Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Question The governments of each faction in cataclsym

After watching some beta vids of new Orgrimmar, I noticed that horde banners are placed on nearly every building in the city. This got me to thinking what type of IRL governments each faction represents in a real-world style. Seeing how horde banners are every, I'm starting to think that the horde would be most like a Fascists, absolute loyalty to the state type government. The alliance I really haven't thought about.

What do you all think?

Unlike the Horde, the Alliance can't be all classified under one form of government since they're just a group of races working together. I honestly don't know enough to classify all of them but I do know the specifics:

Stormwind: Ruled by a line of kings. (The house of Wrynn) but they don't have absolute power. Since we know of a "House of Nobles" as well its likely the balance of power in Stormwind is divided up between all these "House" factions, however many there are.

Darnassus: Almost completely dominant rule by a Priestess chosen by Elune. The only significant other appears to be the current Archdruid.

Ironforge: Rules by a line of Kings once again. (Bronzebeard) This time however there do not appear to be any extra factors.

Gilneas: We really don't know much but it currently appears similiar to Ironforge and Stormwind.

Gnomeragon: Democracy, they elect all their high officials.

Exodar: Led by their prophet (assumedly alone?)

Deleted
    Idunno you can call every country waving their flags with pride fascism, but then again, the orcish horde does also help out others instead of killing them.

The Horde are more of a Confederacy then anything else. While they do have an official leader who is both the commander of the military and head of state, the individual members are generally free to make choices as they see fit. In addition it does not appear that Garrosh has the authority to remove another member race's leader from power, even in cases of blatant disobedience.

The overall Horde military is another matter, but the fact is only a small fraction of non-Orcs are members of the main military. The Forsaken and Tauren in particular command substantial armies that appear to function largely autonomously from Garrosh's direct command. He might of commanded the attack on Gilneas for example, but tactical decisions can be made independent of or even against his recommendations without fear of retribution.

The Alliance is more of a military Alliance. Like the Horde, they have a main military with a single commander. However political or domestic decisions are made %100 by the individual members. In addition each member also has their own military that functions autonomously from the main Alliance military.
    Last edited by Falrinn; 2010-10-09 at 05:07 PM.
    Roleplaying, hardcore Raiding, running LFR on the occasional weekend, PvPing, rolling alts, achievement hunting, pet battling, or just enacting an endless series of whims, I don't care how you play WoW. Just as long as you have fun doing it.

Lyvefire's analysis of the Alliance governments is pretty accurate. As far as the Horde goes, I think it's rather like this:

1) The Forsaken - a cult of personality built around the Dark Lady Sylvanas. The Horde's undead are totally beholden to her.
    2) The trolls are basically a tribe, complete with elders and that kind of thing.
    3) The blood elves are essentially a scavenger civilization right now; much of their cultural heritage and leadership have been lost in the last decade, and their government is very much in flux. I guess Dath'remar is leading them, but 'leading' in this case is a very loose term.
    4) The Orcs are very much a dictatorship, with orders coming down from the Warchief.
    Dranei Ultra-Nationalist and Mac'Aree Patriot

Deleted
    Theres also suspicious similarity between Nazies and the Horde. Horde's proud members can't seem to resist praising their faction when its mentioned somewhere. "For the Horde" and "Heil Hitler", hardcore Horde players are like nazies, they always praise their perfect faction when they see "Horde badassery" and mock the Alliance (Jews) when ever possible. Now Garrosh being the warchief (who thinks orcs and taurens are the only "strong" race) only makes it obvious

Those Horde players who don't praise their perfect faction are labelled as "an Alliance re-roller noob".

/tinfoilhat

Banned.
    Last edited by Sunshine; 2010-10-09 at 09:47 PM.

Godwinned in six posts.
    Dranei Ultra-Nationalist and Mac'Aree Patriot

10+ Year Old Account
    The Horde can't exactly be generalized like that either, it might be a dictatorship in that the Warchief has -complete- dominion over every member race, but each of them have a different way of governing their own people.

