Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Maybe tone it down a bit, give him like 6-8 abilities, but make the abilities choose a random timer from a set of, say, 12-16 different ones. Of course two abilities cannot hsare the same timer, so broken combos of insanity would (propably) not occur. One should also make sure that all those abilities were somehow avoidable. Let's say he'd have abilities like this;

1) Void zone thingy. Move out before it goes of.
    2) Ki blast. A line is drawn one the ground, away from boss, and 5 seconds after he shoots cone (with a really sharp angle so it doesn't spread too much) centered on the line that'll propably one-shot anyone.
    3) Barrage. targets 3 people in 10m, 8 in 25 man with a exploding missile. Lands where they were standing, avoidable. Doesn't one-shot, but does heavy damage so you do not want to get hit more than 1. (and yo cant stay spread because you need to be voiding his other abilities)
    4) Boss does reduced damage (an amount that would make him pack a punch but not one-shot clothies), picks a new target randomly every 3 seconds and has 1000% (you read that right) increased movement speed.
    5) Creates a shield on his other side that reflects spells. His other side will get an electric field that'll heavily damage melee attackers.
    6) Lifts 3 people in to the air, tosees them into the closest wall and flings bombs as in ability 3) at them with his other hand. If the get hit by bombs, they are dead, dead, DEAD. (when he reaches enrage timer, he does this to the entire raid, hitting the wall will stun everyone, 25 bombs into the face, Ib/bubble/DI/whateva can still be used to try those desperate last percentages)
    7) Kicks the tank in the nads with such a force it lifts him in the air, the punches him in the stomach while he's still in the air, smashing him to the wall, and throws a bomb, with triple damage, after him. Does soemthing gimmicky to his aggro, so offtank needs to pick it up.

I'll leave it at this as it'll propably be nicely hectic allready, and i like number 7. Now just make up a bunch of timers, split them to "short timer" and "long timer" groups, and flag some of the abilities to be able to pick from both lists while restricting some of the ebilities to "long timer" list. This way, you won't end up doing tank switch every 5 seconds, for example.

I'd fight this. And I tihnk I would have fun doing it.

Oh, and he HAS TO BE A GNOME.
    Last edited by kivipää; 2010-10-09 at 03:47 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by RockStrongo View Post
    I think a boss like this would be really fun if it wasn't totally up to RNG. Maybe something like giving the boss a set of ten abilities which it will use at specific times during the fight, but the ability it uses will be chosen at random.
    And even then, all the abilities would have to be balanced to eachother, so you will still have to put in similarly the same amount of work to down him.

Again, this is not only done for the bads, it is also done for the hardcore.

Btw, some people in the thread mistake casual for bad, casual people aren't innately bad. :/

Would be fun indeed, bosses are always most fun in the beginning when you don't know what they do "Aha now he cast some disease, try dispel that" etc etc.

sounds idiotic tbh. But wasn't Hexlord Malacrass kind of like that?

I'd like to see a boss like this, but maybe one where part of his mechanic is he throws dice to determine what he does next depending on what number he roles, and a few could even be good for the raid, like he buffs us, or he does damage to himself. Maybe we could even steal the dice from him and use them ourselves with different results.

Defile ontop of the Val'kyr grabbed target says hello! /wrists had that happen 4 times yesterday HEEEEEEHEEEEEEEEEE! >_>
    Oh hi

I would personally enjoy it. It was always kind of fun waiting to see which abilities Chrom had every week, although it made the difficulty of the fight change a lot too. If I was making a boss like this, I would probably make it optional and instead of normal loot it would drop some BoE vanity type items, which you could either use for yourself or sell for profit. That would be pretty cool, but also not going to happen.

This is a horrible idea and you are all horrible people for supporting it.

Yeah.

Quote Originally Posted by Nzo View Post
    Defile ontop of the Val'kyr grabbed target says hello! /wrists had that happen 4 times yesterday HEEEEEEHEEEEEEEEEE! >_>
    doesn't happen

I'd prefer bosses be smarter and less predictable, myself. That doesn't necessarily mean "RNG boss," though.

