Deleted

Frost mage PvP tactics?

Hi, I'm a level 76 frost mage who has quite a problem in PvP. The only way for me to win is when people are not targeting me. When I am targeted I can take a little but then I'm dead. I'm actually quite new to PvP in general, so I don't know much of the enemy classes tactics either. What I usually start off with is polymorph, and when they trinket I frost nova. Then I spam frostbolt til I see that the frost nova has broken, then I start casting Ice Lance. But what to do after that to a) burst them down as quickly as possible and b) remain intact this whole time?

15+ Year Old Account
    There's a Frost Mage PvP Guide stickied at the top of the forums.
    BfA Beta Time

Quote Originally Posted by Swizzle View Post
    There's a Frost Mage PvP Guide stickied at the top of the forums.
    Which is out of date.

Also, OP, just open with frostbolt to get a snare right away. If they start to get close, CoC, and keep strafing away with a few ice lances, and maybe 1-2 more frostbolts. When they really get on you, nova, strafe away, and keep Frostbolting their faces off.

The way you kite each class is different. If you could give me some more specific examples on when you end up dieing, what moves you have trouble countering etc, I could maybe give you better advice.
    Last edited by Xiun; 2010-10-10 at 04:02 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Xiun View Post
    Which is out of date.

Also, OP, just open with frostbolt to get a snare right away. If they start to get close, CoC, and keep strafing away with a few ice lances, and maybe 1-2 more frostbolts. When they really get on you, nova, strafe away, and keep Frostbolting their faces off.

The way you kite each class is different. If you could give me some more specific examples on when you end up dieing, what moves you have trouble countering etc, I could maybe give you better advice.
    I do really hate paladins, that's for sure, they keep breaking my polys and ice with their bloody bubbles.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tomatketchup View Post
    I do really hate paladins, that's for sure, they keep breaking my polys and ice with their bloody bubbles.
    If a paladin wastes bubble to break out of sheep, then you have a free win on your hands.
    BfA Beta Time

Unless it's holy, a paladin should be the easiest kill you pull of.

If they bubble, just run, invis, evocate etc.

To really take one down, stick a sheep, spell steal everything off them, R1 frostbolt, re-sheep, then regular frostbolt spam. When they pop freedom, spell steal it again and re apply your slow. Don't use DF before a freedom. Trinket repentance, or if you're geared enough, just let them break it. Blink HoJ.

Easy easy =]

Edit:

Quote Originally Posted by Swizzle View Post
    If a paladin wastes bubble to break out of sheep, then you have a free win on your hands.
    ^^^

Deleted
    I also have a problem with rogues one-shotting me. I blink and use trinket but they always manage to poison and backstab me like shizzle, and if I use frost nova they trinket and destroy me. Deep Freeze and I'm pretty good, however, my damage isnt enough to kill them off.

Jump, spam Ice Lance. It's what all pro-mages do(in duels).

Deleted
    I also have a problem with rogues one-shotting me. I blink and use trinket but they always manage to poison and backstab me like shizzle, and if I use frost nova they trinket and destroy me. Deep Freeze and I'm pretty good, however, my damage isnt enough to kill them off.
    are you using the shatter combo?

Armory link?

Use barrier/mana sheild for opener. Sit in the cheap shot/garrote, pop nova on them. Summon elemental, and get DF off. Sheep, if they trinket sheep and vanish, use pet's nova to bring them out and sheep again. If they sit in the sheep, apply FFB so they can't vanish and need to use CloS. When they do clos, either run away, or ice block it. Blink kidney shot, try and keep up FFB dot so they can't vanish. Use CoC to your advantage.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Xiun View Post
    Armory link?

Use barrier/mana sheild for opener. Sit in the cheap shot/garrote, pop nova on them. Summon elemental, and get DF off. Sheep, if they trinket sheep and vanish, use pet's nova to bring them out and sheep again. If they sit in the sheep, apply FFB so they can't vanish and need to use CloS. When they do clos, either run away, or ice block it. Blink kidney shot, try and keep up FFB dot so they can't vanish. Use CoC to your advantage.
    Armory: http://eu.wowarmory.com/character-sh...nor&cn=Aerocus

I use permanent water elemental. I know I shouldnt for PvP, but the pet is the whole reason why I went frost and not fire.

Armory: http://eu.wowarmory.com/character-sh...nor&cn=Aerocus

I use permanent water elemental. I know I shouldnt for PvP, but the pet is the whole reason why I went frost and not fire.
    Yeah, glyph is an absolute no no, but on tuesday it won't matter because the elemental will be permanent with the spec.

Your spec is also a bit messed up. standard spec is 20/0/51, and you have 67 in your frost tree.

I could link you a good frost spec, the way to gear etc, but it will all mean nothing in 2 days.

All I can help with is HOW you kill something (and that will probably change a bit too).

15+ Year Old Account
    You're level 76 with no resilience...of course melee are trucking you. Game isn't balanced around anything pre max level.
    BfA Beta Time

A great tool you need to learn to master is the shatter combo, freezing someone in place with your Water Elemental, frost nova, or your ice barrier talent, once they're rooted charge up a frostbolt and as soon as the frostbolt is done casting hit Ice Lance, and you should get a double crit. Also try to Deep Freeze them whenever you can, and then follow with a shatter.

Frostbolt, sheep something, move away, continue to frostbolt.

Run across WSG like your gonna kick ass, get 3-4 living bombs put on you...RUN....die.....go re-specc to this http://wowtal.com/#k=Serxydl.a5o.mage. *profit*

Quote Originally Posted by Razorlor View Post
    Frostbolt, sheep something, move away, continue to frostbolt.
    This. Deep Freeze if things get tough.
    Easier than Ele Shamans in PvP tbh.
    Hi

Quote Originally Posted by Nest View Post
    This. Deep Freeze if things get tough.
    Easier than Ele Shamans in PvP tbh.
    You are terribly mistaken.

Maybe playing a mage badly is easier than an ele shaman....

Also, DF should be used for a get away, interrupt, or burst situation.