The Forsaken have a somewhat twisted monarchy, Blood Elves have a shadowy ruling council and a Regent Lord in the place of a King, Trolls are more tribal, and Tauren evidently use a Chieftan system.

I'm not exactly sure what being the Goblin "Trade Prince" entails, though I'm assuming it's just being leader of that particular cartel.

10+ Year Old Account
    All the races of the Horde recognize the Warchief as their leader and they follow his orders without refuse.
    Unlike the Horde ,the Alliance they're just a group of races working together ( as Lyvenfire said ) and follow their own leaders .BUT King Varian Wrynn commands the entire Alliance army.
    Last edited by Graden; 2010-10-09 at 05:12 PM.

I always thought the Varian sounded like a dumbass saying "honor your king and your people" in (Horde) ToC, because he's talking to a bunch of night elves, dranei, etc. He ain't their king.

The government styles in WoW are:
    Alliance:
    -Gnomergan is Democracy.
    -Darnassus is Elected Council(2 Leaders-Malfurion and Tyrande).
    -Exodar is Theocracy(Based on religion-led by 1 prophet/high priest).
    -Ironforge and Stormwind are Hereditary monarchy under Senatorial supervision(Line of kings supervised by a senate-like council)(the senotarial councils are House of Nobles in Stormwind and Ironforge Senate in Ironforge).
    -Gilneas is Hereditary monarchy.
    *Ironforge will change to Council in Cataclysm,and the council will not be supervised by the Ironforge Senate.
    Horde:
    -Silvermoon is Hereditary monarchy(Although the throne is vacant-a regent is used to fill the throne).
    -Bilgewater is Democracy,but after Gallywix rose to the position of Trade Prince he turned it into a totalitarian government.
    -Undercity is Monarchy.
    -Thunder Bluff is Spiritual hierarchy(Spiritual line of chieftains).
    -Orgrimmar and Darkspear is Tribal chiefdom(Anyone can take the position by challenging the current warchief/chief to a duel).
    Everything that is,is alive

-This Signature was made by Geekissexy,The Signature Master.

Quote Originally Posted by sl2059 View Post
    The government styles in WoW are:
    Alliance:
    -Gnomergan is Democracy.
    -Darnassus is Elected Council(2 Leaders-Malfurion and Tyrande).
    -Exodar is Theocracy(Based on religion-led by 1 prophet/high priest).
    -Ironforge and Stormwind are Hereditary monarchy under Senatorial supervision(Line of kings supervised by a senate-like council)(the senotarial councils are House of Nobles in Stormwind and Ironforge Senate in Ironforge).
    -Gilneas is Hereditary monarchy.
    *Ironforge will change to Council in Cataclysm,and the council will not be supervised by the Ironforge Senate.
    Horde:
    -Silvermoon is Hereditary monarchy(Although the throne is vacant-a regent is used to fill the throne).
    -Bilgewater is Democracy,but after Gallywix rose to the position of Trade Prince he turned it into a totalitarian government.
    -Undercity is Monarchy.
    -Thunder Bluff is Spiritual hierarchy(Spiritual line of chieftains).
    -Orgrimmar and Darkspear is Tribal chiefdom(Anyone can take the position by challenging the current warchief/chief to a duel).
    Hit the nail on the head. You've got one thing off though, Bilgewater isn't run as a government, it's run as a company, so trying to categorize it as a government just doesn't work. By that token, we could call most companies that aren't ruled by stockholders to be totalitarian regimes. :P

Additionally, Loredearon was a hereditary monarchy.

