Thread: New GPU for WoW

Deleted

Smile New GPU for WoW

Hi everyone
    Sorry if I miss some information I`ll add it by request. Basically I want to play WoW at 1920x1080 with High settings (without Shadows of course).
    So here is my current system. It wasn`t initially for games but QA and beta testing.
    CPU: Intel Core2Quad Q6600 at 2.4GHz
    RAM: 8GB DDR2
    MB: Asus P5B
    VGA: nVidia 7400 or something like this never looked it up
    PSU: 400W I believe but this will be the first upgrade
    I`m from Denmark so I`ll be very happy to receive some links+prices from the Danish market. Also besides WoW I would like to play games like the new CMR: DiRT 3, maybe some shooters like CoD and so on.

I was looking after the ATi HD 5770 and GTX 460 both 1GB versions. So ... it`s up to you

consider the Radeon HD5870.. cost a bit more but it is also alot better.

Deleted
    Costs more than 100 EUR more so it`s a bit out of my budget :S

Deleted
    Don't listen to that, for WoW there is no preformance difference at all between a GTX460 and a 5870(which is an absolute overkill for WoW) WoW is pretty much based on your CPU power, so maybe it would be wise overclocking yours(you'd need a different cooler tho)

Upgrading that box is not recommended. PSU wont really handle powerful graphics cards, and CPU is really weak for WoW. If you can afford it, scrap the whole box except Windows. If you can't afford, overclock the CPU as far as it goes and buy new graphics card like GTX460 + new PSU.

Overclocking or new CPU is required to run WoW raids faster.
    Never going to log into this garbage forum again as long as calling obvious troll obvious troll is the easiest way to get banned.
    Trolling should be.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Vikzter View Post
    consider the Radeon HD5870.. cost a bit more but it is also alot better.
    But not "Alot" better then 480.
    - Vanilla was legitimately bad; we just didn't know any better at the time - SirCowDog

To take advantage of WoW's graphical settings you will need to upgrade the processor.

As for the 2 video cards you listed pick one the 5770 is cheaper the gtx 460 is faster. I would go 5770 for wow and 460 if you also play other GPU bound games.

Video is a Palit GTS450. Main display is a 24" full HD TV. Secondary display is an ACER 19" lcd at 1440x900.

10+ Year Old Account
    Nvidia GTX460 1Gb - AWESOME Card - I got one last month - Best NZ$350 I spent...

Deleted
    Hey guys
    I just ordered an XFX HD5770 1GB XXX edition (comes with Stalker and AvP games), a new 500W PSU and ARCTIC COOLING FREEZER 7 PRO REV.2 cooler which should be able to push my CPU to 3GHz without too much heating. Thanks for the nice replies and I hope I`ll enjoy some quality raiding soon :P

10+ Year Old Account
    Grats! May it bring u Many hours of pleasure

Quote Originally Posted by mart1nn View Post
    Hey guys
    I just ordered an XFX HD5770 1GB XXX edition (comes with Stalker and AvP games), a new 500W PSU and ARCTIC COOLING FREEZER 7 PRO REV.2 cooler which should be able to push my CPU to 3GHz without too much heating. Thanks for the nice replies and I hope I`ll enjoy some quality raiding soon :P
    Cool beans. I'm a fan of xfx cards myself.

Video is a Palit GTS450. Main display is a 24" full HD TV. Secondary display is an ACER 19" lcd at 1440x900.

just get a gtx 460 anything else would be bottlenecked anyway.

could even go for msi 460 hawk if you plan to upgrade cpu in future for example.

msi 460 hawk does't cost much performs better then a gtx 470 and if overclocked will even perform better then a gtx 480 thats considering your not bottlenecked ofc.

Deleted
    For WoW, I'd rather say the CPU is the bottleneck with a GTX460

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Magekíd View Post
    For WoW, I'd rather say the CPU is the bottleneck with a GTX460
    can someone explain something with this to me, if the Q6600 is going to be the "bottle neck" why when im running WoW on the same CPU, the usage never goes above 40%? is there something im missing here?

Deleted
    That's a question I never hoped to get I personally think it's more like bad coding/utilization/optimization.

eg. You can also monitor the GPU utilization with some drivers, I personally never see my CPU & GPU usage at 100% (never above 50% even) yet I'm not always at 60fps... I don't know why/how exactly this is.

Deleted
    there must be some tweaks you can do to enforce WoW to utilize the cpu better-

Deleted
    If there were any worthy ones I'm sure Blizzard would've implemented them

Deleted
    To be honest I never used the PC for gaming so I am curious how it is going to be. I bought a cooler for the CPU since if it`s not performing good I plan to clock it to 3.0 GHz but I still hope I won`t need to go into that.

Deleted
    Clocking my old PC's E8400 (Core 2 Duo) to 3.6 from 3.0 seemed to make quite a noticeable difference.