Page 1 of 3
LastLast

Resto shamans in beta, DPS to heal?

Hi. I am not in beta nor am i on the PTR.

But i've heard rumors that we'll have to mix our healing spells with offensive abilities (shocks) in order to heal efficiently. Is this correct?
    In that case, what on earth is the point? If i wanted to DPS i had rolled a DPS class.

Brewmaster
    15+ Year Old Account
    You heard wrong.

There is no point.

There is also no need for me to elaborate, there are tons of information regarding Resto and offensive spells on our forum. I suggest you read them.

If i heard wrong, could someone please enlighten me on what the new resto talent "Focus Insight" is used for.

Thanks.

It's an option. For people who like to do something during healing downtime.

Deleted
    I think Focus Insight is for PvP, I could be wrong though, but using that GCD you could out heal the 30% buff on the next heal that Focus Insight would give making it not as good in PvE but throwing a Frost Shock then a buffed up Heal in PvP is good.

both focused insight and telluric currents are useful but optional. if you don't like to dps don't. I'll be taking both at least.

Pomm, if you're in a situation in which you have to spamheal, i believe what you say is true.
    But, according to Blizz, you won't be forced to spamheal that much in Cata (in comparison to wotlk)
    So, wouldn't you have a LOT of time to cast shocks first and then do a way more powerful heal?

I'm just kind of worried it'll be forced upon us.

this is blizzards excuse to keep shamans down, because restos can use dmg spells to buff their healing somewhat. that's what people call hybrid. and because hybrids have to be worse than non-hybrids, shamans are denied to top meters for the whole expansion.
    the most useless invention in history? A Graveyard wall!
    no one on the inside is able to walk out and
    no one on the outside wants to get in willingly

Deleted
    Also, seeing how shocks are on a 6 second CD the extra 30% would average out to be 5% of the extra heal over the course of the 6 seconds, and thats also providing we don't miss. Also raid bosses needing a higher amount of hit points to be hit makes the talent sort of obsolete throughout PvE, and I don't see anyone converting there spirit/haste/crit into a decent amount of hit just for the extra 30% where you probably lose just as much from swapping all the haste/crit into hit.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Cadamon View Post
    this is blizzards excuse to keep shamans down, because restos can use dmg spells to buff their healing somewhat. that's what people call hybrid. and because hybrids have to be worse than non-hybrids, shamans are denied to top meters for the whole expansion.
    Aren't all healers hybrids?

I have heard that using LB during downtime is a great way to keep mana up.

Quote Originally Posted by Pomm View Post
    Also, seeing how shocks are on a 6 second CD the extra 30% would average out to be 5% of the extra heal over the course of the 6 seconds, and thats also providing we don't miss. Also raid bosses needing a higher amount of hit points to be hit makes the talent sort of obsolete throughout PvE, and I don't see anyone converting there spirit/haste/crit into a decent amount of hit just for the extra 30% where you probably lose just as much from swapping all the haste/crit into hit.
    That's misleading. Bosses will not require a HIGHER amount of hit, the percentages will stay the same (17%). Yes, the amount needed to hit 17% is higher, but there will be as much hit on 85 gear as there is now (percentage wise, not rating wise).

Hit would only be needed for tc. Focused insight only requires casting the shock, not hitting the target.

So it WILL be forced upon us. Great.

Maybe it's time to reroll.

Quote Originally Posted by Sismofytten View Post
    So it WILL be forced upon us. Great.

Maybe it's time to reroll.
    Yes, completely.

Now - would you like to reroll to priests encouraged to smite spam to heal more, druids to wrath spam to heal more, or paladins to spam seals/ holy shock/ judgements to heal more?

There might also be the option of having a healing tree just with a capability to kill things for dailies, do something if bored in five mans and to fend for themselves in pvp you know.

