Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Refreshing immolate with hand of gul'dan.

I tried out some demo dps at the ptr and I realized that it is almost impossible to keep immolation up with hand of gul'dan :/

Immolation:15 seconds duration
    Hand of gul'dan: 12 seconds cooldown, 2 seconds cast time and 0.2-0.5 secs before gul'dan reach the target.

Do you think blizzard made this with purpose so you can't get away with casting immolation once per bossfight?

And another thing, now with the change to molten core, is there any reason at all to cast shadowbolt? (except for keeping up the 5% crit)

(I'm talking about 4.0.1 regarding incinirate, since you could take imp.immolate instead of bane.)
    Last edited by quez; 2010-10-11 at 08:41 PM.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by quez View Post
    I tried out some demo dps at the ptr and I realized that it is almost impossible to keep immolation up with hand of gul'dan :/

Immolation:15 seconds duration
    Hand of gul'dan: 12 seconds cooldown, 2 seconds cast time and 0.2-0.5 secs before gul'dan reach the target.

Do you think blizzard made this with purpose so you can't get away with casting immolation once per bossfight?

And another thing, now with the change to molten core, is there any reason at all to cast shadowbolt? (except for keeping up the 5% crit)
    Haste? lowers the cast time of HoG.

What would you cast instead of SB? Incin wont do as much damg. ( only when MC is proced)

I've experienced the same on the beta, I think it is very hard to keep up, if you are casting another spell when HoG is off cooldown it is almost impossible to use it to refresh immolate with a 1 sec gap.

Quote Originally Posted by quez View Post
    Impending Doom

last time i checked it on beta it was very easy to maintain immolate with HoG,this was roughly a week ago

Quote Originally Posted by Migari View Post
    Soul FIre when below 35%(?) HP.
    25% just to clear things up for you.

I haven't done too much practical testing, IE raiding/heroics. But with the little I have done it did not seem too too bad to keep immolate with HoG, obviously if you are forced to move a lot for a particular fight you probably cannot do it as easily, but still very doable nonetheless.

When I was messing around with stuff on the PTR a few days ago I didn't have a lot of trouble refreshing Immolate with Hand of Guldan.

Effectively, there are issues refreshing immo with HoG, but i suppose this is where fel flame (lvl 81) comes in help, with its seemingly useless 6 sec refresh..

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by volrat View Post
    Effectively, there are issues refreshing immo with HoG, but i suppose this is where fel flame (lvl 81) comes in help, with its seemingly useless 6 sec refresh..
    naw i think fel flame was really intended to be more of a pvp spell. using this in Pve would give you a dps lose.i think recasting immo would do more damg then Fel flame but i am just guessing

Deleted
    Lol, have you forgotten the fact we can't spec into Emberstorm yet? There won't be any Incinerates nor Soulfires on procs, just Shadowbolts.

Quote Originally Posted by Cursey View Post
    Lol, have you forgotten the fact we can't spec into Emberstorm yet? There won't be any Incinerates nor Soulfires on procs, just Shadowbolts.
    Read the current threads detailing 4.0.1 priorities and rotations. We're still using Soul Fire below 25%, but the result is Haste is much more highly valued for us now.

Although, I guess at EJ they were saying Searing Pain spam would work for Demo too, so you might be able to forego Molten Core and Decimation altogether and just SP spam. Spend offspec points in Affliction or something. lol

Field Marshal
    10+ Year Old Account
    yeah the HoG immolate thing is pretty tight in terms of time, not as in AWESOME BRO DUDE MAN lol. but yeah, right now i think of HoG as a bonus, i shoot for the refresh but if it doesnt land then with as much haste as I have immolate is about 1 second so not a huge loss..

If you use fel flame(and have some level of haste) its not all that hard to refreash immo on your target. Also with haste, eventually fel flame becomes unneeded(unless you are running around like an idiot).

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Daggy1111 View Post
    If you use fel flame(and have some level of haste) its not all that hard to refreash immo on your target. Also with haste, eventually fel flame becomes unneeded(unless you are running around like an idiot).
    except being forced to throw in felflame beats the purpose of HoG to refresh

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Killyox View Post
    except being forced to throw in felflame beats the purpose of HoG to refresh
    Is it even worth it to cast a Felflame over just recasting Immo? Some how I don't think Felflames damage is as good as Immo's initial DD...
    "It's not what we don't know that gets us into trouble; it's what we know for sure that just ain't so." ~ Mark Twain
    "The time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time" ~ Jesus of Nazareth
    "把它放在我的屁股,爸爸" ~ Dalai Lama

Field Marshal
    10+ Year Old Account
    not that it matters now anyways, but cant you only get fel flame at 81? so for this patch, it wont make a difference.

10+ Year Old Account
    The problem only seems to occur if your Haste falls within certain brakets where Immolate's duration is rounded down rather than up to fit in an extra tick. Consequently, you either have eithe a window of less than a second, or a good couple of seconds to get your cast in. Presently, on PTR my Haste (29%) puts me in the 'less than a second' catagory, which means I can't be waiting to finish a cast when HoG comes off cooldown in order for it to refresh. In essence, this means I have to stop casting when I see HoG is about to come off cooldown in order to hammer it the moment it does; not doing so means I loose Immolate.

Fel Flame is a fix for this, but in 4.0.1, I don't have that spell. It's also an awkward fix, since haste is a very dynamic stat, changing with heroism, potions, trinket procs, people providing the buff dying etc. which means whether I'd actually need to cast FF or not will vary according to these circumstances and clearly, it's a DPS gain not to have to cast it. It seems rather stupid to be penalised for having your haste fall within a certain bracket in general, even moreso for to be penalised at different point in a fight because your haste moves in and out of that bracket.

Deleted
    i just played some demo in the beta and i tought my haste was low. i checked it, only 1k haste i was like, "wtf ive lost 600?" then i rememberd my toon is not updated in beta to be same as in live and spellstones is gone... fml

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Sengura View Post
    Is it even worth it to cast a Felflame over just recasting Immo? Some how I don't think Felflames damage is as good as Immo's initial DD...
    havent tested because cant but i would guess immo > FF

if you dont have to move you can just cast new immolate getting full 15 seconds and initial dmg while doing rest of ur rotation.

HoG is meant to refresh immo or demo as haunt does for affli but right now its very clunky. Could make molten core increase immolate duration by 3-6 seconds and would do.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Killyox View Post
    HoG is meant to refresh immo or demo as haunt does for affli but right now its very clunky. Could make molten core increase immolate duration by 3-6 seconds and would do.
    The problem with that is that it reduces the need for Fel Flame, as it's intended purpose is to prevent you dropping your cast time DoTs while moving; extending Immolate just makes that less likely to happen, and thus less desirable to cast FF (not that there's anything else worth casting with the buffs to our Mana regen and LT itself). The better solution would be to cut HoG's cooldown by a couple of seconds.