Poll: What's your raid leaders role?

15+ Year Old Account

Your raid leader's role?

I am going to make a new guild for Cataclysm raiding (as you can see in my signature). That means I will probably end up as a raid leader inside this guild, but I've never experienced any healer being raid leader before (been in 5 different guilds). I'm pretty sure it's posible, but is it efficient? I suppose so if there's many other guilds who does it.

Therefor I would like to know what your main raid leader's role is (tank, healer, melee, ranged)?

From my experience healers tend to be too caught up with the health bars. But that's just MY experience!

I was raid leader (I'm dps) for the late part of TBC (early Hyjal and BT forward) and in the rest was always leaded by another dps.

15+ Year Old Account
    I've healed all raids and led most of em. From Hogger to Arthas.
    The only problem I have with leading wrath raids is telling people a quote from ron white.
    "LEAN THE WAY I LEAN G** **M*IT!"

Made by Ariyana!

Pretty much every raid leader I've had from Molten Core to ICC (in guild at least) has been a healer. If you can lead, you can lead as a healer.

10+ Year Old Account
    Main Tank, should always be who the RL is imo.
    You can tell WoW changed the MMO for good when players started complaining about the amount of time they sink, into a time sink.

10+ Year Old Account
    We have two raid leaders that split the job, one is a paladin tank, and the other is a elemental/resto shaman. He doesn't usually play melee, because it's easier for him to see whats going on at range. He recently respecc'd to enhance for a change of pace, however.
    S (moderator)
    P (WoW Gen, Pets/Mog/Ach, Fun/Chat Zone)
    L (guidelines*)
    E (WoW gen rules*)
    N (my art*)
    D (Pikachu BEST Pokemon)
    A (Sensational™)

Guild/raid leader was a bear, he left wow a few months back, so he promoted a holy priest to guild/raid leader.

The best raid leaders I've had have always been tanks. They not only control the tempo of trash but typically have vantage points that favor them taking the lead and 'barking out' orders.

10+ Year Old Account
    Role in the group doesn't/shouldn't effect whether you can raid lead. The deciding factor should be, do you know all of the fights well enough to explain them as well as explaining tactics. And by all of the fights, that even includes trash, not solely boss fights. Also, you need to be able to pay attention to 9 or 24 other people, and be capable to announce when something happens or needs done throughout any given fight. And be able to adjust to the loss of either certain members or a certain number of members. If you can do those things and still play your character to it's fullest potential, you can raid lead.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sirsimeon
    Ahoy there, Captain Crybuckets, be that some QQ I see? Yarr!
    Quote Originally Posted by Voltair View Post
    Yo Dawg I heard you like to QQ, so I put some QQ in your QQ so you can QQ while you QQ
    I enjoy creative ways to call people out on whining. If I see any, they're likely to end up here.

Quote Originally Posted by iLive View Post
    I am going to make a new guild for Cataclysm raiding (as you can see in my signature). That means I will probably end up as a raid leader inside this guild, but I've never experienced any healer being raid leader before (been in 5 different guilds). I'm pretty sure it's posible, but is it efficient? I suppose so if there's many other guilds who does it.

Therefor I would like to know what your main raid leader's role is (tank, healer, melee, ranged)?
    There is a reason most top raiding guilds have class/role leaders. Don't make the mistake of burdening yourself with the responsibility of running the entire raid. Get some people to help you.

Quote Originally Posted by volescue View Post
    There is a reason most top raiding guilds have class/role leaders. Don't make the mistake of burdening yourself with the responsibility of running the entire raid. Get some people to help you.
    While I agree that more than one person should run a guild, unless you're in an extremely serious guild looking to be world/server firsts then you shouldn't go to the lengths of class officers. Too many people at the officer role/higher authority can be much more harmful than good.

Mechagnome
    10+ Year Old Account
    Mine tanks.

My guild/raid leader was a healer, which served us pretty well because since he was focused on healing bars, he could call people out when they failed, since failing to do something properly in an encounter often results in taking increased damage.

He also just seemed very situationally aware in general, always calling out ability CD and phase transitions. However, I found having a healer as raid leader worked well. Being able to call people out on the spot really makes them pay attention and try not to fail again

Quote Originally Posted by Irony View Post
    Main Tank, should always be who the RL is imo.
    Mind expounding on your reasoning here?

All of my raid leaders have been healers or dps save one during TBC that was a Tank(switched to healer in Wrath). I've almost always preferred dps RL's(the RL is usually the ML as well) for no other reason than it doesn't slow the group down too much for a dps to hang back and pass out loot.

Tank/Healer

10+ Year Old Account
    I disagree with a lot of people who think a tank should be the raid leader.

In my experience, the most important members of a raid are the tanks, and the tank healers. NEITHER of these roles should be the raid leader because they cannot have a full overview of the raid due to the nature of their role.

A ranged DPS typically makes the best raid leader, since they typically have a full view of the battlefield and are able to see what the tanks are doing and where they need a be. A melee DPS is doable too, but not as effective.

EDIT: That being said though, our vent usually consists of the raid leader telling the tanks or DPS what needs to happen, and the tanks coordinating between themselves to get the job done. Tanks need to be (and should be) very vocal in what they are doing.
    Quote Originally Posted by BattlemasterSkarab View Post
    GOD's ARMAGEDDON and DOOM'S DAY!!!!!!.... Imagine that...
    4 apocalyptic horsemen
    Sky turned red
    Sun turned black
    All WoW servers down

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dedweight View Post
    Mind expounding on your reasoning here?

All of my raid leaders have been healers or dps save one during TBC that was a Tank(switched to healer in Wrath). I've almost always preferred dps RL's(the RL is usually the ML as well) for no other reason than it doesn't slow the group down too much for a dps to hang back and pass out loot.
    Bias basically. I've always had the best success with RL who are the MT. Would always know who fucked up, would always know went wrong and would always know where to improve. The MT for me at least always seems to know whats going.
    You can tell WoW changed the MMO for good when players started complaining about the amount of time they sink, into a time sink.