Thread: Prot PVP 4.01 ?

Prot PVP 4.01 ?

I've been wondering has anyone tried out Protret pvp on Beta or PTR? I've heard stories about Avenger's Shield Critting for 18k easy and I guess Hammer of the Righteous isn't a joke either hitting for 15k+ . At the moment we know Ret spec is a joke when it comes to PVP (4.01) . So I figured why not go Protret ? I know the spec doesn't have a gap closer but LAOTL is a joke . Also yes Protret is most likely easily Kittable but so is Ret atm I'm not asking if protret will be viable for arena season 9 or anything . I'm just wondering is Protret the way to go while BGing since Ret pvp is broken as soon as 4.01 Hits live. If anyone has any Protret PVP info such as Rev up time for Holy power and such that would be great I just want to have fun BGing on my pally until Cata Drops and as its stand right now Ret spec wont cut it

10+ Year Old Account
    Go Holy and have a blast.
    OT: Most of the pros for pret died when they took hotr and shield slam away from the awesomeness that it was.

Quote Originally Posted by Tykku View Post
    Go Holy and have a blast.
    Yeah I most likely will if Prot is done for pvp as well. Plus Holy did a nice Dps boost so BGing should be a bit of fun

As of now on the PTR a prot's only source for holy power is crusader strike which has a 3 sec cooldown.

(Hammer of the righteous doesn't hit anywhere near that hard and is basically a thunderclap clone that generates 1 holy power...but it shares a cooldown with crusader strike..so it won't be used in pvp)

Alot of your holy power will go to healing, but if you do manage to get in range of a target with 3 hp Shield of the Righteous can hit for upwards of 18-20k depending on your amount of attackpower from gear/trinkets/procs and wings. Shield of the righteous is our nuke.

Avenger's shield can hit pretty hard as well sometimes about %75 as hard as shield of the righteous, plus it silences. However the Daze effect is gone and the glyph that is supposed to add it back isn't working.

So for bgs prot would work, but if you're doing anything arena-like or competitive pvp the stronger self-healing, gap closers, repent, and interrupt of the ret spec are far better.

I dueled with my 1066 resilience retri pala vs another prot pala who used retri gear.
    avenger shields 12k each, hammer 9k each.
    i kinda felt silly with my 3 holy power TV who hits 3k...

Quote Originally Posted by gilfer View Post
    I dueled with my 1066 resilience retri pala vs another prot pala who used retri gear.
    avenger shields 12k each, hammer 9k each.
    i kinda felt silly with my 3 holy power TV who hits 3k...
    When you're dueling a prot pally...kite them. You'll do about the same damage to eachother from range, but you'll be generating holy power while they will not.

Deleted
    What if the prot paladin whit ret gear uses a 2 hand. whit all the buff's in prot to CS, wont it do 1.2*1,6*1,3=2.5 more damage. and when you got 3 stack of HP, put on a shield and do the damage whit SoTR.
    I was also think of wait for a block. when shield is on to get the Reckoning buff, and use the 2 hand to do the extra damage
    Last edited by mmoc1c742d5ba7; 2010-10-11 at 01:24 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Gonus View Post
    What if the prot paladin whit ret gear uses a 2 hand. whit all the buff's in prot to CS, wont it do 1.2*1,6*1,3=2.5 more damage. and when you got 3 stack of HP, put on a shield and do the damage whit SoTR.
    I was also think of wait for a block. when shield is on to get the Reckoning buff, and use the 2 hand to do the extra damage
    It'd increase CS and judge damage, but don't forget that ret also gets a %20 2hand weapon damage bonus from ret specializaiton. In addition you'd be losing all of your avenger's shield procs from CS since you won't have a shield on when you use it...that's alot of potential damage and silences.

Deleted
    was think of change to shield when the proc coms up.

You'd be wasting alot of GCD's swapping weapons. Given the that proc is only useful when your AS is cooling down...and its 15 sec CD is already kinda short as it is.

Even if CS did hit harder it wouldn't be worth swapping out for due to potential loss of gcds and avengers shields.

I think I remember reading your guide once Synthaxx, when you played prot in pvp...you really took survivability to heart, going so far as recommending wearing defense gear to get Argent Defender's full benefit.

I ended up going full str protret in this latest season and it served me far better than ret did. (smourne was just obtained this past raid lockout so i never pvp'd with it in arena)