Quote Originally Posted by Zoomkin View Post
    doesn't happen
    Only can happen if your melee is too slow and drops it where the Val'kyr is. I presume that is what happened.

Quote Originally Posted by kaijyuu View Post
    I'd prefer bosses be smarter and less predictable, myself. That doesn't necessarily mean "RNG boss," though.
    This is what I want, too. I'd enjoy WoW far more if the mobs (and not just bosses) had some AI attached to them rather than being completely scripted. I can enjoy RNG too, but then again, I've never put much stock into the whole "it has to be the same for everyone!" line of thought, no matter the context.

Frankly I think it's stupid that people think bosses need to have 5 million special abilities to be hard. Sindragosa is very simple fight once you get it down but that doesn't mean she's free loot.

I'm sure what your implying. A boss with a fight mechanic which changed, randomly for each encounter, or are you implying a boss with many abilities of which have no cooldown and the boss may chain them or never use them. While 100% RNG will be impossible a better idea along these lines would be to implement a boss where overcoming the fight was dependant on flexibility. Perhaps use different combinations of fight mechanics (AoE damage, adds, debuffs, <insert random gimmick here> ect) I could see this fitting a CoT boss.

Boss casts Darkness of a Thousand Souls(KJ ability)
    Raid leader: Ok guys gather under the shield
    Boss casts Flame Wrath(shade of Aran)
    RL: Ok guys noone moves
    Boss casts Defile
    RL: Oh snap

Edit: Now that i am thinking. Cthuns eye beam would be more hilarious insted of defile.
    RL: oh snap wipe
    Raider#1: Deam i got hit for 100k damage
    Raider#2: Me only 50k nub
    Raider#3: I got hit for 5.2 millions!
    RL: Guys we have a high score!
    Last edited by Weaver; 2010-10-09 at 04:14 PM.
    English is not my native language and i type fast. So bare with my typos, like "jsut".

Quote Originally Posted by Wonderboy View Post
    I'm sure what your implying. A boss with a fight mechanic which changed, randomly for each encounter, or are you implying a boss with many abilities of which have no cooldown and the boss may chain them or never use them. While 100% RNG will be impossible a better idea along these lines would be to implement a boss where overcoming the fight was dependant on flexibility. Perhaps use different combinations of fight mechanics (AoE damage, adds, debuffs, <insert random gimmick here> ect) I could see this fitting a CoT boss.
    I just think the boring stuff with todays content is like "Ah on 80% that happends, prepare.." "Valks incoming, as soon as the third lands start moving to place defile" "Add coming in 5 seconds, tank be ready" etc. etc.

Wouldnt it be more fun just to have the offtank on the edge all the time because adds >MIGHT< come?:P
    Or dpsers always have to worry and look out for stuff because they dont know whats coming and when it comes?
    Rather than, "Goo in 3 seconds - GOO ON ME! - move - win"

Lol, if they can do this, it would be amazing

RNG boss? No way. But a boss who might evolve from week to week? Oh yeah...

[Bigslick]: Ok guys, same thing as last week, just make sure to get in the interrupts and it's e-z-loot.
    [Syco]: Yeah this boss is farm mode now.
    [Imbasally]: Let's just hope for the trinket!
    [Bigslick]: Alright, starting it up.

The ground begins to tremble...

Lord Sta'puft yells, "Arrogant fools! The last 3 weeks were just minor setbacks. I grinded daily and suffered through pugs with idiot mini-bosses -- who don't even know how to put down a good void zone -- to get enough emblems, and have finally upgraded to my 4pc Boss T-11 set! You are NOT prepared!"

[Bigslick]: Syco get those scorches up early. I think we're going to need a bigger stick...

Lethal, Thunderhorn-US
    (US #1 2-night guild WoD)
    Tues/Thurs 7-11pm CT
    EN 7/7 Heroic

Not a good idea. I like to know what the boss is gonna do beforehand. If anything make his loot a 100% drop for everyone in the raid.

Deleted
    To many haters... Why dont you start playing games for the fun like they are ment to be... This is a perfect idea. Give me a raid with 10 RNG bosses and ill instantly return to WoW Live.