10+ Year Old Account
    its really had to explain with out ausing faction hatred but

gnomes/goblins have a democracy based on whos the best (i forget the specific name)

gilneas is an absolute monarchy, genn has all the power

stormwind is the typical monarchy. varian ahs most power but its shared with the house of nobles

ironfroge is a constitutional monarchy, magni is king but there is also a senate

darnassus/exodar is a therocracy. the relgious leaders lead the ppl

org even under thrall is a dictatorship. its a cheiften system. the warcheif has absolute power. all answer to thrall (now garrosh)

the trolls have a simular system to the orcs but it also has elements of theocracy. voodoooooo

taruens have what is a dictaorship and federation. there gov is all the tauren tribes put together, however we dont see much reference to the rest of the tauren cheiftens other than magatha. and carnie (soon to be baine) is the absolute leader.

silvermoon is a monarchy. some elements like sw share power with the kings

under city. as absolute as gilneans maybe even more so with the recent mind control

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Kitingisfun View Post
    Theres also suspicious similarity between Nazies and the Horde. Horde's proud members can't seem to resist praising their faction when its mentioned somewhere. "For the Horde" and "Heil Hitler", hardcore Horde players are like nazies, they always praise their perfect faction when they see "Horde badassery" and mock the Alliance (Jews) when ever possible. Now Garrosh being the warchief (who thinks orcs and taurens are the only "strong" race) only makes it obvious

Those Horde players who don't praise their perfect faction are labelled as "an Alliance re-roller noob".

/tinfoilhat

Godwin, just like Murphy, didn't went to class too often.

Bloodsail Admiral
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by sl2059 View Post
    Maybe once, but it certainly isn't the case anymore.

10+ Year Old Account
    Gnomeregan: Democracy, they elect all their high officials.
    Its more a meritocracy (I think this is the term) they choose the brightest among them to rule for a set term.
    "Laws should be made of iron, not of pudding."

“A good act does not wash out the bad, nor a bad act the good. Each should have its own reward.”

- King Stannis Baratheon

Forsaken: Dictatorship

Troll: Inherited leadership postion

Orcs: Dictatorship

Tauren: Same as Troll

Blood Elves: It may still be a Monarchy that just needs to reappoint a royal line.

Goblins: Dictatorship

Humans: A Monarchy with a Parliament-like system (Nobles of Stormwind)

Night Elves: Theocracy

Dwarves: Ruling council

Gnomes: Democracy

Draenei: Theocracy

Worgen: Monarchy
    He's climbin' in your Deepholme
    Burnin' yo people up
    Tryin to kill em' so you need to hide yo kids hide yo wife
    Cause he burnin' erbody out there

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Zaelsino View Post
    The Horde can't exactly be generalized like that either, it might be a dictatorship in that the Warchief has -complete- dominion over every member race, but each of them have a different way of governing their own people.

The Forsaken have a somewhat twisted monarchy, Blood Elves have a shadowy ruling council and a Regent Lord in the place of a King, Trolls are more tribal, and Tauren evidently use a Chieftan system.

I'm not exactly sure what being the Goblin "Trade Prince" entails, though I'm assuming it's just being leader of that particular cartel.
    I think the trade princes are elected, and are basically CEO's of the cartels

Quote Originally Posted by Willeonge View Post
    Its more a meritocracy (I think this is the term) they choose the brightest among them to rule for a set term.
    LOL!

thought you were talking about Varian and almost spit my coffee
    "lol uh oh , spelling correction, the sure sign someone is losing an argument "

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by DreamOfTheRood View Post
    Godwinned in six posts.
    ¬_¬
    it was in the first post :P

but yes, it's getting harder and harder not to see the horde as nazis, their banners are red and black and hung on everything
    their existance and politics are based around war
    the forsaken have an aryan race (well, aryan state-of-mortality) thing going on... (so do orcs technically with "uncorrupted" orcs, but they never really seem to care, as long as you can punt a gnome, you're ok :P)
    it seems that the horde is becoming more and more of an allegory for the nazis... which raises unfortunate implications for roleplayers :P (Do I want to play a nazi for the sake of being a race I like for their history, personallity and looks?)