Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Cataclysm be available for digital upgrade at launch?

Pretty simple. I'm Australian, I don't want to pay jacked up prices publishers charge us over here. And I want to play from 12am, rather then 8-10 hours later. I realize we can pre-download the expansion, but will we be able to upgrade online at release without a physical copy?

You should be able to buy it digitally, chances are you won't be able to unlock the game that way until the release day starts all the way over in California though, so you wouldn't be able to play until the evening of release day.

Deleted
    Starcraft 2 was "locked" for digital purchasers until 10am (local time I think), and I assume the same will be true for Cataclysm, sadly enough.

blizzard has already confirmed the digital download will NOT be available at midnight, you will have to wait some hours before you can purchase the game digitally.

Quote Originally Posted by Nira View Post
    blizzard has already confirmed the digital download will NOT be available at midnight, you will have to wait some hours before you can purchase the game digitally.
    Can you link me the confirmation? I've been following this subject pretty closely and haven't seen anything stating that.

Blizz won't allow people to buy it digitally right at midnight because they want to encourage people to go to a brick and mortar store. Kind of a "you scratch our back, we scratch yours" sort of situation towards the companies that help sell their products.

I'm most likely going to pre-download the client and just go get a key at the store so I can at least skip the install time and be able to just put in the key and be ready to go at 12:01 am

Quote Originally Posted by Nira View Post
    L2 source FFS otherwise your just like the other thousands of people who make up facts on the spot.
    Current main: http://www.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Nordrassil&cn=Thetormented

Quote Originally Posted by Tsudots View Post
    Blizz won't allow people to buy it digitally right at midnight because they want to encourage people to go to a brick and mortar store. Kind of a "you scratch our back, we scratch yours" sort of situation towards the companies that help sell their products.

I'm most likely going to pre-download the client and just go get a key at the store so I can at least skip the install time and be able to just put in the key and be ready to go at 12:01 am
    Blizzard doesn't give a crap about retailers. Heck if you buy it through them, every cent goes straight to activision/blizzard and the retailers get nothing.

sorry, my bad, my confirmation was lacking in hard confirmation. all i am finding in blue posts are speculation, which i interpretted in my mind as fact. my bad. anyways, like every single blue post speculated that it will be the same as starcraft.

edit: but really i coulda sworn i saw them say that it will unlock at 10am, maybe if i alterred my search terms i can find the post i thought i saw.

http://forums.wow-europe.com/thread....207814&sid=1#1

For all you lazy bums.

Literally took 20 seconds to search all forums on worldofwarcraft.com, using that nifty search tool, searching for the key phrase "digital download" and checking the "blizzard poster only" box. It was at the bottom of the first page.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shinra1 View Post
    ...because being black means you can't be racist only prejudice.
    ...black people have no power, privilege they cannot be racist since they were oppressed.
    Did you just compare slavery to the holocaust? Don't compare them. The holocaust lasted 4 years while slavery lasted for well over 200 years at least in the US FYI

If StarCraft II is any indicator you'll be able to download the client beforehand, and the the installer will unlock at 10AM pacific time. So, if you want it right at midnight (or a collector's edition), your best bet is probably a pre-order and midnight release at your local brick and mortar. But, this is all assuming things which we haven't release any information about.

I'd wait for more info... like... a release date.
    source: http://blue.mmo-champion.com/t/26560...ordering-cata/

Quote Originally Posted by Zing View Post
    Blizzard doesn't give a crap about retailers. Heck if you buy it through them, every cent goes straight to activision/blizzard and the retailers get nothing.

True if you buy it through the Blizzard store the retailers don't get a cut but when you go to walmart and pick up a copy I can assure you Walmart didn't pay what you did for it. They're getting plenty of money out of the deal and Walmart returns the favor by way of prominent displays, poster, etc all over the store. Retail has it's own form of politics
    Last edited by Tsudots; 2010-10-08 at 06:12 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jamber View Post
    For all you lazy bums.

Literally took 20 seconds to search all forums on worldofwarcraft.com, using that nifty search tool, searching for the key phrase "digital download" and checking the "blizzard poster only" box. It was at the bottom of the first page.
    That looks a lot like speculation to me.

Agreed those posts pretty much just said what was said earlier that it is being speculated based on SCII's release.
    Resto Druids, the best health care system

Deleted
    If you pre-download it and then buy the key at the store does that mean you are buying the game twice?

Posted by Tsudots
    "I'm most likely going to pre-download the client and just go get a key at the store so I can at least skip the install time and be able to just put in the key and be ready to go at 12:01 am"

I'm not taking a stance on either side of the issue, just sourcing for the lazy bums who don't source and the ones who complain that said poster didn't source, so they won't believe them...THAT'S ALL
    ...because being black means you can't be racist only prejudice.
    ...black people have no power, privilege they cannot be racist since they were oppressed.
    Did you just compare slavery to the holocaust? Don't compare them. The holocaust lasted 4 years while slavery lasted for well over 200 years at least in the US FYI

Starcraft 2 was unlocked for digital buyers at 10am. I guess the same will happen for the ditigal version of Cataclysm.

It would be so nice if people on beta could just use the beta clients since we've already got the game basically installed.
    You face not Malchezaar alone, but the legions he commands.

Quote Originally Posted by BaddyMcBad View Post
    It would be so nice if people on beta could just use the beta clients since we've already got the game basically installed.
    Without knowing anything about it whatsoever, cant u just change the serverlist thing in your config folder?

Quote Originally Posted by Dastey View Post
    Without knowing anything about it whatsoever, cant u just change the serverlist thing in your config folder?
    You've typically been able to but it's not officially supported by Blizzard; if you're unlucky one of the later patches won't work with your beta client and then you'll have to reinstall the entire game.