Thread: Eclipse + dots

Eclipse + dots

I find it annoying when I know my current starfire or wrath will proc an eclipse and I want to cast my relative dots as soon as the cast finishes. Unfortunately the dots do not get the effect of eclipse if fired off right away. Thus I am forced if entering a solar eclipse to cast a wrath first then put up my dots, anyone else annoyed with this?

Deleted
    Just to be clear, you are talking about PTR and Beta, right? Cause, just to clarify, dot's does not gain any effect from eclipse in 3.3.5.

And if we are talking 4.0+, then there really isn't any problem casting your DOTs a second into eclipse. Simply cast your wrath/starfire and then do the DOTs. It might be annoying, but the alternative would be that DOTs change their damage when eclipse activates, which means they would also change their damage when eclipse DEactivates, which would actually reduce the damage of our DOTs.

Sorry for not specifying, but yes, im talking about the ptr/beta. I'm not talkikng about the alternative being the solution. I'm just saying that I see the eclipse buff just before I cast my dots, but they do not get the effect.

Well, this can be annoying, but of sure it's less annoying that casting for a full duration of icd of lunar eclipse spamming starfire looking for a solar eclipse and don t reach it until 12 s are passed (i am sitting around 49,50% crit raidbuffed)
    lvl 85 troll druid - Balance pvp&pve, resto pvp&pve
    lvl 85 troll mage - Frost/Fire
    lvl 80 troll rogue - Ass/Sub
    lvl 80 troll shaman - Ele/resto
    lvl 85 orc hunter - Sv/MM

Live the good side of life, think optimistic, they aren't going to nerf you <xD

Deleted
    It's an unavoidable limitation of the new system unfortunately. As much as it sucks, we're just going to have to deal with it as best we can.

Still, I think the new system is far superior to the old system even with the minor drawbacks we have at the moment.

yes it is much better then the old system, less rng ftw

---------- Post added 2010-10-09 at 06:59 PM ----------

Qieth in your 4.0 moonkin guide you are advocating casting insect swarm before sunfire so it has time to morph when you hit a solar eclipse. but if you cast insect swarm as sunfire is morphing you will not get the eclipse effect on your insect swarm?

Deleted
    Well, you will always have to wait for the eclipse buff to actually pop, but I feel that sometimes it takes a split second longer to have moonfire morph. What I mean is, it seems like its proccing eclipse and then shortly after it morphs moonfire.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Qieth View Post
    Well, you will always have to wait for the eclipse buff to actually pop, but I feel that sometimes it takes a split second longer to have moonfire morph. What I mean is, it seems like its proccing eclipse and then shortly after it morphs moonfire.
    Until they fix Sunfire it's better DPS to hit Moonfire instead of Sunfire anyways. I wish I wasn't a buggy spell.
    Sunfyre | @FoGSunfyre

Deleted
    I am certain that they will do that before 4.0 comes out.

Quote Originally Posted by Sunfyre View Post
    Until they fix Sunfire it's better DPS to hit Moonfire instead of Sunfire anyways. I wish I wasn't a buggy spell.
    that is wrong. when patch hits tuesday sunfires will tick for 5-6ks and insect swarm 4-6k range. when in that state. With buffs and stuff im sure it will be more.

and the way it seeming to work is that u start off with putting IS and MF up then spamming starfire and starsurge until u reach that state where u have sunfire and enhanced IS. Then u put those up and spam wrath until your at about 5 left in that state which i would recommend refreshing sunfire and enhance IS and continue to cast wrath and starsurge until 100 in the other state where starfire becomes ideal and then back around. But thats what i have been testing in the beta. I haven't really payed attention to see if starfall awards any solar or moon eclipse stuff but ill let you know. With this rotation and instant starsurges + mastery i was able to substain 11-14k dps in beta.. but like ive said b4 this is all subject to change.

Quote Originally Posted by Pussnboots View Post
    that is wrong. when patch hits tuesday sunfires will tick for 5-6ks and insect swarm 4-6k range. when in that state. With buffs and stuff im sure it will be more.

and the way it seeming to work is that u start off with putting IS and MF up then spamming starfire and starsurge until u reach that state where u have sunfire and enhanced IS. Then u put those up and spam wrath until your at about 5 left in that state which i would recommend refreshing sunfire and enhance IS and continue to cast wrath and starsurge until 100 in the other state where starfire becomes ideal and then back around. But thats what i have been testing in the beta. I haven't really payed attention to see if starfall awards any solar or moon eclipse stuff but ill let you know. With this rotation and instant starsurges + mastery i was able to substain 11-14k dps in beta.. but like ive said b4 this is all subject to change.
    Who's talking about rotation? [Removed - Qieth]
    Last edited by mmoc1d3ba0029e; 2010-10-10 at 12:28 PM.

15+ Year Old Account

Do you even know what you're talking about?

Refreshing DoTs in the middle of Eclipse is silly, because you're going to clip them anyways.

Furthermore, right now, Sunfire is bugged. It ticks every 3 seconds. That's 6 times over it's 18sec duration. Moonfire ticks 12 times with my haste level. Do I want 6 ticks @ 1.36x damage, or 12 ticks at 1.0x damage? I'll take the 12@1.0. It's pure math.

[Removed - Qieth]
    Last edited by mmoc1d3ba0029e; 2010-10-10 at 12:24 PM.
    Sunfyre | @FoGSunfyre

Deleted

When sunfire is fixed so that it is a mirror of moonfire, you would simply cast your DOTs right after you gain an eclipse (state). But because sunfire is bugged at the moment, it might be more beneficial to cast a moonfire just before eclipse, and then not use sunfire. But I really don't think this will go live - im fairly confident that they will fix sunfire to work as it should.

As for casting your DOTs just before eclipse runs out, this would cause you to clip your previous DOTs, and most likely clip your DOTs again when the next eclipse comes around.