Leveling Post 4.0 -- Using Heirlooms or Not?

Today, while looking in my too stuffed, packrat-extreme guild bank for my bank toon, I decided that I would forgo using heirlooms in Cataclysm for the alt Worgen Druid I am leveling. This is my third druid (shhh), and after playing in Vanilla, playing in BC, playing in Wrath, playing with heirlooms, and experiencing the leveling process with and without, I wanted to make this Cataclysm toon interesting. Seeing as I already have two other druids, this toon is just for fun, to see all the changes, read the new lore, with the eventual goal to hit 75 and be a tailoring Dreamcloth producer.

As such, I want to take it slow, and what better way to make it slower than take off the heirlooms. Perhaps the Devout Aurastone Hammer could stay. BUT, I have several nice, epic maces in my bank that have been rotting for...no purpose. I'm sure I bought them for 100g here and there to one day "give them to an alt" but druid # 2 ended up using heirlooms. Hmm.

So, what do you think. In an effort to help yourself enjoy the leveling process, would you take off your heirlooms? Heirlooms feel like an easy button to me. They speed the leveling process up SO much that half the time you leave a zone with barely 1/3 of the quests finished. With all the new quests from 1-60, I don't want this to happen, but I don't want to be the person that is WAY too high for the zone running around and killing all the quest mobs.

Hmms. This would also help clean out my bank, and let me level in style =)

P.S. I might use heirloom shoulders just because they're pretty. Yep, I stare at the screen for an extended length of time, it needs to look good.

Deleted
    I'm going old school die hard styl, no heirlooms just dungeon and quest loot!

10+ Year Old Account
    I would say go commando so to speak then! If you truly enjoy the lore and reading the quests and all, no need in rushing through the new stuff that is being made. I would say consider the trinkets at least in the beginning, just to make it a little smoother

Deleted
    leveling a full heirloom toon is really sad, did it 5 times and i miss that feeling of joy when you get a new weapon/armor upgrade.

Of course the pre-bc items are really poor compared to what you get in quests/dungeons in tbc & wolk, but i guess that it will change in cata with all the updates they made ^^

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    Prolly after I get my lock to 85 I'm going to level a rogue w/ all heirlooms and RAF to get him to 85 asap cuz I really want a rogue to pvp with. But after he's 80 I might slowly level a priest w/o heirlooms or any extra xp bonuses.
    Quote Originally Posted by TobiasX View Post
    Demonology Warlock = Beast Mastery Hunter
    Quote Originally Posted by Certin View Post
    Funny ... I've never seen a hunter transform into a huge ass gorilla and come and roflstomp ur ass.

10+ Year Old Account
    You do know that Heirlooms are getting their ExP bonus removed before Cata right? They also won't scale past 80.
    Watch the weather change...

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm going full heirloom, but I am going to quest through all of the zones. All of them.
    Quote Originally Posted by Boubouille View Post
    I can see who votes against that, and I can ban. Just saying.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mynta View Post
    You do know that Heirlooms are getting their ExP bonus removed before Cata right?
    source or not happening.

доверять надежде означает знать отчаяние

Quote Originally Posted by Mynta View Post
    You do know that Heirlooms are getting their ExP bonus removed before Cata right? They also won't scale past 80.
    2nd part of your post is true, 1st part isnt. Thats just rumor.

Ill probably level my first toon without heirlooms, mostly because im starting on a new server and have no heirlooms, but I do play to xfer one of my current 80s over with all my old heirlooms (essentially full sets for every kind of character). I already have one 80 there (my hunter) but i forgot to send heirlooms with him lol.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0H3-N9zoI5c Amazing video of 60+ devilsaurs raiding Undercity!

My God, what a horrible creation. People seeing what they want? Thank God they tried to shy away from that. I know it pisses me off when I'm in an heroic raid, yet in the back of my head all I can think is 'some casual player is playing a heroic dungeon and not wiping.' -Vodkarn

The exp bonus won't work past 80, nor will they scale. Current heirlooms will still work all the way from 1-80 just the way they always have. For the OP, I'd recommend not using heirlooms until you've finished the starter zone, since it's tuned fairly tightly for the levels and gear you gain inside. Once you're done with that zone, gear up and roll out.

Yay, I'm glad I'm not the only one who wants to "go commando" so to speak hehe. I probably will, I just need to decide whether to wear cloth and forgo my all-leather buff or redo my stockpile and find some more spellpower leather.

10+ Year Old Account
    Poll would be nice, and yes I am using heirlooms to level my worgen hunter