Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst
    here is how it went down in the blizzard offices.

Developers: Okay, so we will open up Race Change about 2 months after the release of the expansion. Sound good? Okay. Now on to the insta--

Mike: Wait that's dumb.

Developers: Why is that dumb? We don't want realm first 85 Worgen on day 1 right?

Mike: Who the hell cares? So many people will be buying Cataclysm because of the new races, and if they can't switch on day 1, that's bad for us.

Developers: So you're saying--

Mike: It's a double whammy. They buy the expansion, plus they race change or faction change. That's like more money for us without any effort!

80 Kingslayer Shadow Priest - Spirestone
    http://www.wowarmory.com/character-s...e&n=Direshadow

You get more money if you keep them playing longer. Letting them skip content for a short term money gain could potentially lead to them playing less time overall due to getting burned out or rushing through the content quicker. That would mean you would have gotten more if you had just forced them to play the slower way through leveling / gearing up, ultimately having them pay for a couple more months worth of regular fees than they might have otherwise.

Quote Originally Posted by Garekh View Post
    You get more money if you keep them playing longer. Letting them skip content for a short term money gain could potentially lead to them playing less time overall due to getting burned out or rushing through the content quicker. That would mean you would have gotten more if you had just forced them to play the slower way through leveling / gearing up, ultimately having them pay for a couple more months worth of regular fees than they might have otherwise.
    I believe this is FFIV philosophy.. and why I also think, the game is gonna tank in less than 6 months.
    btw - Speelling, I R TiReD! no Speel for U!

race change at launch = $25
    race change 2 months later = people not waiting and leveling one instead.

if they have it at launch they get the money from the impatient people. if they wait people are gonna realize they can level an alt to 85 in two months easily and not pay the $25.

seems like a no brainer to me.

We shouldn't be catering to impatient people.

Blizzard shouldn't contribute even further to the degradation of society through giving in to the annoying complainers who need everything, "Now, now, NOW!"

im just refuting the idea that Blizzard would make more money by making people wait. they wont. and people really have no valid argument against them being immediately available anymore since the realm first achievement was set to require the starting quests.

Quote Originally Posted by balgus82 View Post
    im just refuting the idea that Blizzard would make more money by making people wait. they wont. and people really have no valid argument against them being immediately available anymore since the realm first achievement was set to require the starting quests.
    I don't think you can prove they'd make more money that way. There are far too many factors that go into it. Enough so that it's nowhere near a clear choice which would be more profitable.

how would waiting be more profitable?

"oh i got to wait two months to be a worgen so i wont end my subscription yet."

if they're only keeping their subscription to try a new race then they're going to get bored pretty danged fast and end their subscription anyway.
    Last edited by balgus82; 2010-10-09 at 10:00 PM.

how would waiting be more profitable?

"oh i got to wait two months to be a worgen so i wont end my subscription yet."

if they're only keeping their subscription to play try a new race then they're going to get bored pretty danged fast and end their subscription anyway.
    How would allowing them to skip all the lower level content be more profitable?

"oh i finished all the new high level content in less than a month and now i have nothing to do but i won't end my subscription yet."

If they're so impatient that they can't take a couple of weeks to level up, then they're going to get bored pretty danged fast once they do all the high level stuff and end their subscription anyway.

how many people do you know, that have a max level main, but also only have one character? people will want to level the new content AND race change their mains.

make them wait and theyll only have to level.

you seem to be under the impression that people who want to race change their mains ONLY want to play their mains.

and even if the people DO only want to play their mains and dont want to level new alts...how would making them wait bring more profit? it would bring the same $25 no matter when they spent it.
    Last edited by balgus82; 2010-10-09 at 10:09 PM.

how many people do you know, that have a max level main, but also only have one character? people will want to level the new content AND race change their mains.

make them wait and theyll only have to level.
    What does it matter which order they do them in? The majority of the players wanting to faction transfer aren't going to level up a new character of the same class they were planning to transfer. If anything, they'll just keep playing their old one until the transfers open up.

And as you said, people will want to level through the new content regardless. Thus, you have people leveling up through the new content AND race changing anyway. Making the faction changes immediately available wouldn't increase profits in any noticeable way.

15+ Year Old Account
    there was an bluepost quite a long time ago

- worgen and goblins are a feature of cataclysm, thus they are only avaible when cataclysm ships
    - you can't race change any existing character to worgen/goblin right from the start on, it may take a time until this is unlocked. (no specific time announced though. most likely either when the first fresh hit the servers or a fixed amount of time like... let's say 4 weeks.)

and it was EXACTLY THE SAME when blood elves and draenei were available... so why does this thread even exist?

get over it and get used to it. everything else wouldn't make sense... blizzard staff may be stupid some times, but they are not completely daft.

15+ Year Old Account
    We shouldn't be catering to impatient people.

Blizzard shouldn't contribute even further to the degradation of society through giving in to the annoying complainers who need everything, "Now, now, NOW!"
    Exactly. Instant gratification breeds entitlement.

---------- Post added 2010-10-10 at 02:05 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by xebtria View Post
    there was an bluepost quite a long time ago

- worgen and goblins are a feature of cataclysm, thus they are only avaible when cataclysm ships
    - you can't race change any existing character to worgen/goblin right from the start on, it may take a time until this is unlocked. (no specific time announced though. most likely either when the first fresh hit the servers or a fixed amount of time like... let's say 4 weeks.)

and it was EXACTLY THE SAME when blood elves and draenei were available... so why does this thread even exist?

get over it and get used to it. everything else wouldn't make sense... blizzard staff may be stupid some times, but they are not completely daft.
    The Blue post was made 9 months ago by Bornakk, link here. Yes, 9 months is a long time for Blizzard to change its collective mind, but at the same time, no official word has been made since that would indicate a reverse in course on the matter. Using a personal interpretation of a leaked achievement is simply nothing more than grasping at straws.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ulqiorra View Post
    If you equate playing WoW to having electricity, I feel very, very happy for the rest of the world, as that kind of thinking will, inevitably, lead to the eradication of your seed from the gene pool.
    WoW Toons: Duskwind (retired)/Duskrime (retired)
    Diablo 3 Profile