Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ...
    Well why does every boss have to have a repeatable strategy in the sense that you go to the exact same locations every time and react in the same way at the same times every time you do the fight? Total RNG would just mean every raider would have to actually pay attention to what's going on when and react to it. It would guarantee every raider understands what's going on and is active instead of having one raid leader tell everyone exactly what to do. Yes it would require some skill from everyone but why is that so taboo?

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    Sudo, imagine this:

Hey look, let's give a boss that has a random enrage timer, spawns 6 different variation of adds that range from 1 to 5, requires 2-4 tanks due to saber lash if it's even on. Oh, and let's make him have a dispel that randomly targets classes, and has a class call.

Now, let's put ALL of those abilities on a random timer. First pull, the boss enrages instantly, you all die. Next pull, he spawns 30 adds immediately, than enrages 20 seconds later. Again, you die. The list continues.

There is no "fun" in that. There is no "skill" in that. It's all LUCK. LUCK is not fun for raiding, ever. Why do you think people loved the toc model for loot and hate the other ones?

OH, I forgot to add. Since this boss would be 100% random, that means he could have 0 hp, or 100 trillion every pull. That sure sounds like FUN, RIGHT?
    Last edited by MAGAmobile; 2010-10-17 at 12:28 AM.

RNG is my least favorite thing out of all things invented, ever.

But it adds spice.

That said, I think this would be fun, as long as it was a parody of itself. Like, if the boss yelled forum flamer QQ quotes at you when you died. And if you could just rez right outside the boss' lair and just throw yourself at him continuously.

Which brings us to our next idea: Make him an outdoor raid boss! Then you can add the RNG factor of The Other Faction Doesn't Like You.

I disagree with anyone saying this guy should drop any functionally superior gear. But maybe raidwide monkeyballs would be cool.

Well with a random timer like that making him randomly automatically kill everyone would make no sense. Now if by enrage you mean similar to LK's then that would mean you need a hunter ready to tranq shot, again it takes skill and some preparation.

The boss might have a timer and every 30 seconds or so he does one of a list of random abilities. Raid leader watches dbm timer of 30 seconds and calls out, alright everyone get ready. The RNG comes up with an add spawn from the back of the room. Raid leader calls out for them to be picked up. Another 30 seconds pass and he starts casting defile. Raid is ready because they were ready for a random cast and spread out.

As I said in an earlier post it would most definitely be either great fun or a huge failure depending on it's application but there is potential for a completely random boss as a hard mode type encounter or an optional boss. Or even if it wasn't every 30 seconds people would just really have to watch what's going on. It maybe some luck but at the same time not impossible if done right. Like a CD on his abilities or something.
    Last edited by sudowoodo; 2010-10-17 at 12:34 AM.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    I'm going with what the OP said, which is pure 100% RNG. Small bits and portions are nice because you can outperform them, I agree with that. But having a pure rng boss is not fun in any way.

Fair enough, very interesting idea though. Props to OP .