High Overlord
    15+ Year Old Account
    I healed Heroics in Beta and yes, I did cast Flame Shock everytime was out of CD http://cata.wowhead.com/spell=77796
    Mana saved a lot and more heals on targets, I didn't use at all http://cata.wowhead.com/spell=82988 nor had points on it.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by emidas View Post
    That's misleading. Bosses will not require a HIGHER amount of hit, the percentages will stay the same (17%). Yes, the amount needed to hit 17% is higher, but there will be as much hit on 85 gear as there is now (percentage wise, not rating wise).
    Nope, it's not.
    They are gonna make higher tier raid bosses scale with the availability of higher iLevel items... lemme look up the blue...

Edit:
    Here you go, read the blue post Emidas.
    http://blue.mmo-champion.com/t/26850...-in-raid-tiers
    Last edited by mmoc02e1f68496; 2010-10-10 at 09:33 AM.

So much misinformation in this topic.

I'm going to spell it out real simple since you seem to have an over the top reaction to even the simplest comments.

Focused Insight and Telluric Currents are OPTIONAL TALENTS. Ok, got that? No need to start QQing over rerolling.

Even if they weren't optional (which they are), ALL of the healing trees now has at least one DPS talent. It's like how Paladins on live judge targets for their 15% haste buff, although less mandatory than that.

They are talents that are useful for:

1. Soloing
    2. PVP
    3. Dungeons/Heroics which you overgear and don't have a lot of healing to do
    4. D/H/Raids which you don't overgear, but can spare a few seconds without needing to heal.

Remember that the new style of healing ISN'T spam spam spam, there will be times when you're able to cast a Lightning Bolt, or hit a shock. If you're in a fight where you've got downtime like this in WotLK (although it's not always often) then most people tend to cast something anyway (at least I do, since if there's no healing danger I might as well DPS), just this time it will buff your next heal.

As for Telluric Currents, ok it will need to hit to do damage, but you have an 83% chance to hit (84% if you're a draenei) - although the scaling will change on different bosses, afaik the percentage chance will remain the same, just the hit rating needed to achieve that percentage will change, although I could be wrong there! Regardless, you're going to hit more often than not, and Telluric Current IS NOT a desperate last minute attempt to get back some mana - that's what Mana Tide and potions are for. If you haven't got the mana to spare then don't cast the Lightning Bolt. But if you've got a bit of mana, and a few seconds to cast, then by all means.

However, if none of this appeals to you, then don't take those talents. It's only 5 points, and there's plenty of other utility talents you can pick up instead.

Think a bit about:

Focused Insight = PvP
    Telluric Currents = PvE

Ofc, Focused Insight will be useful on PvE, but not as much as at PvP. Currently, I throw some Frost Shocks on a macro to target focus. Slowing enemies, making killing easier for my mates while also increasing my healing. That's just AWESOME.

When healing isn't really a urgency, sometimes I change to Frostband Weapon (hope it will also increase spell power someday ) and Unleash it and try helping with Lightning Bolt. But, unfortunally its not worth while for me yet... Lightning Bolt costs 1401 mana and brings me back 1500~1600 (on PvP premade gear).

(Talking about BGs aspect)

Quote Originally Posted by emilem View Post
    Nope, it's not.
    They are gonna make higher tier raid bosses scale with the availability of higher iLevel items... lemme look up the blue...

Edit:
    Here you go, read the blue post Emidas.
    http://blue.mmo-champion.com/t/26850...-in-raid-tiers
    I should've clarified better. I meant for the first tier of raiding. I thought you were implying that this expansion would start at a higher percentage than we have to attain currently. My mistake.

WOTLK was rly boring for healers. I was already doing some dps on downtimes without these talents. With the Elemental 264 totem, I was keeping Flame Shock up on boss fights to get my haste.

To the OP. If you don't want to DPS, don't. But in WOTLK, I was getting bored of healing even before reaching 80 because how easy/boring healing was. Now if you liked to brainlessly heal you tank/group with a single spell without bringing anything else to the group, I am sorry, but you will find it difficult in Cata. And you might want to reroll anyway because Healer will have a role now.