Poll: At what level do you think people learn their class?

10+ Year Old Account

At what level do you think...?

Hi, first of all to start of, i have 4 level 80's that I leveled through a combination of questing and dungeons but now with the LFD I am leveling my Paladin from 15-60 just using dungeons and dungeon quests.

And I've seen quite a few people who were erm... misguided about their class, and often I lent a hand by saying "spell power would help you quest easier" or "try and look for gear with of the eagle (to a boomkin wearing feral gear).

So I wondered what your opinions were as to when you think most new players to wow, start to get the hang of their class?

Edit: You can't edit polls so there is no never option.
    Last edited by Terranullis; 2010-10-10 at 02:47 AM. Reason: I cant spell

10+ Year Old Account
    nobody is going to vote 1-10 so you should really just replace that option with "never", because that'd be a popular one.

10+ Year Old Account
    Can't edit polls i dont think :S

10+ Year Old Account
    Get the hang of your class as sson as you start, the faster you get used to your class the faster levelling will be.

By lvl 60 you should know the basics of whatever role you will be performing at max level. By level 80 you should already had mastered the basic rotations of your class/roll.

Sadly I'd say level 80. Most people just power through the leveling process as fast as they possibly can to get to end game and then expect to just learn their class while they are raiding for the first time. Its a shame but I see it a lot.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nesingwary-Eliada View Post
    Sadly I'd say level 80. Most people just power through the leveling process as fast as they possibly can to get to end game and then expect to just learn their class while they are raiding for the first time. Its a shame but I see it a lot.
    I think RaF did some damage there.

Once you get your core talents/spells. But still i see locks not using Shadow Ward when they can, Or teleport at right times
    Never see a Paladin use Glyphed Salv cuz hey you never lose aggro anyway. Or use sac/div sac when you have to use CD's anyway.
    Alot of ppl know their rotation and know what to do but know their class? thats not alot of ppl tbh. Hopefully cata will change this and let ppl go with less tight rotations and more fun/helpfull spells so we have to relearn our classes totally.

Its really hard to blame people for not knowing there class when everything is easymode. Not to mention people are carried through heroics doing nothing but pushing that one AoE button. I've done randoms with people sometimes that have nothing on the damage meter, even on bosses but the one AoE spell/ability they have.

But can they really be blamed? I mean blizzard is the one that made heroics stupidly easy where you just brainfart your way through hitting volley or fan of knives or whatever else you have. And people are complaining that they're gonna have to start using CC's rather than just AoEing everything down. Frankly I think its stupid that we AoE everything down. Sure it makes the grind easier, but its not fun at all. Not even remotely. I mean I remember when I could rarely use an AoE so I have to admit its kind of nice to be able to use them, but it would be nice if I had to actually think about it.

Not everyone thinks they need to take initiative to better learn their class if all they know is, "More than one mob? AoE!" Its not really hard to teach this game to people but they need to have a reason too, and if all heroics are is AoE, then why should they bother learning when to CC or what even their other ability's do.

Edit: Though I never used the beginner tooltip, but it would be nice if it maybe gave examples of how or when to use a certain spell as you get it. Rather than, ok this turns something into a sheep, but it heals em, so why would I want that? I'll leave it off my hotbar.

Quote Originally Posted by Terranullis View Post
    I think RaF did some damage there.
    Well it certainly didn't help but it wasn't the problem. Since as long as I can remember people have always wanted to just get to end game because they are under the impression that is when the "real" game begins. But more often the not once they get there their gear is wonky, their talents are all over the place, they sometimes aren't even fully trained, and they are often not even 100% positive about what their abilities even do or are unaware they aren't using something they need to be using.

Good times!

I guess the best answer is when you stop leveling, and you start playing with the rotation you have. I learned to play my Hunter at 60, I learned my Shaman at 70, my DK/rogue/druid at 80. The thing is, it's very hard to "learn" your class to make it competitive for raids while leveling. Simply because they are both very different play styles. But in another hand, leveling by farming mobs at your current level while questing is still knowing how to play your class. When you start playing so well when leveling that you never die/have to stop between fights because you manage your mana or optimize your health regen, that's when you "learned" your class as a leveler. As for a raid experience, you need more than a level, but a certain time to play with your new spell/gear combinations/talents while being in a whole new environment to start learning.

Field Marshal
    10+ Year Old Account
    Leveling is supposed to be you learning how to effectively use your class's abilities, but I think that brand new players to MMOs need to have someone there to give them tips, because they aren't likely to learn everything on their own. The biggest jumps in skill you can make are using all keybindings instead of clicking and using the mouse to turn instead of the keyboard. I remember that when I started using more keybindings I noticed I started getting compliments on my play in groups, which eventually led to me getting recruited by the #2 guild on my server at the time. It's just sad that Blizzard doesn't encourage grouping more. There should be massive exp bonuses for being grouped so that new players can get some group experience and have their play critiqued at the same time.

10+ Year Old Account
    60-70 is when I would say people are figuring it out, you are getting the bulk of your principle abilities in this span and integrating them into what you had been doing prior

it can depend on the class though, whether your 31st, 41st, or 51st talent point is more important, because you can be learning your class all along, but until you have all your abilities you aren't getting the complete picture

where's the choice for never?

I learned mine at 60-70 back in BC, but most don't learn it until the max level, and even then some still don't learn it at all.

Infractions: 2

I think you should or are suppose learn your class around lvls 10-20, but i still see terrible 80s all the time. My question is how the got to 80 in the first place if their that bad.