace itself over the following few levels.

Oh yeah and if you can tank or heal, spec it and make sure you have a load of suitable gear, understand it, then do it. At your level it's not hard to find the right gear, just make sure you have a full set that's correctly itemised and within 10 levels and you'll quickly update it through dungeons anyway. Make sure you actually understand what spells/abilities you're supposed to use and whether you spam them (as a tank) or need to use them as needed (as a healer).

For speed being power levelled is probably right, but if you're a new player it stops you learning to play your class, group dynamics and all the other things that can be learnt at 80 but it's easier and less stressful to do it bit by bit, spell by spell rather than suddenly just appearing at 80 and being a n00b.

Also all that said I'm horribly biased as I've quested questing to quest death quest quest quest. I would reccomend doing one dungeon every day though. It'll be stressful and hard but it gets better past about .. well I think the playerbase is dumbest at the begining of each segment of content. (Vanilla/then each xpack, then endgame all being segments. Notice how the dumb DKs have vanished by mana tombs? But they're back for UK)