1. #1
    The Patient stalling's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    in the hearts and souls of the nation!
    Posts
    281

    would this work?

    Hey I am in the market for a budget gaming pc, in reality the only game i will be playing on this is wow.
    I am looking for something around the 750-850$ Canadian mark, so far the biggest contender is this:

    CPU: AMD Athlon™II X2 250 Dual-Core CPU w/ HyperTransport Technology [-10]
    HDD: 640GB SATA-III 6.0Gb/s 64MB Cache 7200RPM HDD [-19] (Single Hard Drive)
    MEMORY: 4GB (2GBx2) DDR3/1333MHz Dual Channel Memory (Corsair or Major Brand)
    MOTHERBOARD: GigaByte GA-880GM-USB3 AMD 880G Chipset Support DDR3 Ultra Durable™3 Socket AM3 mATX Mainboard w/ Built-in ATI HD4200 Video, 7.1 HD Audio, GbLAN, HDMI, USB3.0, SATA-II, RAID, 1 Gen2 PCIe, 1 PCIe X1, & 2 PCI [-15]
    SOUND: HIGH DEFINITION ON-BOARD 7.1 AUDIO
    VIDEO: ATI Radeon HD 5450 1GB DDR2 16X PCIe Video Card [-40] (Major Brand Powered by ATI)

    http://www.cyberpowerpc.com/system/Mega_Special_II/

    yeah its a bit on the cheap side but including windows 7 and shipping from the US it fits right into my budget

    Basically I'm looking for alternatives to this, so any suggestion are welcome

    Skylar, The Twilight Shadow.
    Shan'do Ninsho Wisepaw, Wardancer and future Shodo-Pan.

  2. #2
    Pandaren Monk Dethh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Jersey
    Posts
    1,992
    http://ncix.com/ is in Canada cheaper shipping good prices.

  3. #3
    The Patient stalling's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    in the hearts and souls of the nation!
    Posts
    281
    that website didn't really have anything I want, however I assume that this would be acceptable?

    http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product...82E16883227267

    Skylar, The Twilight Shadow.
    Shan'do Ninsho Wisepaw, Wardancer and future Shodo-Pan.

  4. #4
    THe radion 5450 is intended for HTPC use as a video decoder card. It's performance as a 3D accelerator is terrible.

    The athalon chips are versions of the phenom 2 with all of the level 3 cache memory either disabled or not cut into the silicon leaving them terrible for any sort of CPU intensives tasks (Wow is very CPU intensive). Dual core processors are also quickly becoming inadequate as more and more programs are being written to effectively utilize quad core CPUs.

    At the very least you want a Phenom 2 processor and nothing worse than a radion 5670. That system will still struggle with wow on high graphical settings but it should be playable for a few years.

    Video is a Palit GTS450. Main display is a 24" full HD TV. Secondary display is an ACER 19" lcd at 1440x900.

  5. #5
    The Patient stalling's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    in the hearts and souls of the nation!
    Posts
    281
    Quote Originally Posted by Moobious View Post
    THe radion 5450 is intended for HTPC use as a video decoder card. It's performance as a 3D accelerator is terrible.

    The athalon chips are versions of the phenom 2 with all of the level 3 cache memory either disabled or not cut into the silicon leaving them terrible for any sort of CPU intensives tasks (Wow is very CPU intensive). Dual core processors are also quickly becoming inadequate as more and more programs are being written to effectively utilize quad core CPUs.

    At the very least you want a Phenom 2 processor and nothing worse than a radion 5670. That system will still struggle with wow on high graphical settings but it should be playable for a few years.

    so the second system I posted with the NVIDIA GeForce GT220 1GB and phenom 2 x4 is ideal for the price?

    Skylar, The Twilight Shadow.
    Shan'do Ninsho Wisepaw, Wardancer and future Shodo-Pan.

  6. #6
    The second system is overall much better. The video card in it is still on the weak side but you shouldn't have any issues doing 25m raids with it.

    As it is a video card isn't a difficult upgrade and a phenom 2 965 should be good for a wile so it's NBD to upgrade the video later on when you have more monies.

    Video is a Palit GTS450. Main display is a 24" full HD TV. Secondary display is an ACER 19" lcd at 1440x900.

  7. #7
    The Patient stalling's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    in the hearts and souls of the nation!
    Posts
    281
    Quote Originally Posted by Moobious View Post
    The second system is overall much better. The video card in it is still on the weak side but you shouldn't have any issues doing 25m raids with it.

    As it is a video card isn't a difficult upgrade and a phenom 2 965 should be good for a wile so it's NBD to upgrade the video later on when you have more monies.
    Awesome, I was thinking of just buying a separate ATI 5000 series graphics card, probably the HD 5770 and just installing it myself anyways. so yeah looks like I have found my new rig

    Skylar, The Twilight Shadow.
    Shan'do Ninsho Wisepaw, Wardancer and future Shodo-Pan.

  8. #8
    Pandaren Monk Dethh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Jersey
    Posts
    1,992
    Quote Originally Posted by stalling View Post
    Awesome, I was thinking of just buying a separate ATI 5000 series graphics card, probably the HD 5770 and just installing it myself anyways. so yeah looks like I have found my new rig
    You could probably just upgrade it instead of buying another video card.

  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by stalling View Post
    Awesome, I was thinking of just buying a separate ATI 5000 series graphics card, probably the HD 5770 and just installing it myself anyways. so yeah looks like I have found my new rig
    You could just order the whole complete rig from cyberpowerpc or ibuypower that way you aren't buying 2 video cards.

    Video is a Palit GTS450. Main display is a 24" full HD TV. Secondary display is an ACER 19" lcd at 1440x900.

  10. #10
    Bloodsail Admiral
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Sheffield, United Kingdom
    Posts
    1,053
    If its not quad core (or i5 750 or i7), with an ati 5750 or higher (or an equivilant nvidea) then dont buy it. Im using the 5450 now as it goes, and i can confirm its a pretty terrible graphics card. I say that, but what im trying to say is, i play on ultra on live, without shadows and have 60 fps everywhere (30 fps in crystalsong forest) and on the PTR the new water effects KILL my FPS. Im upgrading to a 5770 in the new month or so before cataclysm.

  11. #11
    Pandaren Monk Dethh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Jersey
    Posts
    1,992
    Quote Originally Posted by Warchief94 View Post
    If its not quad core (or i5 750 or i7), with an ati 5750 or higher (or an equivilant nvidea) then dont buy it. Im using the 5450 now as it goes, and i can confirm its a pretty terrible graphics card. I say that, but what im trying to say is, i play on ultra on live, without shadows and have 60 fps everywhere (30 fps in crystalsong forest) and on the PTR the new water effects KILL my FPS. Im upgrading to a 5770 in the new month or so before cataclysm.
    I have 9800gtx I didn't notice any graphical lag from new water effects. I put everything to max allowed on ptr and shadows to 0 didnt notice much difference from live and ptr was way more populated.

  12. #12
    A 5670 is fine for wow at moderate resolutions. It will suck it up for other games but wow is so CPU bound that it can run well on some pretty modest graphical hardware.

    Video is a Palit GTS450. Main display is a 24" full HD TV. Secondary display is an ACER 19" lcd at 1440x900.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •